MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2001, 02:05 PM   #1
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Angry MY HOOD FLEW OFF!!!!!

I was driving home when a heard a pop, then abot 2 seconds later my ghood flew up, buckled the cowling in front of the window , then slammed into my windshield. I stopped the car and got out. The hood has a HUGE crease in the front running almost all the way across. And the plastic crate and sheet metal on both sides in front of the wind shield are ****ED UP!! All the junk yards want at least $100 dollars for a used hood. And my paint is a special blend that can't be reproduced easily b/c the guy that painted it lost the codes/formula. So it has to be computer matched then mixed wich is hella expensive! SH*T SH*T SH*T!!! I was going to put her up for sale and now this happens!! Here goes another couple hundred dollars on a car i won't get to enjoy much longer. DAM* DAM* DAM*!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 02:17 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

That happened to a buddy of mine. He had just finished a couple of months of work on the car. In fact, he custom fabricated his own cowl hood out of his stock hood (looks nice, but VERY time intensive) and the car was just painted in a nice coat of bright red. Pissed him off a bit.

Good luck getting it fixed up...you may want to consider some hood pins.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

ugh that happened to me too. The body shop wanted to cut out the hood and reweld a whole new panel in *ugh* forget it...the darn thing is all bondo now. It could have worse...SN-95s take a hood flyup much worse than a Fox-my windshield was gone too, and the hinges were ripped out of the body. I got a new hood, and ironically, gave the hood away to a friend, they fixed it, and I just bought it back

You always come back to the basics

------------------
Elisha (Mustang Chick Extraordinaire)
1994 GT/Saleen: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, pulleys, Compucar nitrous kit 125 shot
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I don't know how many times I'd think my hood was latched solid on my 88GT. The bra would fool me every time. I was scared shitless on more than one occation doing a high speed run on the open road, when you hit 120mph and your hood jumps up and hits the safety catch... boom heart stops.

Thankfully the hood safety always caught it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:45 PM   #5
GTGrl00
Stang Chic Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about that. Wow, your parting with your Stang? May I ask why?

------------------
Yours in SPEED=======
Mandy aka GTGRL00
GTGrl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:47 PM   #6
DemonGT
Registered Member

i know what you mean Unit..that just happend to me..was showing some freinds my headers..then i thought the hood was shut when it was just the bra rubing..took off fast and it cought the safty latch..but then i got out and shot it and my drivers side headlight blew out..better then the hood coming off

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,E303 cam,cobra intake,76mm MAF,70mm tb
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 03:53 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

Reminds me of a story. Way back in 1984, when I was 16, my first car was a 71' fastback, with Mach 1 hood, 351C, 4 speed, custom paint, american racing wheels, etc...

Anyway, this was not a good car to learn to drive with. I had a few minor dings and dents with it, and it got to the point where my hood wouldnt latch shut because of the front end damage.(cant remeber exactly how I wrecked it so the hood wouldnt shut, after all, its been 17 years) but I do remember what happened when I was trying to sell it.

I was driving the car for a couple weeks with the hood just laying closed with its own weight. I didnt use a tie-down or nothing (I was a stupid 16 yr. old after all). It was a heavy and long hood on a 71' stang, so it stayed down just fine under normal around town driving.

Some kid comes to look at it with his buddy. I tell them to get in and well go for a ride. I was driving, and I wanted to show them what it could do (this was a fast car, 285 factory horsepower). I stop at he bottom of this big hill that everybody used to do burnouts on. This is a long hill, probably 1 mile or so, with a couple turns. So, I launch it hard, and Im accellarating as fast as I can up this hill. (by the way, I had completly forgot about the hood not being latched at this particular moment in time)

So im getting to around 85 MPH on an uphill, with a mild curve aproaching, and the hood gets enough air under it to come up. It came up hard and fast, bent the hinges, ripped the metal on my corroded 1971 inner fender wells, and slams against the windshield, also denting the roof line.

Im like "**** "! So, not knowing what else to do, I lay on the brakes and start to pray. I skided for about 45 ft., then the car goes off the road, over the side of a hill, and comes to a stop, just missing a large tree by about 8 inches.

I look over to the passenger seat and the prospective buyer looked like a ghost! Im almost positive that he **** his pants. We all climb out, walk back to my house, get a tow vehicle, go back, tow it out of the woods, only to have a cop pull up. Another 5 minutes and I would have been gone. The cop starts measuring my skid marks, asking questions, etc.. He didnt give me a ticket, but made me call a tow truck to tow the car the .5 mile to my house because he said it wasnt safe to drive (the cops had a crooked set up with a local tow company that they forced me to use). So it cost me $50.00 to tow it to the house. Anyway, I told the buyer and his buddy I would get an estimate on the damages and let him know. They both were still white in the face and speechless wehn they left that afternoon. Needless to say, I never heard from him again.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 03:59 AM   #8
Mach 1
Registered Member

sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 04-05-2001).]
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 04:40 AM   #9
jimberg
Registered Member

Hmm, I was thinking of getting rid of my hood pins. I think I will have to reconsider.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 07:54 AM   #10
NoSlow5.0

Smile

Silver pilot, i just finished putting pins on this morning. It will not happen again!! I just wish it did not happen at all. Oh well, that's life. Thanks for the consoling guys and gals. The funny thing was that I was laughing my a$$ off the whole time. I guess it was either laugh....or beat the car. I'll post about selling the stang. Thanks again. Light EmUp!
Old 04-05-2001, 08:44 AM   #11
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You don't happen to have full coverage insurance I take it. If so it would cover that.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:23 AM   #12
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I went through the same thing in my 92 LX a few years back.

After working on my car installing a fuel pump I got rushed to pick up a buddy of mine and rushed out the door. Last thing I did was check fuel pressure under the hood. I set it down without putting my pins back on because I needed to tighten the set screw on the regulator. Well I ran outside hopped in the car and took off.

I got about 100 feet down the road when my hood slammed back at about 20MPH, crushing the cowl, the back of my fiberglass hood and plastic cowl piece. I was so pissed but new it was my fault. Very annoying!

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster, FMS 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR subframes, UPR adj LCA’s (not installed), Air Filter, Lakewood 70/30 & 50/50, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
Best on DR's 13.09@103.92 (1.81 60ft)
Best on ET Drags 12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool (For Sale)

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 04:45 PM   #13
NoSlow5.0

Nope 2fast. A 19 year old in a GT stang pays way too much in the first place to be adding all that extra stuff to my policy.

The body shop that did my frame work quoted me $650 dollars to fix it all and paint match it. Better than a couple of grand at least. Light Em Up!!
Old 04-06-2001, 08:29 PM   #14
moc
Registered Member

Unhappy

Sorry Man ,hit a Bump going to my work and almost if it had been that my speed was decreasing rapidly I might have the same story to tell ..check this out http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=23036

------------------
1991 5.0 NotchBack,Black
moc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 03:07 AM   #15
84_GT350
Registered Member

A similar thing happened while I was with a friend about 2 years ago. Right before graduation I was in my friend's Tran Am on the highway when outta nowhere one of his T-tops goes sailing off at about 90mph. amazing thing was that it wasn't broken at all...just scratched to all hell.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote