MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Default Help!

*Reposted from Windsor board, figured it might be more appropriate here*

Background: I'm a 22 year-old college student from Queens, New York. I've always been turned on by cars, speed and mechanical engineering, I've just never got myself involved.

The Car: 1989 Mustang LX 2.3L 4-Cylinder Notchback, AT

The Problem: 1/4 mile in roughly 46 seconds

The Story: Well my '84 Regal kicked the bucket with a busted tranny, I picked it up for 800 about 5 years ago, it lasted long enough that's for sure. Point A to point B car. So I was in the market for a new car and I've always had a soft spot for the pony car. Wouldn't you know it? The day my Buick decided it was better to self terminate then have me drive it anymore a guy puts a blk on blk 1989 Mustang LX 2.3L 4-Cylinder Notchback, AT in EXCELLENT condition on my block with a for sale sign, $650!

Everyone I spoke to says I got this car for a steal, 105k miles on it and the tranny was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. The guy just wanted to get rid of it, was his girlfriend's car and she just bought a semi-new Grand Am. Anyways, I fell in love. This car was just what I needed to light the fire under my *** and give a damn about speed. Granted it's slow as **** but I find myself excited about owning a Mustang, sorta like that feeling you got when you were a kid on Christmas Eve.

Obsession. I spent an entire day washing and waxing this thing a week after I bought it (of course it rained the next 7 days after, including today). I'm looking to get started fine tuning this thing and I want to do a conversion to a 5.0 w/ 5-speed tranny. Or something better? I know nothing.

My questions: Should I do a conversion? Or save up and sell this thing and just buy an LX w/ a 5.0 already inside? Is there anything I should do now to it besides the usual maintance? I know squat and **** about cars atm but I am very technically inclined, where do I get started?

My goals are to street race. I'm not a **** talker, I'm competitive, but friendly competitive. I'm not going to be starting any fists fights over anything.

I have a Ford upbringing so I am definately impartial to keeping the block windsorish, but wouldn't be opposed to a cross-bread if it saved me big bucks somehow (don't shoot me). Thanks for taking the time out to read this!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

It is possible but if your gonna keep it EFI it might be fairly hard with all the wiring and computer stuff. If you dont have to pass smog you could go carb.

You would need a new wiring harness, computer, engine, and transmission. Also you would need an 8.8 rear end because I believe the 4 banger rear ends are weaker. The suspension should be changed a bit (springs) because the 4 banger suspension wasnt made for a V8.

If you dont want a project car it might be better just to buy a car that already has a 5.0 in it.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

You could always throw a turbo on the 2.3 and have a SVO immitator for relatively cheap.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
MustangNewb
Registered Member

I've already made the decision to ditch the EFI... I think I can use it to make a unique, elaborate, hooka. As for emisions, there are always ways to get inspections .

Oh and I am actually looking for a project car, so this is like perfect. Granted it is also my primary car, I think (I hope) I can keep it on the road most of the time.

In the end I want a street racer built for the 1/4 mile and still be able to use it for day to day street driving.

My original question stands however... Wher do I start? I'm at a loss trying to figure this one out
Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Oh and how difficult is it going to be to convert the tranny to a manual?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

How much are you willing to spend? Do you know anyone that is into mustangs? You could leave the springs like they are unless your adding a 351. You could pick up a good used 5.0 and go will all used parts ( a friend of mine could get you anything you need). A t-5 conversion runs about $1k here, complete(if you know who to go to). If you were gonna keep it mild you could get a manual out of a 4 cyl and change the input shaft(shh... secret). Keeping it mild, the rearend may be ok. It depends of how 'bad' you wanna be...
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Short term I don't want to be that 'bad'. I want to get some semi-respectable power out of this thing and get an education. Long term I wanna own all the rice burners. If I did the 5.0 conversion and the tranny conversion like you said wouldn't it be 1 of 2 major conversions I'd have to make during the life of this car? I'm starting to think I should sell this for more then I got it for and pick up a 5.0 LX or a GT. The more I'm looking into it and talking to people the more I'm realising I'm biting off way more then I can chew, it'll probably be better for me to buy something that has stock 5.0 power and tinkering with it to get started.

Actually all my friends are GM boys and they have been teasing the **** out of me owning a 4-cylinder stang. Good friend of mine is getting in my face and going, "You bought a sports car... WITH FOUR CYLINDERS?!" Kinda funny the lack of respect for the Fox body stangs there is out there in the GM crew Then again this guy is the only trailer park trash to live in NYC and have his property reflect that (Guys project cars include '83 Firebird, '78 Malibu, '77 Malibu and an '87 Vette, most of them up on cinder blocks and his house has no siding and no lawn, just dirt, in the middle of Queens, NY). They refuse to even get in the car for a ride lol...

Anyways, I think I'm probably going to sell this thing and get a 5.0 LX or a GT unless anyone has any good reason why I shouldn't?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:56 AM   #8
RBatson
Registered Member

How much do you wanna spend??
Old 05-28-2003, 10:56 AM   #9
MustangNewb
Registered Member

What's the best way of going about selling this thing and buying a GT or 5.0 LX anyways? eBay to sell? I'd like to not go over $2000 to buy if that's possible to get a decent working 5.0. I want to put most of the work into it to get it to be a great car.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #10
RBatson
Registered Member

Is it a coupe??
Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #11
MustangNewb
Registered Member

It's an '89 Mustang LX 4-Cylinder Coupe, body is in good condition, dent in the fender that can be pulled out and a few rust spots along the bottom. Everything in it is stock and the tranny was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. Automatic tran, interior is prestine with mild fading on the back seat material. All black exterior, red and black interior. Power windows and door locks. The passenger side exterior door handle is missing and the gas gauge doesn't work. Bought it for $650.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:18 AM   #12
RBatson
Registered Member

You could sell the tranny out of it??

The body is good?? Coupes are the car of choice and hard to come by.. you sure you want to part with it??(got pictures?)
Old 05-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #13
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Erm, Sedan, notchback body is in good condition.

How much would a 4 speed automaitc tranny rebuilt out of a Mustang LX be worth? Think I could get more money in parts?

I also have the '84 Regal that I can sell, friend put in a tranny he had that was sitting around doing nothing so I could sell it. It's a 4-door sedan with a v6 and 131000 miles... wonder if I could get 500 for it. I think putting the tranny in was a waste of time on his part, but I appreciated the favor heh...

Last edited by MustangNewb; 05-28-2003 at 11:30 AM..
MustangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #14
RBatson
Registered Member

A four door regal... I like regals but not the 4 door variety... if it runs, what the hell.. sure. There was a guy at work that would buy cheap cars and drive them until they quit and leave them where they sit.. I'm sure you could get something out of it.

As far as the 4 cyl. tranny.. all I'm saying is that I'm sure there is someone that needs one. I'd sell anything I didn't need to recoupe the money I was about to put in... first thing is finding someone to do the job. I've wanted a coupe for quite some time now, you could definitely shut some people up if you had a coupe 5.0.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:33 PM   #15
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Think I could get 1200 for her? (the stang)