View Single Post
Old 07-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #76
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Second Amendment observations

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce

That all depends on what you consider a "Well organized mailita."

Personally, some of the gangs in LA have more orginization than the Culpepper minute men ever did, but we don't need to start that argument.
Oh, why not?

First: Rob Reiner is a flaming liberal and has been for years. He doesn't try to hide it, he's proud of it. He hates the Second Amendment and probably a lot of other Amendments but let's concentrate on the Second.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

There are no constitutional rights for groups, only for individuals. Individuals may own guns and can be part of a 'militia' (citizen army). The term: 'The people' means what it says, citizens of the United States. The term 'citizens' is plural, meaning all that fall under that term, not simply military members. The framers recognized the right of self-defense as a preexisting right.

Congress may not infringe on that right and endless attempts by certain groups to take that constitutional right away through twisting the Second Amendment to say what they want it to say is troubling.

Reasonable people have no problem with gun laws that restrict ownership to non-felons, require criminal background checks and waiting periods. That's sensible - although it does little to deter criminals from obtaining weapons as far as I can tell.

It's the determined fight of the 'gun-grabbers' like multi-millionaire Rob Reiner who can hire armed bodyguards for his person and property but wants to ban ordinary citizens from owing a gun under penalty of law that disturb me.

I don't own a gun, never have and probably never wiill but that's my choice. My Constitution says I have the right to own a gun and I have no intention of giving up that right because the Rob Reiners of the world think I should.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote