MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-08-2003, 03:44 AM   #1
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Winternationals Update !!!

Just got back from Winternationals ! Fantastic day of racing !
Weather was great, crowd was light, racing was fantastic ! The air was heavy with Nitro and burned Goodyears. God ... the smell of nitro in the evening ... only one thing in the world better!!
I gotta give you guys that have never seen a Top Fuel Dragster up close and personal a little background ... Basically a hand full of chromeMolly tubing with 6,500 horsepower worth of nitro methane burning hemi sitting on it. Zero to 100 MPH in .8 seconds ... thats Point eight ...that wasn't a mistype !! The pressure on the driver 5 G's ... at times the tires will break loose from the pavement and shake so violently that I know one driver who injured his brain stem from it ... in 1320 feet zero to well over 300 MPH and in about 4.5 seconds !! From a spectators point of view, it takes your breath away, and i mean that literally. The concushion of those 8 cylinders firing shake dust from asphalt and shake your chest and insides like standing next to artillary .. its something that has to be experienced .. no way to describe it .. nowhere near the same watching it on tv ... most people the first time will just stand there kinda staring into space for about 30 seconds with their jaw hanging open ... trying to process what they just felt and heard and saw !!! Its just freekin unbelievable !!!
Qualifying
Top Fuel
Clay Millican comes from out of nowhere to set the pace for Top Fuel with a 4.52 et at 326 MPH (and this was a bi run and his rail was shedding parts all the way down the track too!)
AA/F Funny Car
Tim Wilkerson still holds top spot from a run yesterday of 4.75 et 318 MPH but Gary Densham made a run at it today with a 4.77 et at 323 MPH
Pro Stock
Jeg Coughlin holds top spot with a 4.79 et but Kurt Johnson set the top speed with a 203 MPH run !! Both Coughlin's et and Johnson's speed are new Pomona Raceway records for Pro Stock !!
I'll post some pix soon
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
chuck88
Registered Member

I have expeirenced it and I love it!!! Cant wait until May when I take off from work and go to the time trials here in beautiful NJ. I have been going for years.
Words can not describe the feeling you must expeirence it!

chuck 88
(NHRA Member)

Wife, 2 kids, busy job, "fixer upper" house, and I still have time for the Mustang!!!

I Love my kids!!!
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote