MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2001, 09:28 PM   #21
86LX5liter
Registered Member

negative. no laughing gas on the civic. well, I should say they never show him hitting it, and there is no surge of acceleration or RPM as there typically is with N2O

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'
best with old car, will let you know once i finish the transfer to the new to me car

click here to see my car!

86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:49 AM   #22
inferno
The Instigator

86LX5liter, first off, both Ty'97Cobra and LincoConti87 made statements basically saying that there is no way a Civic could keep up with a Porsche and my statement was geared towards them, and any other person who has this idea. Second, I have seen the movie, I have no arguements about the Civic and the reason why it shouldn't have been able to keep up without some major work(we don't really know what was done to the Civic now do we?). If the Porsche was a Carrera 4, then it wasn't turbo, and it runs 0-60 in 5 seconds. This is still faster than most NA Civics, but not all. Third, if you read my post regarding the H22, you will notice that I said that the most I think is possible is maybe 350 on race gas with no street drivability.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 09:46 AM   #23
86LX5liter
Registered Member

Whatever the all wheel drive turbo is, i thought that was called the carrera 4. My mistake. We don't know what was done to the civic, correct. But we do know there was no power adder, and we do know that with the manner it was performing, it was being overrated severely.

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'
best with old car, will let you know once i finish the transfer to the new to me car

Old 02-26-2001, 11:04 AM   #24
Tony Frank
Registered Member

My opinion is that they wanted to have a car that looked faster than it actually was race this porche. its only in the movies....they could have used a Mustang with a jungle gym wing on the back but they used a civic. power adders or not it dosent matter. if i put that much money into a civic and that same amount into a porche, which do you think would win??????? porche exactally. this dosent make a civic cool just because it can keep up with a stock porche. its all aobut how much money you have

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:48 PM   #25
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hehehehe...

A 12sec N/A Civic that is a daily driver, hahahaha... God that was great. Seriously now, what does it have in it, a 350Chev?

BTW even the non-turbo porche will run the 1/4 in the mid 13's.

Let's see, the epitome of the ultimate rice engine, the 9000rpm 240hp S2000 can BARELY hit the 13's (when the clutch is abused to unbelievable lengths). Yet this SUPER CIVIC can do a full second better than the S2000 all motor and still retain streetability? Okay, now I'm pulling the BS alarm, you had best come up for a really, really good excuse for that statement, or a much much larger motor than stock.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 03:37 PM   #26
86LX5liter
Registered Member

*alert* *alert* *alert* *alert*

(there's your bs alert)

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'

Old 02-26-2001, 03:40 PM   #27
86LX5liter
Registered Member

Hey. I just watched it again. You know what I'm thinking? Kipp is egging him on, and if you have surround sound cranked, you can hear the porsche almost slow down kinda. I am starting to think Kipp wasn't on it in the scene's where the guy was keeping with him. Besides, if they used a Mustang, it would have been a closer race or better yet!! I have this two cycle riding lawn mower at home. Bet I could have raced the civic. But first I would have to get a high performance windshield sticker, and one of those oil caps that adds 200 hp to the front wheels. Does anyone know where I can get racing stripes that offer the lowest coefficient drag characteristics?

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'

Old 02-26-2001, 04:23 PM   #28
inferno
The Instigator

Tony Frank - I laugh at your statement!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Do you want to know why? Look at the sticker price for a Porsche Carrera 4 and then tell me that for that same amount of money you can't make almost ANY car kick the crap out of it. Also, I am not sure if you have checked aftermarket prices on Porsche's, but they are extremely expensive. How about spending a couple of thousand on an exhaust sound?

Unit and 86LX5liter, you guys don't have to believe me about the performance of a NA FWD Civic. I will try to find some videos to prove it to you. Stay tuned.
Old 02-26-2001, 04:36 PM   #29
84_GT350
Registered Member

I agree...it doesn't even matter what kind of car is in that opening scene. No car to ever come out of Japan could've kept up with that fine German engineering. The fact that it pulled even just for a little bit was insulting. And why the hell are these cops keeping up with Eleanor? That's such bullsh!t. That was the sweetest car I've ever seen in a movie (just barely beating out Steve McQueen's "Bullit" 1968 390 GT).

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 04:41 PM   #30
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 84_GT350:
I agree...it doesn't even matter what kind of car is in that opening scene. No car to ever come out of Japan could've kept up with that fine German engineering. The fact that it pulled even just for a little bit was insulting.
Then the same can be said for American cars vs a Porsche.
Old 02-26-2001, 04:45 PM   #31
inferno
The Instigator

Here is a street race of a NA Civic beating a Ferrari: http://94accord.honda-tech.com/Race%...icVSferrari.rm

Here is a video of a stock ITR running a *gasp* 14.7: http://www.landspeedracing.com/downl...20vs%20ITR.avi

Here is a video that I am sure you guys would like: http://acura.jynx.net/movies/capri_drifter.asf

Here is a video that I am sure you guys wouldn't like: http://www.benartex.com/pyabut/00gt.mpg
Old 02-26-2001, 05:06 PM   #32
Rev
Registered Member

Only link that worked for me was an ITR 14.7 and that was in Japanese....Ho-hum.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:18 PM   #33
82 GT
Import Slayer

Here is another flaw in the movie: Remember when he first stole the 500, he used that special tool in the ignition switch? Later when the car stalls out on him it shows him cranking away as if there was a key in the ignition!! Where was that special tool then?? Where did he all of a sudden get a key to re-start the engine?

------------------
'82 GT 351W,BBK shorties,
Comp Cam,edelbrock intake
625 cfm carter carb. c-4 tranny w/ pro stick shifter. 4 core radiator
Mallory distributor. 3:27

82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:00 AM   #34
Tony Frank
Registered Member

Angry

The whole reason why i posted was to get the point across that this is the movies. you guys can sit here and argue if a stupid civic can run a porsche.....who cares, if you own a civic, bring it, if you own a porsche, bring it. the only way to see is if you take them to the strip. so if you want to keep complaining then satisify yourself.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:52 AM   #35
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Frank:
The whole reason why i posted was to get the point across that this is the movies. you guys can sit here and argue if a stupid civic can run a porsche.....who cares, if you own a civic, bring it, if you own a porsche, bring it. the only way to see is if you take them to the strip. so if you want to keep complaining then satisify yourself.

That is exactly how I feel, but there always seems to be the attitude on this site that anything that isn't a V8 is inferior. I also don't subscribe to the "if I had mod X, then it would be different" or "if I spent the same amount of money" arguements either. The bottom line is that you don't have mod X and you haven't spent the same amount of money. If you lose, you lose, if you win you win.
Old 02-27-2001, 10:41 PM   #36
rbenner
Registered Member

82gt once you get the lock to turn the frist time a screw drive will work as long as you don't turn if all the way off. Tales of a mispent youth. J/K.

------------------
00'Zinc Yellow GT,H&R Springs,Mac Off Road H Pipe, FMS 3.73, K&N, Steeda Tri-AX,
rbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 11:53 AM   #37
86LX5liter
Registered Member

our argument here was that the civic did "bring it", and the movie misrepresented what the civic was capable of. This is giving the civic guys a swolen head. I don't care if you have this mod or that. If you beat me. then ytou beat me. But what i do care about is the guys that claim 400 NA HP out of a 2.2 4 cylinder, that can't back it up. Inferno tried to show video proving that imports can keep with and beat other cars. I don't disagree that some imports can beat some cars, and that some cars can beat mustangs. But what I do disagree with is the mentality that immediately follows misrepresentations much like the ones that were in this movie. That is our argument here. If you don't like reading posts such as this, and therefore don't want to participate, then why did you post?

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'

[This message has been edited by 86LX5liter (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 01:52 PM   #38
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Not meaning to jump in here out of the blue, but how do you know its a 4 cyclinder? I have saw civics with v6's.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote