MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-30-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
Janeofalltrades

Default Mustang-Auto Alliance Mazda..Huh?

This is from an older Blue Oval News publication....But, what is going on?

"Sources close to Ford Motor Company's assembly plant realignment team have told BlueOvalNews that Ford will transfer all Ranger production to the Dearborn Assembly Plant in 2003. The Dearborn Assembly Plant currently produces the Mustang; however, its production will transfer to the Auto Alliance Mazda-Flat Rock Plant in 2003."

Geez..No wonder production is all messed up with these guys. Why, oh, why are they making the Stang at the Mazda plant...Next we will all be singing the "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom" song and driving a Protoge`....(shakes head in shame)..By the way, I also read that they are reducing their engine line up and coming up with a 3.9L V-8.

http://www.bonforums.com/powertrain/...formustang.htm

What next? Shame on the EPA/CAFE requirements. Do you think we can get Bush to go to bat for us if we all pitch in and buy him a Stang. Him and Chenney. Then we could keep our engines and our sway bars. Geez, the things they consider eliminating in the car to meet these requirements. Take my A/C please!

Thank you powers that be for your fuel economy. What if I want an opportunity to drive a 5.0L V-8 10 miles to work daily? Sad.

Jennifer
aka Jane of all Trades
Old 11-30-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
srv1
Get down.....

ahhhh..... thank-god-for-the-pushrod!

that stinks though. mod parts are expensive as is. been a littlle over 11 years since they been around. aftermarket has been doing great, now Ford want to go to a different platform? that is good if it outperforms the 4.6, bad for 4.6 owners since the aftermarket will be still pricey, i assume.

if it is true and i had the money, i would buy a bunch of Cobra motors and hold on to them. they will be worth more than they are now which is pretty expensive.

Hammer, say bye bye to the cammer!
Old 11-30-2002, 11:33 PM   #3
Janeofalltrades

Default Not necessarily!

Hey Srv1,

For now Hammer can get a crate motor and stow it away for safe keeping. Like a nuclear winter. Buy them now boys (and girls)while you still can. Christmas is just around the corner!

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=13573

ROFL....

Wish..Jenn
Old 12-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #4
PKRWUD

I'll read the article later, but the 3,9 that I am aware of is also a mod engine, and is an excellent performer.

Also, anything you read at B.O.N. is usually half true, at best.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hmmm,
I don't see the 4.6 going away any time soon, and from the sources that I have.. (yes, I have "sources") They're all telling me that the 5.0 modular is well on its way both as a crate engine and in production vehicles (most likely Cobras) in the "not too far off" future.

I've heard rumblings of the return of the different "level" Mustangs that you could once get... LX's, standard GT's, maybe a Boss version?, and of course the Cobra.

All signs point to greater HP numbers for the stang, not less, although a supercharged 3.9 liter may not be out of the question.... If it puts out the HP and TQ numbers that we crave, is anyone really going to care that the GT is a 3.9 liter?

and if it REALLY does matter to you, that 5.0 cammer would look pretty nice in a GT... Why should Cobras get all the fun?

Either way, I'll be holding onto my 4.6 for some time to come, especially if the SHM stroker kits come down in price...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:18 AM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Lightbulb Hammer time

well the Cammer isnt an affordable engine. also i dont think the Cammer will pass CA emissions, will it? If you think the Cobra is expensive now, when they put the 5.0 in, it will be really expensive. i am not saying the 4.6 is going bye bye next year, but maybe after that unless they redesign the 4.6 to be more effecient.

you will care if they do put the 3.9. that is if you keep your 4.6. if they go with the new design, then these aftermarket companies have to go back to the drawing boards for the new motor. it seems they(aftermarket) just got settled in with the 4.6 motor. so it will be the the pushrod 5.0, the 4.6, and they new 3.9. at least the pushrod has been around many years to perfect and tool with as with the 4.6 only been around 11 years. to be really honest, thier isnt much aftermarket for the 4.6 compared to the 5.0 and that is what made aftermarket companies successfull. i dont believe if they go with the new platform that people who do make the 4.6 aftermarket parts are going to stop, but they will face a new challenge, the 3.9.

hey i maybe wrong, who know?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:58 AM   #7
PKRWUD

Okay, I read the article. God, I hate that website.

The article, which was 2 years old, BTW, is way off base in it's implications. The 3.9 IS a modular engine. It is to the 4.6 what the 302 is to the 351. SAME technology, similar designs for the aftermarket.

Mod engine popularity is growing faster than AIDS in Africa, and the parts manufacturers are paying attention. I am with SEMA, and every month their news magazine has more articles on the mod engines, and how that is where the money is. The Ford pushrod engine is dead. It only lives on in memory and relics. The mod engines are what are in production, and in the plans that are on the drawing boards. It's not going anywhere any time soon. In fact, Ford has gone to great lengths to change the engine designs at all of it's other companies to fall in line with the modular engine. Before long, you will be able to swap a head from your Jaguar with your Mazda truck, and parts from a Contour will work in a Cobra. This is the plan that has been in effect for 15 years. It's taking a while to get going, but hell, it took over 30 years before fuel injection went from being an option to being mandatory.

In two years, the mod engine will be the norm, and the pushrod engine will be old school. In 5 years, pushrod engine owners will have to have their own websites and forums because the mod guys are going to get sick and tired of the occasional pushrod question being asked among the hundreds of mod questions. Kinda like the way it was a year and a half ago in the Windsor forum when someone would ask a mod question.

I hate that website (BON). If they are going to get stoned before they write their stories, they should at least have a disclaimer. I don't think I've ever read an accurate story from them.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-01-2002, 03:01 AM   #8
PKRWUD

As far as the new 5.0 is concerned, if it has decent cats, it will pass calif. emissions. Hell, John Force could pass Cal. emissions if he had a decent set of cats.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
Janeofalltrades

Default Well I feel MUCh Better

Thanks Gentlemen!

Nice discussion. I did know the article was 2 years old, but thought it was a good article to bring up for just this point. My understanding the median "new" engine design cycle time from engineering to production is about a 6 to 8 years, so two year old info would be mid engineering plan. Most are apt to not abandon a current engineering plan to meet federal emisions requirements unless it is a catastrophic design/safety failure.

Yes! I agree, Blue Oaval guys are smokin' some fine color. Came across some articles the other day that just left me thinking, 'who the hell writes this smack?' Independent, my hind quarters.....

I love you guys with all your talk. Makes my day...This is where the real news occurs.. The MustangWorks NO SPIN ZONE. I just wanted to make sure that in a few years we are not going to end out with a fargin' Mazda Rotorty engine in our beloved Stang like the Mazda RX-8. Thanks again!

Chris,

You always school me so well! Go big daddy.

Jenn
Old 12-01-2002, 08:36 PM   #10
srv1
Get down.....

well i didnt know was two years old nor did i bother to read. my bad. i was in a hurry reading it anyways. thanks Chris!

Hammer, it seems that you still have the cammer!

the 5.0 crate engine, does it come with its own computer or does it use the Cobra computer? i mean to pass CA emissions, i would assume you would need a computer tailored for that motor.

But i still believe the new 5.0 is very costly for mass production. if it does make its way into one of the lineups, be prepared to pay some extra ching$$

Hammer, i know the 4.6 isnt going to go away anytime soon. Also i didnt know when i wrote the reply that the 3.9 is off the 4.6 platform as Chris said. so that changes everything from what i initially said. again, my bad.

i wouldnt buy a mod motor unless i got it cheap. dont get me wrong i love the 4.6's. best thing Ford did in a long time. Made it smaller, lighter(i think), powerful, and efficient. how could you go wrong with that? but what i said before, the aftermarket is just strating to grow and parts for it is expensive. give it time and the will fall. right now, the best bang for the buck is the pushrod.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:23 PM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i will hang on to my 4.6 as long as i can, i just hate the chip mod's you have to do, but it's a powerful little bi--h, lol i love my 4.6.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote