MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-01-2002, 11:23 PM   #1
andy669
Registered Member

Default Local murder trial of a state trooper.

About a year ago at a roadside safety checkpoint Master SGT. Stanley Talbot was killed when a driver drove off and the Sgt. got attached to his car. After he was dragged for several blocks before becoming unattached, he was hit by another police officer who commandeered a citizens car back at the checkpoint.

The link below should have a pretty good history of the trial from last week. The jury started deliberations today.

From what I have been able to gather, the trooper was still alive when he fell from the fleeing car. I think it was the pursuing car that actually killed the Sgt.. However, I dont think the defendant should be let out of jail anytime soon. In my mind, the fact remains a Master Sgt. died as a direct result of his actions.

What do you guys think?

Murder Trial

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 11:36 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Its unfortunate this kind of tragety still happens.

I bet if this misguided sack of bones didn't run in the first place, no deaths would have followed.

"Hot lead down range."
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up I agree with the jury on this one

andy:

I read the lined story and as I see it, this wasn't first degree murder. First degree murder involves premeditation (planning) and an intent to kill.

This Posey guy ran off from a safety stop and the trooper (Talbot) accidentally got caught on his car, then another trooper chasing Posey accidentally hit (and killed) the first trooper (Talbot). Very tragic and totally unnecessary but not First Degree murder.

Reckless homicide (we call it manslaughter in my state) sounds about right in this case. The outrage will be if this Posey dude gets less than the maximum on all counts and gets to serve the sentences for the lesser crimes concurrently, which is insane considering a man was killed by this fool's criminal actions.

This is why it's tough to be a cop. You never know when the driver of the next car you stop will try to kill you, usually for next to nothing, like some drugs in the glove compartment or an outstsnding warrant for some petty crime.

Check back on August 28th to let us know what happened.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

I think the jury did the right thing too. One of the jurors, when being interviewed, said this of the First Degree Murder charge: ``This is what I wanted in the first place,'' he said of the verdict. ``I don't think this would have been a first-degree murder case if (the victim) weren't an Illinois State cop. If (Rock Island police officer) Shane Sharp wasn't a cop, I think there would be two people on trial.''

I agree with that 100%

On the subject of why Mr. Posey was eligible for the charge of First Degree Murder, this was posted in a new news column: he and another juror explained to others that even if Master Sgt. Talbot didn't die from falling from the car, Mr. Posey still could be found guilty of murder because there was a strong probability his actions would lead to the trooper's death.

Apparently intent does not have to be present.

Maybe I am missing something, but why does Reckless Homocide carry a possible 2 to 5 years sentence, but Leaving the scene and Failure to report carry 3 to 14?? Seems bass ackwards to me.

I have watched this case diligently from the outset. I will post the sentencing on August 28th.

Andy

Old 08-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

He only got 12 years Given back the time that he has spent in jail, and the 'day for day' thing, he could be out in less than 5 years.

But on the bright side Mr. Posey is a changed man He has completed his G.E.D. and even started to read the bible.

Gimme a F'in break.

His family was all over the news crying racial discrimination over his receiving the maximum sentence for leaving the scene. Even the Pastor from his families church was on the news spewing racial nonsense.

"Nevermind the fact that a Master SGT. State Trooper is dead. Lets try to make everyone think its all a setup. Just because we're black, we got the maximum sentence."

Thats essentially what they were saying. It makes me sick.

Andy

Old 08-28-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

it's disgusting, here we go with the RACISM crap again, he caused a man to die period. i dont care what color he is, that isnt the point, the point is he got a person killed, that's it. jesse jackson & his idiot's will be running up there soon, no doubt, btw i am not a racist at all, but the clinton crap got all this whineing started, grow up , you commited a crime , face the music.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:58 AM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
the clinton crap got all this whineing started, grow up , you commited a crime , face the music.
Absolutely right...fortunately it seems like the majority of the American people are getting sick of WHINY minorities and women that try to shirk responsibility with their skin color and genetalia...I have a feeling that within a few decades, that kind of behavior will become unacceptable (hopefully). I just think its absurd that idiots try to claim clemency because their PEOPLE/ANCESTORS/CREEPS THEY NEVER EVEN KNEW were unjustly treated...grow the **** up already
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:54 AM   #8
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

That's a pretty crazy story, I think he got off pretty easy, and he is still complaining that he got a tough sentance cause he's black. I think we live in a more educated society that, that isn't an excuse anymore. We live in a world where everyone is equal no matter what is 'special' about them. They want to put a end to racisim, then stop bringing it up. I'm not racisist in anyway, but this pisses me off when sh*t like this happens. They really should think about the guy who died, trying to make the world a safer place. Maybe they should think of the family he left behind.

My 0.02
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote