MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
CougarRage
Registered Member

Default Farily new....

or not to the message board. Many of you don't know me as I did not post as much as my friend Polara did on here. Anyways, I have a new found interst in mustangs and have just recently purchased a 91 Mustang GT.

I love the car, it's in good condition, it seemed fairly mechanicly sound, had a manifold leak and a valve cover leak. Before I get to far in this description, let me forwarn you, I don't know much about cars.

Well, I've only had the car for 6 days, and last night on the way home from out of town (about a 40 min drive, I come up to a stop and realize my oil pressure hits bottom... I'm like ok, might just be it's the first time I've actually taken it on a road trip, might be a one time deal. I start going again, it regains pressure and goes back to normal, cool deal... I thought. Anyway, I get back to town (no more stops b/t here and there) and get close to my destination when I come up to a red light, boom... geuss what happens when I come to a stop? Anyway, to make a long story short, now, from about 5 mins after cranking my car and driving some, if my car drops below 1k RPM, the oil pressure bottoms.

My question to all of you, any ideas/suggestions? We are thinking it's the oil pump, but before going to far, I would like to get all possibilities and see what I might be dealing with.

Thanks in advance.

*edit* Yes my name says CougarRage, that's because I was driving a 88 Cougar XR7, with the lovely 5.0, the same one used in Mustangs of that year.

Last edited by CougarRage; 06-28-2003 at 05:41 PM..
CougarRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
RBatson
Registered Member

It's very possible that the previous owner used a light weight motor oil to increase hp alittle. I let someone talk me into a light weight oil change, years and years ago, and I changed it back the next day. It did the same thing you are experiencing, it made me uncomfortable.. You may want to call the previous owner and ask him what oil he used in the car.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
LX5liter
dude5l

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical guage before you do anything else, then post the results in the Windsor tech section. Don't jump to any conclusions yet, it may be something simple like a sending unit.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
CougarRage
Registered Member

We actually started thinking about that. The car you can let run at idle and it doesn't sound like it's getting any shortage of oil. Me and a friend have tomorrow off, we're going to hook a gauge up to it and see if it reads differently. Hoping it does, and that it is something as simple as the sending unit.

I'll let you know how it go and post in the other forum. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:00 AM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Yeah, at 170,000 miles my oil pressure was near nothing so I went heavier and it brought it way up. worked like a charm. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

Have you changed the oil yet?? Does the car have synthetic oil in it?? Does it have 5w30?? Nevermind..
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
CougarRage
Registered Member

Just a small update, sorry been busy. Went ahead and changed the oil to a slighlty heavier oil, seems to have fixed the issue for the most part... still seems to do it if I drive it consecutively (about 2 hours or more). Also noticed one of my valve cover gaskets leaking, don't know if that would affect it or not, but we'll find out after friday .

Thanks.