View Single Post
Old 04-13-2002, 02:01 PM   #9
rbatson

Thumbs up

Congrats!! One of the happiest days of my life was the day I moved in to my own house. Its a tax deduction and gets more valuable with time. I can remember thinking "How am I gonna make these payments?!?!" now you can't even rent a decent place for the amount I'm paying. Interest rates are great right now and you will be soo happy to have that great rate when they go back up.

My suggestions to you.. 1. Get yourself a home 'fix-it yourself' book, it will save you a ton of money. 2. Add a few bucks to the principle on the first payment, if you can, it will save you thousands on the end of the loan(even $1) if you go the whole term. 3. Put some 'emergency' money aside.. you will need it at some point. I suggest $500-1000(I had to save up my 'emergency' $ after I bought the house, but was glad I did).

The house inspector that the others guys mentioned is a real good idea, just make sure he understands that its for the buyer and not the seller (believe it or not, this does make a difference).

Again, congrats!!