MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
nicolette
Registered Member

Cool Please help me help my dad

Hey all!
My dads '83 grand marquis needs two new ball joints. A tie rod end, and an idler arm. I am still pretty new to the car stuff, and he knows way more than me, but i still want to make sure he's not getting ripped off. He went to sears and they said 5-600 bux for the job. It sounded it bit much to me. But as i said i don't know much about that! lol! So i was hoping someone here could help.
Thanks guys!!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
CADreamin
Registered Member

I know the Ford dealer around here charged me $215 to replace one tie rod end. That's for parts and labor. Yes it seemed a little high at the time but I was going out of town with the car the next day.

So...$500 to $600 doesn't sound like a complete rip-off, but may be somewhat high. I've never had the best of experiences with Sears. You could probably have it done cheaper by an equally competent mechanic somewhere else.

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
CADreamin
Registered Member

Now that I think about it, that $215 also included the $70 diagnostic fee just for looking at the car and determining the problem. So the actual parts and labor on the tie rod end job was about $145.

Plus, this was for Ford parts and a Ford tech working on the car...if that's something you care about.

Just something to factor in to your evaluation.

98 Mustang GT Coupe
Old 05-27-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Now that you know exactly what he needs, call a couple of independent shops and ask them to work up a price using your list of parts.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
nicolette
Registered Member

Default hey

thanks guys!
i tried calling a couple of local shops and they all seemed around 500$, my dad is stubborn though and went with sears anyway (what would i know about cars?! grumble grumble! lol!), their final total was 645$ still seems fishy to me, so i won't be going there for my 'stang thats for sure! thankyou very much though cadreamin and maroon!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Most of the big chain shops are usually higher than independent shops. They are professionals at "add-on" stuff.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
CADreamin
Registered Member

Aligning the car would be a good example of such an add-on...with your type of work, an alignment needs to be done afterward but it is typically a part of, rather than in additon to, the job. If you look at your Dad's receipt you'll likely find a separate charge for checking and setting the alignment, that they didn't include in the estimate beforehand.

98 Mustang GT Coupe
Old 05-28-2003, 02:44 AM   #8
nicolette
Registered Member

Default oh yeah!

they sure 'add on!'
the origianl estimate was for 500 odd, and he ended up paying the 645
they took a couple of hours longer then they said to do it too. but luckily thanks to some indignant ranting, didn't charge for that. ahhh bandits!!! they did other fishy stuff too, like put on the worksheet to check the suspension, it was only just redone 6 months ago!!. sure makes ya wonder!! (and makes me want to learn how to fix as much as possible myself! haha!!)
Old 05-30-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

nicholette, i dont know how old you are, but the local community college should a have a complete course in automotive technology, check it out. they should have night courses as well. also remember that any of use here will answer any questions you have, and you can always email me with any questions.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
nicolette
Registered Member

Cool

Hey rbohm thanks!
You know, i hadn't even thought about community college for automotive. Thats a really awesome idea!! I'm 21 so that should be an ok age to go, right?! and i'll definately keep you in mind for further quessies, seeings you have an '83 marquis too!
This place rocks!!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
BilLster
Registered Member

locally in Calgary one of the tv stations just did a repair shop sting and sears was the worst ,

it was amazing all the shops got caught overcharging

they filmed and documented all of it.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:26 PM   #12
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

gee idont know nicholette, 21 thats getting up there , oh wait no its not i'm 44 . go have a ball. i plan on one day going back to school myself and will likely start at the local community college.

fordsix.com admin
Old 05-30-2003, 10:36 PM   #13
nicolette
Registered Member

Oh wow BilLster!!!! that's scary!!

I've actually had trouble myself in the past, it's so sad it happens. An electircal company i had check out my horn and gauges, charged me $400 and insisted upon keeping my car overnight. They said it would be kept in an enclosed yard, and when i went to pick it up the next day it was still parked in the street. All they fixed was my fuel gauge too. (and now it doesn't work properly again anyways!!!)
They told me to fix my horn i would need to replace the entire steering system. I said no-way!! and took my baby home. The next day i finally discovered the problem myself, the horn was grounded!! that was it!!!! i moved it slightly, and it worked!!. I think they suck!! I'm paranoid that it's because they see a girl coming, they think they can do anything. It's dementedly comforting to know i'm not the only one having this problem.

Anyway it all leads to this, I am trying to do as much as i can myself! HUGE thanks to rbohm!! i'm definately going to have a ball!!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:58 AM   #14
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

nicholette, you should get "the ford falcon six cylinder performance handbook" by david and dennis schjeldahl.
you can order it direct from them at falconperformance.sundog.net
you might also be able to find it in the local large book seller. it has some good info. also you might register over at fordsix.com in the forums. also check out the tech section as well. alot of good info over there about the ford six. also you can get some performance parts from fordsixparts.com so you dont have to go to clifford any more. also start buying automotive books like how to rebuild your small block ford, and the electrical systems hand book just to name two. the more you read the more you will learn. remember if you have any questions just ask, just remember to becareful what you ask for, you may just get it.

fordsix.com admin
Old 05-31-2003, 02:44 AM   #15
nicolette
Registered Member

rbohm, thanks for the tips!
I have been buying as many books as i can afford, but i hadn't heard of that one, or the fordsix.com site either.
Thankyou so much for all your help!!