View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 01:23 PM   #53
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Re: Honest opinions

Originally posted by Rev :

Quote:
I think a person should put forth his honest opinions and ideas as he sees fit (within legal and ethical limits). I don't really see a need for one to bash someone else's opinion to foster his own. If one's ideas are superior to someone else's, I believe the reading public will see that almost immediately.
That assumes that there is no debate present.

Most internet messageboards that deal with politics also are debating forums. While I can postulate a 'conservative' position without bashing liberalism in the process the 'liberal' response will be to attack my position and substitute the opposite position in it's place, in most cases. Conversely, if I wish to dispute a liberal position I have no choice but to point our it's error and explain why this is wrong and/or won't work. To some, any opposition to what they believe, politically, is 'bashing'. In addition, to successfully contend against another's political position, one is almost required to use negative words and even ridicule to make one's point in a manner that will resonate with others.

My experience debating politics on internet forums is that it's not English Gentlemen quietly sipping tea while exchanging pleasantries but a rather rough arena where mockery and ridicule is rampant and even when absent, hard words often are exchanged by advocates and little concern is given to decorum, within the usual loose messageboard guidelines that preclude personal attacks. Even then, things can get ugly, as this thread has shown.

"Bashing' seems to be a relative term and while I don't always need to 'bash' to make a point, in a debate, it's generally necessay to pick apart the opponents argument. We do what is necessary.