MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
SexyAsthmatic
Registered Member

Default Looks like im getting one

I may be selling the Jeep for a Mustang. I can't take the 4 hour drive back and forth from school in the Jeep any more. It costs me almost a $100 in gas alone for 1 weekend and the decible level inside the thing rivals that of a jumbo jet. I've wanted a Mustang for a while so its not all that bad. Hopefully I will be in one by Val. day.

What are the pros/cons of a convertable? Are they really loud at highways speeds? Do they have a tendancy to leak? Do they do anything to the performance of the Mustang? Thanks, just trying to figure out what I am going to ge
Old 02-03-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

hey!

Welcome to the world of Mustangs! I loved my 98 Cherokee and miss it, but the Mustang is so much fun as well.

I say go convertible. I drive mine daily, and the road noise isn't too bad. of course itll be more than a regular car. But heck, it's far better than a jeep! But, why not take it out for a test spin yourself. you should be able to gague. Take 2 cars out, but take the regular one out first, THEN the convertible. Make sure BOTH are equipt the same. Only way to be fair. Then, take your jeep out on the same route. Make sure you get some good highway speeds in there (scare that salesman! LOL). you should have a good idea how much sound difference there is.

are you going new or used? I have a 96 Cobra and love it. I'm not sure the noise difference between the older and newer ones. good luck!
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:09 AM   #3
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

hey allright another Bama guy,!

ok to your question what year are you goin for? late 80's fox body or newer 94-98 style? or 99-03 style? pro's an cons with each, the 80's foxes are faster off the bat, light, nimble an looove bolt on goodies, perfect 1/4 terror. the lx 5.0 comin in first an the gt comin in next jus from the added weight of the ground effects. hatch is common if you can find a notch-back your in rare form with a rare car. engines pretty much the same from 86-93 with subtle cahnges from carb to efi on the late 80's early 90's model, better flowin heads, revised intake on 90's models.. very nice if you can find one stock, one that has been properly modded or that hasn't been smashed into a wall.(long story)

94-98 the change. (body, engine in 96,trans) redesigned the intake to fit under the lower hood, less headroom but engine still the same from the 93 GT powerwise. a lil sluggish due to the ECCIV cmputer, but not too shabby. its a nice daily driver. most are still relatively new abuse wise, an are in the 5k range.. 96 is when the engine swap happened 4.6 for both the GT an cobra the cobra bein a DOHC. the GT is not too impressive stock,(lacks the low end torque, but has better flowin heads than the 94 5.0, the DOHC cobras love forced induction..
the 99-03 are new, the aftermarket is a lil smaller than the 5.0 but the hp/tq out the box is very impressive.a chip, exhaust, etc. an your close to knockin on 300's door.

convertibles are strange, to make them really fast you have to lose alot of weight, those actuators in the roof particularly. , but stock for stock a 98 convertible cobra will get passsed by a cobra coupe, jus due to that added weight of the convertible. butif i wanted a convertible was after speed also, i'd look for a convertible 80's 5.0. guy i know has a beautiful turquois 80's 5.0 drop-top an puts about 360 to the wheels..not too bad.

but the most important thing to remember its get what you want.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote