Thread: This country
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Wink Judging the Judge

The attacks on Judge John Roberts from the militant feminist/pro-abortion leftists were predicted the moment President Bush nominated the man. No surprises there. This is what they do. However, Judge Roberts appears to have few ideological 'handles' the left can grab onto. This reduces the political leftwing to lying and purposely distorting his record, which will turn off most reasonable people. When all the smoke clears, Judge Roberts will be easily confirmed by the Senate and the left will have lost yet another ideological fight.

The U.S. Supreme Court has done a lot of harm to this nation over the years, including the recent decision in Kelo v New London; that gives towns, cities and states the right to extend 'Eminent Domain' to areas where the existing homes or businesses, which may be in fine condition and operating normally, can now be taken by the government (under Eminent Domain law), then sold or transferred to a private entity (think: Wal-Mart) and commercial facilities built on the property that will generate more tax revenue for the town or city or state. It's a blatant attenuation of citizen property rights and should be overturned - but this kind of absurd ruling has become much more common on this Court in recent decadess. From the dreadful Roe v Wade ruling in 1973 that rested on a judicial belief - not the constitution - to the 2003 Lawrence v Texas decision that codified sodomy (between consenting adults, in private) to a constitutional right, the Supreme Court has been making lousy decisions that have little to no constitutional basis. We need a more 'conservative', constitutionally-oriented Supreme Court. If you believe that, as I do, you hope that Judge John Roberts is confirmed and can help take the Court in a more constitutional direction.

I warned you. Don't get me started.