View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 05:12 PM   #34
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile ADA use and misuse

2000stanggirl:

Jayna, I can certainly sympathize with your son's plight and your battles to make his life bearable and as comfortable as possible. You guys are fighting the good fight together and are to be commended.

When one is confronted with a child's disability of course you will fight for him, as I or any other parent would. Understood.

In my opinion the ADA law is fine until it's misused, as it has been. That doesn't make it a bad law, just a misused law. That should be changed.

As for making playgrounds and such conform, if it's physically possible to do this it should be done. It usually is and not many object. I certainly do not. Sometimes extreme measures are demanded to accomodate certain individuals with handicaps and those have to sometimes be compromised and dealt with one-on-one.

ADA has good intentions but like all well-meaning but sweeping new laws, it can have unintended consequences such as supporting and protecting drug addicts and such, eating up precious resources that could be used elsewhere for people who are truly disabled and need immediate help.

The mis-application of the ADA law is regrettable and I predict that if abuses continue it will be changed when we once again have a Republican House and Senate following the November elections.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote