Thread: Life
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #38
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Atheists and the 'gods' they don't believe in

Originally posted by bigred90gt :

Quote:
"We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen F. Roberts
You misquoted the original statement made by Mr. Roberts in an internet debate in 1995.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

It's a good line - if you're an atheist. Unfortunately, that's all it is: a snappy comeback with little substance. The evidence for a Creator is all around us and most of the 'gods' atheists like to compare to the God of the Bible are simply human inventions. No founder of any religion ever claimed to be God incarnate, as Jesus did and no founder of any religion that matters anymore (I'm discounting Greek myths which most sentient people understand are myths) ever rose from the dead, was seen by hundreds and offered Himself as a living sacrifice for man's sin, then ascended into heaven to prepare a place for us. Most 'gods' some people worship - or used to - are either just a part of creation ('nature') or a fabrication. While the bible was written by man and contains much that a hardened non-believer can mock and dismiss (as they do, regularly) the true atheist never believed in any 'god' and their attempts to pretend that they do and that all 'gods' are somehow equal is simply foolish, but all too common in those never-ending debates, which are usually a big waste of time.