MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Default Help!!!! I'm getting smoked by rice!(kinda long)

Alright, here's the deal. I just got back from the local 1/8th mile track and my car is running 10.20's. This isn't much different from 2 weeks ago considering the heat now here in S. Georgia. Two weeks ago, I ran a best 10.05 out of about 5 runs down the track. I don't know what the deal is as far as me running so slow. My car pulls hard, shifts firm and runs great from what I can tell. The AOD shuffle isn't working. I've never been able to do it unless I get out of the throttle so I don't know what's up as far as that goes but I imagine I could pull up some better times if I could hit second. First to Third is getting real old and real slow. I have 4.10's that I will be installing here real soon so I know that will help but I don't think my car should be this slow. It was about 85 degrees today at the track and my car doesn't spin off the line. The track is very well kept. My mods or lack there of are listed in my sig. so if you could help in anyway, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm about ready to pull my hair out! Civics and an eclipse were consistently running 9.80s down to 9.60's. This is getting embarassing As far as how I drive, I manually shift my auto at about 4800 rpms and I do use the stall converter when I leave the line. Thanks again for your help and if there's anything else you need to know about my car or what not, just let me know.

Thanks James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
90'5.0 Conv

Oh yeah, my 60 ft times average out to about 2.37 or so.

Thanks again, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Well, the 4.10's are a good start they will really help you out. I would also add a 2800 stall converter, that and the 4.10's will really wake your car up. I'd also install a off-road H-pipe. Do you have a 2 1/2" cat-back or do you just have flows on the stock pipes?

As for the AOD shuffle. Shift out a first, wait 3 or 4 seconds then slam that sucker back into first.

Your times aren't that bad considering you are a AOD vert. A friend of mine ran a best of 9.90 in his 89 GT vert 5-speed and he has a cat-back, K&N, and pullies.

BTW, this is just to make you fell bad, my 2.3 runs about the same 60ft as you Sorry, just had to throw that in

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
90'5.0 Conv

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Well, the 4.10's are a good start they will really help you out. I would also add a 2800 stall converter, that and the 4.10's will really wake your car up. I'd also install a off-road H-pipe. Do you have a 2 1/2" cat-back or do you just have flows on the stock pipes?

As for the AOD shuffle. Shift out a first, wait 3 or 4 seconds then slam that sucker back into first.

Your times aren't that bad considering you are a AOD vert. A friend of mine ran a best of 9.90 in his 89 GT vert 5-speed and he has a cat-back, K&N, and pullies.

BTW, this is just to make you fell bad, my 2.3 runs about the same 60ft as you Sorry, just had to throw that in
LOL, Thanks Alot. As far as answering your questions, I have the original 2-1/4 pipes with gutted cats. Also have turn downs right behind the mufflers, no cat-back. The shuffle thing just aint workin, I dunno what to do. I've tried to slam it back in first at a low Rpm and all the way to 5000 so I'm clueless. Maybe my tranny has a problem but it seems to run fine, just can't shuffle.

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 04-19-2002, 10:29 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

what does it do? Go back into first? It should hold second.

The gutted cat's are probably costing you hp because of extra turbulance.

I would do 4.10's, a 2800 stall, a 2 1/2 cat-back, and a off-road H-pipe.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey josh ,you gonna help me fix up my exhuast system?

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

That 60ft has got to go....2.37 60ft and your not spinning?
I got 9.7's in the 1/8mile @3000ft stock.

4.10's should help a whole lot.

I think you have 2.73's stock "I did"

Most bang for the buck

electric fan
underdrive crank pully
gears
off-road Xor Hpipe

I went from a 15.2 @88mph to a 14.7 @94 with an off road Xpipe and underdrive pullies...I think my cats must have been plugged.

Gutted cats does not cost you HP most people knock off a tenth or 2.

Good luck
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:38 PM   #8
rbatson

Man, that sucks!

I highly suggest an off-road pipe and gears. Try staging deep(or shallow, I always get confused), roll the front tires just past the light and then back.. just until the stage light lights up.. this should help the et 'some'.

Have you tried different air pressure in the tires? I assume you are running street radials and most will say it doesn't help but I saw alittle improvement(balloons aren't worth a chit).

You say you are using the stall so I guess you are power braking to the point just before the wheels spin.

Try shifting later that 4800! Try 5500rpm.. maybe 5800
Old 04-20-2002, 06:04 AM   #9
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Post more mods

do you plan on making any mods to your car? i would think that you could do bolt-ons and exhaust at least, 4:10's is a start, but there is no way you should EVER lose to a civic. make some mods, get the 4:10's, the E.T. streets and smoke 'em.
-good luck
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Too slow for a 5.0

90 '50 Conv:

You're running (converted to 1/4 mile et) high 15's which is slow but about right considering your high 60 foot times, the weight of the car and the crappy rear axle ratio. Add to that the shifting hassle you describe as well as the hotter weather and you have all the ingredients for a slow et.

As stated, rear gears are a good modification to help compensate for the lazy AOD, although it probably won't last too long if you keep beating on it. The AOD is a passenger car tranny, not really meant for heavy-duty use.

Until you can do some mods, I suggest doing some 'track prep'. Change the engine oil and the transmission oil jthe day before race day/night. At the track, take the spare and jack out of the trunk, the convertible mechanism is enough weight. Pump up the front tires to 50 pounds before racing (deflate to normal before leaving the track), tune the engine as best you can - play with the timing a bit - and for sure, bring a bunch of ice bags (in a chest) and cool down the intake before racing. On a hot night, the ice alone is worth a tenth, possibly two, guaranteed. You should see mid-15's, at least.

Adding the 4.10's should get you into the high 14's , especially if you add underdrive pullies and a better exhaust . Once there, a higher stall-speed converter is in order, then some serious engine work(aftermarket heads) but with the gears and some relatively minor mods, you should be safely in the 14's and ahead of those pesky Civics.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #11
rbatson

AHHH.. I meant to mention weight. Take out everything you don't need(clean out your car). Every 100 lbs = .1 in et.

A fresh tune up couldn't hurt.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:13 AM   #12
90'5.0 Conv

Well, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to do a tune up and change the gears hopefully this week. I'll also try to get rid of some weight( as hard as that will be to do). I'll take it back out there and let you guys know what happens. Appreciate the help. I thought I might have some problem with the AOD shuffle. Has anyone else not been able to do it at WOT?

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04