MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
MichStangFan
Registered Member

Default What do you guys use to clean your car?

Just wondering what you use to clean the inside, outside, and tires of your car. Is there really any difference between the expensive brands and the no-name ones?
MichStangFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Tell ya what. I started using that Eagle One car wash liquid. Has like a wax built into it. It works great. Got it at advance. Its not expensive at all.

Don't use dishwashing liquid. It strips off your wax. Less ofcourse your going to wax your car, then it works great!

I use soapy rag for the inside. Im not much on the shinny armour all look on the dash and stuff. Heck, I bought this cheap stuff at the Dollar General store for the interior. Its not shinny and costs a buck. Smells like new car , and doubles as colonge

Tires. Black Magic? It lasts longer than armour all and even once it washes off. The tires are still black, just not shinny. Its almost as much as armour all.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Talking

I use a small amount of car wash soap with wax in it.. I'm sorry I forget the name but its not a big brand or anything.

I use plain old 409 for the inside, dash etc.. heh.. and maybe armour all if I feel like making it shiny.

I use a soapy rag for the rims, and Armour All No Touch for the tires.
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
Tires. Black Magic? It lasts longer than armour all and even once it washes off. The tires are still black, just not shinny. Its almost as much as armour all.
That sounds cool.. I'll have to look for that.
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Pokey 5.0
Prince the Porcelain Pimp

on both cars we only use Meguiar's products with the exception for the wheels, they get Mothers wheel polish.

Tony
NMRA P/S #5131

CMP Racing
Flaming River
Pakman Motorsports
Belden Inc.
UPR Products
All Show Polishing (Rob 708-997-0226)
Strange Engineering
Pokey 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
VeNuM
Registered Member

I use Meguiars on the whole car (wash, cleaner, polish, wax) and stand behind their products. Nevrdull on the rims and whatever Tire Black substance I got. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Here goes:

Wash: Meguiers Gold Class shampoo
Clay: Pinnacle clay bar
Cleaner: 3M swirl mark remover
Polish: 3M hand glaze
Wax: S100 carnuba
Dash: 303 protectant
Carpet: Eimann Fabrik carpet cleaner.
Wheels: Eagle One A2Z cleaner
Tires: Zaino
Quick Detailer: Pinnacle crystal mist

Of course, nothing but Microfiber touches my baby.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 AM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I use all the mothers products: Soap, convertible top cleaner, wax, rim polish.

Right now I'm using Simonz tire care stuff, but I'm going to switch to Eagle stuff when I'm done.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 AM   #9
Mass Stang
Registered Member

I have had great luck with "Mothers Three Phase System" And a new armoural like product from Mothers called "Preserves" for the dash and tires. Preserves also smells good too. And the ONLY thing that seem to make my billit wheels look chrome is "Billit" from Mothers.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mass Stang
I have had great luck with "Mothers Three Phase System" And a new armoural like product from Mothers called "Preserves" for the dash and tires. Preserves also smells good too. And the ONLY thing that seem to make my billit wheels look chrome is "Billit" from Mothers.
Have you ever smelled the Mother soap! It smells awesome! Like bubble gum or something

Old 05-28-2003, 07:03 AM   #11
Mass Stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
Have you ever smelled the Mother soap! It smells awesome! Like bubble gum or something
Yeah it does.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:29 AM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I use Liquid Glass products...

- Liquid Glass Wash Concentrate for 'soap'
- Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner (I don't use this on the Mustang anymore since it rarely sees the road).
- Liquid Glass 'wax' - it isn't really even a wax.

I don't put anything on my dash or wheels like Armour All or equivalent. I'm just not a fan of the super shiny look. I just use a clean damp towel to dust off the dash and an old bursh on the tires.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #13
RBatson
Registered Member

Rainwater...

Since the transmission fluid bath and the mailbox incedent, the paint sucks.. the valve covers leaking a bit and smoke rolling out from under the hood, at stoplights... its pretty fun to make prey the unsuspecting (was, will be again soon)
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
yelowjaket
Registered Member

Thumbs up Car washing material

Here's what i use:

Car wash: Armor All Car wash soap (was using Turtle wax "Zip" car wash but it's not as good

Wax: Turtle wax "Super hard shell car wax" stuff works great

Glass: Windex with ammonia-D, DO NOT use that stuff on your glass on a hot day in the direct sunlight, streaks-r-us

Wheel cleaner: I use the Armor All car wash soap for the wheels too. I think the small amount of wax that's in the soap cleans them real nice and also makes them shine real good.

I use to use all of Eagle One's products but I did an experiment and found that using slightly cheaper things like Armor All car wash, Turtle wax super hard shell, Windex, and just using the car soap for the wheels. My car still looks just as good. Keep in mind i didn't say "No-name" brands, just things that i found slightly cheaper to save a few bucks.
-BBK equal length shorty headers
-K&N
-BBK 65mm Throttle Body
-Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake
-3.73 gears
yelowjaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 AM   #15
RBatson
Registered Member

Back when I was in college I used this stuff called "Astro-Shield" that was some good ****. You can't go wrong with Meguiers though
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I used to use Turtle wax and it protected the car well, but it is not nearly as shinny as some of the better waxes.

Armor All wash and turtle wax car wash both do an OK job, but about 1/2 as good as Mothers.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:47 PM   #17
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by RBatson
Rainwater...

Since the transmission fluid bath and the mailbox incedent, the paint sucks.. the valve covers leaking a bit and smoke rolling out from under the hood, at stoplights... its pretty fun to make prey the unsuspecting (was, will be again soon)
Ha ha ha.

I've always been kinda lazy in this department, but I've gotten a lot better at it since I got the '92GT. I usually go to the self serve car wash, take my time and spend about 3-4 dollars. I just got finished it and applied this clearcoat protectant and I've NEVER seen the car's paint look soooo deep, glassy, and clean. I can't spend over 20 minutes messing with cleaning a car. I'll try to wax it some time this month.

If I do any at home cleaning, I usually use Eagle 1 and Armour All products.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:44 AM   #18
my9250GT

Default Re: Car washing material

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yelowjaket
[B]Here's what i use:

Glass: Windex with ammonia-D, DO NOT use that stuff on your glass on a hot day in the direct sunlight, streaks-r-us

Wheel cleaner: I use the Armor All car wash soap for the wheels too. I think the small amount of wax that's in the soap cleans them real nice and also makes them shine real good.

I found that using windex on my chrome ponies gives them a mirror shine....BUT MAKE SURE THE WHEELS ARE COOL!!! DO NOT APPLY AFTER DRIVING AROUND ALL DAY!

and i use mothers for everything else along with two coats of liquid "aircraft" glaze makes it shine and the water just beads right off and its smooth to the touch..i have owned the car for 7 years and it still looks like the day i bought it the paint has not faded at all..did i mention its a 92 stang. not bad for 11 year old paint
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

Last edited by my9250GT; 06-03-2003 at 03:17 AM..
my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #19
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

For the stang, I ust excessive amounts of Turtle Wax car wash. For the truck, I use the same car wash just to get the big stuff off, then I go over it with a buffer and some Meguiers Cleaning Wax, let that sit for a minute and wipe it with a towel. On the chrome and the rims, I use Eagle One Never Dull, this is the best stuff I have ever used on chrome. For the tires, I just wash them off with the same sponge and soap I wash the car with. I see no point in scrubbing tires and making them shine. As soon as you pull out of the driveway, any dirt just sticks to the greasy looking crap, and all that effort is wasted. Tires are meant to drive on and make contact with the dirty road, why put the energy into cleaning them?
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:44 PM   #20
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I already posted what products I use for my car. Here's the end result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustangpics 012 resized.jpg (145.2 KB, 23 views)

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote