MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2002, 02:39 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Talking New 1/4 mile ET from the drag strip!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I just got back from the drag strip about 2-3 hrs ago and I am high as a kite. I've been doing drugs-- if you consider drag racing a drug.

I FINALLY get to go to the track after delays from my car, the weather, other circumstances, etc, etc, and the track is booming with people. Staging lanes full. (I'm trying to condense this story). Anyway, I only got to run one flippin time.
This was the first time I've ever run drag radials at the track. WONDERFUL experience.

Here is my old times and now my NEW times.

Upgrades since last time: rebuilt C4 w/ transgo, Nitto Drag radials, fiberglass hood, electric fan, fluidyne radiator, K&N X-stream filter, resurfaced drag strip.

Old best ET

New best ET (so far)

Since I only got to run ONCE and this was my first time on drag radials, there was room for improvement:
1) I was surprise how hard I was able to come off the line and could've launched a bit harder.
2) I kinda babied the car (not much though) off the line and through 1rst and 2nd, but ran it hard after I regained my senses.
3) Got small header leak (right collector)
4) Car's shifting at about 3-400 rpms too high

Good things:
1) Track was sticky and very responsive.
2) Just about perfect burn out (maybe could have done it about 2 seconds more for better traction, but all in all, really good)
3) Dont' know if this is good or bad, but I ran the Nittos at 28 psi. I think Nitto tires (on the website) suggest starting at 20 lbs, but not going lower than 15. Maybe next time. It was really late and I didn't want to have to pump them back up to 30 for the long trip home.

I was yelling on the way back (on the return road after the 1/4 mile pass) b/c of how happy I was . I have been discouraged in the past by only being able to run a couple 14.1s with 255/60/15s, but they were Eagle street tires. The NIttos made a HUGE difference. That is honestly the quickest I have ever felt my car go (and it felt great). I was surprised. I was petting my dashboard on the way home like you would a puppy and telling it how proud I was of it.

13.4xx (or definitely 13.5) will be my goal for this car's current setup which I think is reasonable. Maybe I can pull a 1.88x to 1.900 60 ft time. What do you think? My speed was 98 mph (only gained 1 mph) and I guess that is just indicative of the torquey 351W as opposed to the 302s which I usually see running faster (100-103) through the traps.

Anyway, even though I had to wait a long time (a tad more than an hr) and only got to run once, it was worth it and I will definitely sleep well tonight.
Later
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote