MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-09-2001, 05:11 PM   #1
caliplaya650
Registered Member

Question The Marines To Join or Not to Join

I have been contiplating joining the marines for a while now. Is any one here a fresh outta boot camp marine? I have some questions i'd like to ask someone who has just completed it.
my YAHOO ID is caliplaya650.
Latez
BBK Underdrive Pulleys
BBK 65mm Throttle Body
BBK Equal Shorties
Phenolic Spacer
166,000 miles and still BuCkIn!
caliplaya650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:53 AM   #2
JM90GT
Registered Member

I was in boot camp 7 years ago but if you still have questions just ask. BTW I am still in.
JM90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:03 PM   #3
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

To answer that in just one word the answer would be no.

But you are more than capable of making your own decisions, so it's up to you. On a positive note, the friends you will make there will last a life time, and you'll get to see some really cool places, and maybe even get to kill someone, who knows. Hell, the only reason to join is for the ability to kill someone with out being punished for it, in fact you may even be honored for it. (read: Osama bin Laden)

There are also negitives, but since those are on a personal level for me, I think I'll leave those out so as not to sway your decision.

My opinion is that no youshould not join, but I can't offer any reasons other than the obvious. It's solely up to you.

Later.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:23 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs down

dont join, before you dog me i have my reason's for saying this i spent 12 years in the military, they will screw you take my word for it, i support all our troop's but the navy was ok , but the army ruined my life, only two people on this board know why and they have kept it to themselves & i thank them , but in my opinion leave the military alone, unless you want to go through v a he-l, pm me & i will inform you of the fact's. oh he-l the fbi is knocking my door down -jk but im serious about the rest.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:50 PM   #5
JM90GT
Registered Member

I am not sure what to think of this. First off you should weight out the opinions that you get on this subject. Remember, it is your decision. I am not staying in after this tour. But I have hardly any complaints.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:13 PM   #6
DRASTiK
Registered Member

JM90GT and I are probably on the same base. I never noticed that before now. Anyways, if you're not sure at all, then just talk to the recruiter but don't sign anything. Then if you have any questions that you didn't want to ask the recruiter, then just post them here and one of us will gladly answer them for ya. I've only been in a little over three years now, and I definately remember boot camp like it was yesterday. I probably always will. I won't ever regret joining the Corps, even though I won't stay in for another tour, I know that I'd be worse off if I didn't join and I've learned a lot from my experiences. If I had the chance to relive my high school years, I'd join the Corps again. Just my opinion.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 01:25 PM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I would not either, but mostly because of my personal temperment. Years of people screwing with my head and my trust have bred me into a headstrong, sometimes even insolent individual that refuses to be bullied and ordered around. And quite frankly, I don't want some flunky sargeant insulting my mother and attempting to break the spirit that took me so long to create. Furthermore, I don't believe that women should be in combat anyways, but enough about me.

This is definetely a decision you should research very carefully. If what I hear is true, the armed services will screw you any way they can, from promised stations to separating you from your friends under the "buddy system", but like I said, that's hearsay. Being in the military seems like one of the most difficult jobs to me, yet notoriously underpaid. Just try to make sure whatever you decide is not something you will regret later down the road.

Good luck.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:24 PM   #8
JM90GT
Registered Member

Not only are we on the same base but I know that mustang. Sounds really good. I am in 21 area, live in Santa Margarita. I thought I saw you in that area one day.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:51 PM   #9
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Well there's actually two mustangs on base that look almost identical. There's mine, and another white one that looks like it except he his hood raises taller than mine and he still has the logos on his car. Mine's just the ram air hood and his is the ram air hood with cowl induction. I've never talked to him and haven't seen him lately either. I think he's also got the saleen wing like mine too. But anyways, I work in the 14 area and live in Wire Mountain I housing by the main gate and I've been down in the Del Mar area a few times, so it's probably mine that you've seen. Shoot me an email if you ever want to get together or turn some wrenches. Just type in boylesdc in the "to:" line in outlook and that's me.

Last edited by DRASTiK; 12-10-2001 at 04:02 PM..
Old 12-10-2001, 03:57 PM   #10
caliplaya650
Registered Member

D&R stang i have ordered my Cd info package and will see what they have.
BigWhiteCobra, Can you pm? Tell me the negatives.

Thanks for your help guys/Girls!
BBK Underdrive Pulleys
BBK 65mm Throttle Body
BBK Equal Shorties
Phenolic Spacer
166,000 miles and still BuCkIn!
caliplaya650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:14 PM   #11
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Hey Cali,
The package that you're gonna get isn't going to give you an accurate overview of the entire "big picture". I also suggest that you talk to numerous people about the negatives and positives because many people experience different things, and almost everyone is going to tell you something different. My best advice is to talk to as many people that have been in the Corps or still are, and then use all of that information to help you decide for yourself. Don't listen to rumors and make sure something's true before you believe it. Before I joined I spoke with many people that have been in the Marines and some said Don't do it, and some said it's the best thing you'll ever do. In the end it's all up to you.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:31 AM   #12
LowDown
Registered Member

Everyone's experiences with military life will differ in one way or another. The type and amount of work you do, as well as how you are treated, the quality of leadership, and the quality of living quarters in your unit will make all the difference in the world. I can't speak for the marines because I'm in the army, but I can tell you that everyone will have different opinions based on personal experiences. If you're already thinking seriosly about joining then I say Go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:51 AM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

Low down hit the nail on the head. I would reconsider the marines for another branch, but only you know what kind of mentality you would be most comfortable around.

I would also suggest getting job training in something you can use in the civilian world. Killing people might be fun, but infantry doesnt pay much in the outside world.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:17 PM   #14
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Good point Mach1. I' ll tell you my experiences were very negative in the Army. I was in 4 yrs and was barely ever home with the wife or child. Thats no fun IMO. As far as the Marines go, my father served for 21 yrs and he enjoyed it so its all a matter of what you prefer. The Army is much larger and has alot of bullcrap go on that isn't always seen. The Marines are a much smaller group and probably don't have quite as much sneaky stuff going on as the Army. Either way, its up to you. Keep in mind, Marines travel alot just like any other branch of service maybe even more. I will tell you this, if you join the service, don't become a wheel or trackMECHANIC !!!!!!!! Trust me. Anyways, good luck with your decision. Were not trying to scare you away as much as were trying to tell you the reality of it all. Make a good decision because its a big one.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 02:23 AM   #15
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
And quite frankly, I don't want some flunky sargeant
*breath ed...count to ten....ok danmiit...count to ten again...*

OK I got the initial "flame the living bejesus" feeling that just overwhelmed me out of my system...(cool, I used bejesus in a sentence today)

ask just about any Marine what they think would be the hardest job in the corps...a majority would say "Drill Instructor"

These men and women put in very long and very hard hours trying to train civillians and transform them into Marines. Not an easy task nowadays (or ever in the past really). Drill instructors are not a "flunky sergeant", they are the most professional Marines while doing thier job. The attrition rate during DI school is very high, not because the Marines trying to become Drill instructors are bad Marines, it is because not every Marine posseses the qualities that make up a DI.

Anyway...

I have been in for 9 years, re-enlisted twice, and plan on re-enlisting again due to current events in our world.
I have enjoyed my time in the Corps. I have met hundreds of great ppl and many I consider very close. I have done things I NEVER would have envisioned myself doing (good and bad) that I wouldn't trade for anything. Yes, the Marines change ppl. Does it change everything about you? No, it enhances qualities in you that you might not know you even had.
A few questions that might aid you in deciding whether to join:

Are you a confidant individual? You better be, or you will fall to
the wayside.

Can you take criticism for what its worth and not take it personally? You get more than you bargained for at first.

Are you mentally strong enough to overcome pain, wearyness, and confusion (just to name a few things)

If you cannot answer one of those thats ok...When I joined I could only answer 2 of them.

You have got to really want it. Whats ironic is if ppl could feel the way I felt the day I graduated and became a Marine, they would be joining in droves. I seriously just got a tingling feeling thinking back to that day...

I could go on forever but i will stop. Talk to your family, friends, other Marines and THEN your recruiter and MAKE YOUR OWN DESISION...do it for yourself and no-one else.

-ed
Old 12-12-2001, 12:15 PM   #16
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Well put Ed. well put.
Semper Fi,
Dave