MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Default Put my car on the street or not??

What do you guys think?? I would like to put my car on the street..and drive it around. I think it would look good on the street. I Would have to drop the compresion to around 15:1 instead of 16:1. I'm not gonna use it as an everyday driver, but more less a weekend vehicle. I'm gonna leave the parachutes on and the wheelie bars, and put on some ET Streets. Only thing that concerns me is that the thing is UNGODLY LOUD. It's got 5" exhaust with Dynomax Bullets...so it makes some freakingly loud music. What's your guys opinions?? If you think i should i can put it on the road pretty soon. Thanks guys.

Eric
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:39 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Racing engines aren't built to commute around. You'll wear it out way too fast. Just my opinion, but it's a crapload of money to have invested into the car to wear it out fast. Kinda like doing burnouts with Blizzaks.

Would turn some heads though, lol.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:48 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Track is track, street is street

Bad idea.

Not only for the strain you'll put on it but every dork on the road will want to race you, parking (and leaving it) will be out of the question and the super-loud exhaust will get you more tickets and/or unwanted cop attention than you ever thought possible.

If you actually raced anyone the potential for an accident would be high due to the car's non-street set-up and extreme performance. If you never race it, what's the point of driving it on the street?

I know one or two guys who had track cars that they tried driving on the street and both gave it up - fast - for most of the reasons I've just given.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:39 PM   #4
rbatson

Thumbs down

Not a good idea.. a waste of money too..
Old 05-21-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking hmmm...I SEEEM TO REMEMBER!!!!!!!

Hi Eric...
Ummmm....I dont know if you remember, but I seem to remember many, many, months ago,(might have been last year). that SOMEONE GOT PULLED over by the cops and was told to keep the car off the street cuz it was too frigin loud!!!??????
~~~DOES THAT RING A BELL FOR YA????? ~~~
(I have a GREAT memory!)
I say keep it on the track!!!! You've got it where you want it, i wouldn't mess w/ it now!!!!! You put too much into it!!!! IN MY HONEST OPINION! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #6
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

a seven sec street car ....go for it

actually it would depend on what the street scene is like out your way ........around here the street scene is pretty big ,alot of peaple come out on the weekends in this area to cruise and hang out ........most of the guy's with serios race cars will trailer them ,park the trailer out of way and drive a few passes then park and show the car .......as long as thats all there doing the the local law is pretty leinieant....
it alway's cool too see a fast car cruising ,i say if there's a cool street cruising scene around your area then do it ......

radical your car would have fit right in at ocean city this weekend .....hell i actually saw a couple a cars that might have been running similar times ,driving down the street ....ground shaking ,windows rattling ,car alarms going off .....it was cool
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:27 AM   #7
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Yeah i would really like to put it on the street and ride it some. LIke trailer it into town and then just ride it a couple laps and then pull it back home. Last time I drove it to our local car show in town, everybody just dived on it as soon as i parked it. I got alot of looks in town when it went by. The car will idle all the way up to 2300 rpm's, so it will idle most of the time in town. My biggest concern is Noise levels.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #8
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

noise would def be a concearn with those compression levels .............now aday's the law seems to be getting a little bit more lenient about noise ......between your average harly davidson and the local import farting around .....it seems as long as it's got mufflers then it's legal .......

but!! it would most likely depend on the law officer and depend on the area your in ........there's places to cruise in Pa that the law wouldn't bother you .....but there's places in Pa where you'd give ol rosco p coltrain a heart attack when you drive by ......depends on the places you want to take it .......alot of times if a place is infamouse for fast cars or if there's show's or events then the law won't bother you .......not sure what its like in Va but there are places where nobody would bother you

i'd check out the street scene ,see what other peaple are getting away with .......or check into how you could muffle it better .....mayby you could set it up with an extra set of removable mufflers
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:51 AM   #9
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

I wish they made a 5 inch high-flow convertor. lmao The mufflers i got on it now are 5 inch dynomax bullet mufflers. Their right under the front two seats. So..I don't know whether to switch to a different muffler for quieter use (yeah right) or just forget about my whole idea. Or i could just buy a $5500-$6500 mustang that's fixed up halfway decent throw some longtubes, 3 inch h-pipe, 1 chamber flows, and bam go make some nice noise!!!
Old 05-22-2002, 11:56 AM   #10
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Definetely!

I just spent the whole weekend watching barely street legal (and NOT LEGAL ) cars cruise around Ocean City, MD! It was the COOLEST thing I've ever seen. Its pretty easy to make a car balls out fast on the track, but harder to make that same car able to handle street duty as well! If the cops in your area are assholes, you might want to give it some thought. Personally, I'd never have a car that I couldn't drive to the grocery store, so I say go buy some milk and ice cream....and use that bumpy idle to make milkshakes on the way home!!!!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:39 PM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i dont know radicalgt, they are coming down hard on the noise law in chatt town, mainly because of the ricers & ghetto bass crap, now they are going for exhaust noise levels too, thank's to the, i lost & im furious rice boy's, they never used to bother the stang's , f-bodies etc till now, they even ordered a bunch of sound level machines now, i aint got to worry about it, with my b. a. ford exhaust, heheh, plus man you have the engine i dream of, a waste on the street, even though you could smoke viper's, z-06's etc, & make them like it, oh well jmo. see ya

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:01 PM   #12
1fastchick
Registered Member

Personally I would only do it when you are going to a car show or a close local event.
No matter how "cool" it seems its not worth the money in parts and also taking the chance that a stupid ricer or old lady no paying attention plows into you. Thats my guy lost his 11sec convert. Someone t-boned him doing about 50 mph and completely destroyed his car. Plus cops around here aresn't to pleased with the 5in exhausts on V8s they tend to piss off the old people

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:03 PM   #13
srv1
Get down.....

thats all you would hear is rumble and sirens! you get my point.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:18 PM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

I say go for it! If you think you would enjoy a casual cruise through the streets of wherever you live, and the car is street legal and the cops wont hassle you, why not?

If it makes you happy, and its legal, do it.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:28 PM   #15
JRowlette
Registered Member

I bet driving thru a tunnel would be fun!
Or trying to place an order at the Taco-Bell Drive-thru
Boy I could have some fun with that thing
'90 Black Notch: TFS TW heads, Stage 1 Cam, Street Intake, FMS 1.6 rockers, Kirban AFPR, 24# injectors, C&L 76mm MAF, 70mm Accufab TB/EGR, Tremec 3550, SPEC Stage 2 & Billet Flywheel, Alum DS, 4.10's w/ 31 Spline Eaton, Full MAC exhaust, etc.
286.7 RWHP @ 5100rpm, 313.7 TQ w/stock MAF, Inj, TB, and no tune
Race weight : 3090 # w/ driver
New Best - 12.82@107.9 w/1.74 60'
JRowlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 02:28 AM   #16
Mustanguy

Thumbs up You build a car to enjoy it

I see many cars that are basically built for drag racing but still the owners take them out on weekend cruisin,they've never had any regrets,hell you build the car to enjoy it...go out and drive it !

Old 05-23-2002, 07:08 AM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

Do you really have to have an avatar of a cop car? I see enough of that nightmare in my rear view mirror, no desire for it here.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:14 AM   #18
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Phuck It! If you can afford that engine... You can afford to drive it a little on the street.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote