MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2001, 06:07 PM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Post HELP! Crappy plastic intake blows its lid...

Well, I knew it was coming, but I just didn't think so soon....
The crappy stock plastic intake is now toast, and there's a problem....
Although the service department at the dealership admits the part is a piece of crap, they will not replace it for free for 2 reasons...

1. (I knew this was coming) The supercharger.
Since it technically voids all warranties, as far as the dealership is concerned, the 7 year extension for the intake is null and void. Now I haven't gotten my lawyer coat on yet and went down there and said, "By law, you have to PROVE it was the supercharger". But if I have to do that do I really want them working on my car?

2. The "tech" guy said that although there indeed is a TSB on the issue, the 98 model year doesn't come up with the problem in their OASIS database. (Although its the exact same intake as the 96-97)

Any advice here? I NEED my car, and I don't have the time and money to mess around with this dealership. The "tech" guy admits that these intakes freely blow with no mods at all, yet they won't replace it under the TSB. I asked him, "If I take the car, pay to have the supercharger removed, and took it to a dealership, would they replace it?" He said "probably"... So what the hell is the difference? The ******* supercharger was making a whole ******* 3lbs of boost because of the whole MAF ordeal.... (which I finally got replaced)

To sum it all up, any advice would be appreciated....

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
Ricer 1: What the heck was that!?
Ricer 2: I don't know. It looked kind of like a yellow SN95 Mustang.
Ricer 1: Nah, fast SN95 Mustangs don't exist... Must have been a mirage or something...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 10:36 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

I don't know.....I think your best bet is to rip of the supercharger and then take it to another shop dealer, I don't know what else to do. You would probably just have to disasemble the most major pieces that are obvious. Does the car still work? I've always wondered about these plastic intakes
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:46 AM   #3
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Get a lawyer to talk some crap and threaten them into doing it. Hopefully that will work, they know they're supposed to fix it. What a pain in the butt. There is no aftermarket better intake you could put on there?

Sky

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, 2 1/4" exhaust, and 4.10's.
332RWHP@5500
351RWTQ@3750
Runs on 87 Octane!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 08:01 AM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

Actually, thats a good idea. If you have any friends who are lawyers, just get them to write a letter on their lawyer stationary. They don't even have to threaten any real legal action, just explain the problem (intake, covered under warranty) and how to fix it (you give new one) on the lawyer stationary, should scare em. My dad is a lawyer, and he does that whenever he wants to get something done, works wonders!
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

As far as I know, Ford Racing is the only other intake you can get for these... I think it costs over a grand with the install kit.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:48 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Well, that definitely sucks, Hammer. You might not want to hear this, but when my intake blew in my 97 GT, it was a blessing in disguise, cause the dealership hooked me up on a new GT which I like 10 times more. Now your car is sweet, so Im not saying to sell it, but instead, look at it in a positive light. If i were you, I would just put a new, aftermarket intake on. First rule of racing: Always replace broken parts with better ones. Good luck either way. Let us know how it turns out.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 02:05 AM   #7
T_Bone
Registered Member

The tech is right. The TSB is only on 96-97's. Your 98 is not covered. It's at your expense. Damn, I'm glad I sold that GT and got the Cobra after the POS intake cracked. After that, I never trusted the car. I'm sure the supercharger was the cause of the cracked intake in your case. Sorry.
My suggestions would be to: a)sell the s/c and buy a roots type blower that replaces the POS factory intake. or b) sell the s/c, replace the intake with another POS plastic one, sell the GT, then use the money made from selling the s/c and GT to buy a Cobra.
JMHO...
Good luck, whatever you decide to do

------------------
T-Bones 1997 Cobra
Wht/blk, Pro 5.0,FRPP 4.10's, aluminum driveshaft, FRPP throttle body, C&L 80mm MAF, K&N, Steeda U/D pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster, Flowmasters, s/f connectors, FRPP pro springs, BBK caster/cambers.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:27 AM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thanks for the responses guys...
In a span of a month I've gone from excited to totally despondent (and broke to boot).

The intake blew just as I was going into Dallas Mustang for a dyno tune. Even more bad news is that they sent me the 8lb kit instead of the 10lb kit, so now I'm going to have to buy new s/c pulleys...

After a "heated" discussion with the Ford Dealership, the car was towed back to Dallas Mustang where I grudgingly ordered the overpriced Ford Motorsport Intake... (Since there is absolutely no alternative)

They won't even be able to get to it for almost 2 weeks, and to top it all off, we're going to have to figure out how to make the Procharger induction fit the Cobra-like throttle body on the new intake.

Anybody in the market for a brand new 70mm throttle body for a GT?
(used for 4 hours...sigh)
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 01:57 PM   #9
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hammer: Youve got mail.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote