MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 04:01 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Post FR200

I just got my Motor Trend for this month in the mail today, opened it up to find that Ford has made a 2.0L/304hp Focus that could possibly go on the market for around 12K. It's a beefed up Focus that the Ford Racing Technology team has been working on. But wait a sec, the sucker is actually for real!! MT pitted it against a frickin' Corvette and the FR200 actually hung with the Vette around the track! The posted lap time was; the vette-- 1:42.74 and the FR200 put up a 1:43.03. On a 2 and a half mile road course!! Other performance specs reveal the FR200 having a turbocharged I-4 iron block/alum head, DOHC 4 valve/cyl engine. putting out: 304hp@6750rpm and 285lb ft of torgue @3500rpm. It would have a 5spd redlining at 7200rpm. And with it weighing only 2700lb's and having excellently superb handling, it was able hang with a 385hp Z06. But as far as raw power and other areas, the Focus obviously didn't stay as close to the much more powerful vette in things like the quarter mile. But in the 60ft slalom it was close, at 64.43 to 64.63mph in favor of the vette.

I'm excited and scared at the same time. On one hand, Ford could quite possibly produce a economy car getting 22/32mpg(city/hwy) that can go 0-60 in 5.44 secs and can go the quarter mile in 13.57/107.40. Not too shabby for a 4-banger. All that with a reportedly great interior with two-tone leather interior seats and upholstery, some special guages and a *******' awsome 570-watt 11 speaker JBL sound AND NAVIGATION system. All for around 12K. And on the OTHER hand I see a ricers' dream come true. For those of you who don't know what this thing looks like; it still has the look of a Focus, but only with more extreme lines and added factory ground effects, not to mention a huge-a$$ spoiler that would make ANY ricer proud of. And to top it off, it said that there will be "possible production parts everywhere."

All in all, I don't know what to make of it at the moment. Has anyone else heard about this car or anything related to it? What are your guys' takes on this thing?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Yeah I saw that on t-v a
couple of weeks ago. I would
definately go for that as a a
daily drive. I like to get
better gas millage and not
put all the miles on my
Cobra. If they do produce it
I will definately be there in
line to test drive one the
day the dealers get them.

------------------
94 Mustang Cobra: off-road h-pipe, 3:73 gears, motersports underdrive pulleys, MAC cold air induction, MAC 1 1/2 inch lowering springs, K&N Air filter, Maximum Motersports caster/camber plates. Soon my steeda tri-ax shifter.
94 Thunderbird SC: only mod is a K&N air filter. But she runs very well and hard.
WHITECOBRAGIRL94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:45 PM   #3
fastang
Registered Member

Sounds totaly sweet to me. Fords 4 bangers will start kicking the **** out of thier V8's!

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 09:04 AM   #4
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool

I read that article too....Pretty ******* amazing! I'd get one in a heart beat, but i'd have to loose that GAWD AWFUL wing on the back. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I say if Ford can build a 300+ HP 4 cylinder, then they need to put that technology into a V8 and make 600+ HP. And fast. I like the idea of a fast four cylinder ford, as long as it doesn't start beating the V8s. When that happens, they need to turn their attention back to the muscle cars. As far as the rear wing goes man, look at what's on the 2001 cobra R!!! If that's not a ricer wing, I don't know what is. The right wing can look good on a car, even if it has no practical use. And I would hope a factory wing would fit better than any other wing. Does anyone have pictures of a prototype? I have seen pics of the 2002 SVT Focus. www.fordmuscle.com Check that out and tell me what you think of the new Mercury Marauder. A four door cruising machine with 300+HP not bad!!! And all black too, awww yeah.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 02:58 PM   #6
Red514LX
Registered Member

The key word in your 1st sentance is "possibly" That's Ford-speak. Translated for the consumer, it means "not unless hell freezes over"

Hmmm...if I remember correctly, doesn't a plain-jane focus these days retail for more than $12,000. So they would lower the price AND give us 170 extra horse? lol

304hp, 107mph 1/4 mile times, and lap times 1 sec behind a Z06 for $12,000? I don't buy it. That is waaay too good of a deal.

Let's just say this: Who on this board (or corral.net or ls1.com, or...) WOULDN'T go buy a car that could run 107 mph in the quarter and only costs $12,000?!?!

This is simply too good to be true. If I know Ford then the real FR200 that makes it into production will have either:

(1) a real 304hp, yes, but it will cost $30,000

or

(2) sure, it's only $12,000 but the "production version" released to the public will only put-ter out 170hp.

To be quite honest...option (2) would still be cool. $12,000 for a car that makes 170hp and weighs less than 3000#.....not bad.

I hope I'm wrong and you are right, though. The day Ford releases a car like that for $12,000 is the day I go and buy myself a new car.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 03:26 PM   #7
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Smile

I can't find the new mag, so i can't quote it exactly. But the FR200, if it was ever to be produced, would be approx 17-20 thousand over the price of a base focus. Not $12,000 like all of us would like. Oh well, we can dream can't we? I like the idea of the v-8 that is built like the 2.0, FORD...MAKE IT SO!! Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 11:26 PM   #8
Tod
Registered Member

Well, I'll put it down like it is written in MT, hopefully I didn't screw up some numbers heh;
On sale in US: questionable
Base price: $12,125
Price as tested: $200,000 (est)

The "price as tested" probly says it all. What is the price as tested important, i've never understood why they put that area of info in mags. Can someone help me with this?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote