MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 10:00 PM   #1
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down Road garbage!!

I was driving to work today and I was behind a big truck goin about 80 when I see this big piece of wood (guess 4X4) right in the middle of the road. There was nothing I could do to avoid it, so over it I went and BAM!
It nailed the flange on the passenger side h-pipe to muffler connection! I dragged it for a few yards and finally saw it come flying out from under the car and the guy behind me hit it and so on, and so on, and so on... Suddenly the car sounded like a stock car and I knew it messed something up...
Turns out it bent the flange and bolt so I'm gonna have to dive under there with a hammer and try to bend it back straight and get a new bolt for it. Bummer, huh?!??!
Driving on I-95 here in Florida I see so much trash, I'm surprised I haven't hit more!
A few years ago, a little girl had a big metal rod go through the windshield of her dad's car and right through her chest!! She lived, but man that's awful!!
Anyone else ever hit any garbage on the road?

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
"What was the best thing before sliced bread?"

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:52 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Happened to me just the other day coming home from work. I was in my '94 FourRunner, daily driver in Houston on the beltway. Speed limit is 70, I usually run 75. Car ahead does an abrupt swereve, I see a dolly like the ones people use to move heavy stuff and swerve as hard as I could. I didn't quite make it and my right front tire grazed it. That shot it side ways across the 4 lanes and I believe some poor sucker hit it dead on. There wasn't a wreck that I could see. I can't see what one could do to avoid something like that.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:54 PM   #3
Capri306

There are only 2 options I know of. One is swerve/brake and try to cause as little damage possible to yourself and others. The other is slam the brakes and hit it head on so you don't kill somebody else.

So far I've had cats, dogs, squirrels, opossums, frogs, gophers, groundhogs, chipmunks, deer, goats, sheep, chickens, mailboxes, garbage cans, and christmas trees jump out in front of me. Don't ask, I live in BFE. Anything can happen out here.

Sounds like you probably bent the flange pretty good. Your best option is going to be welding where it broke, since metal stretches when it bends. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 01:19 AM   #4
Power
Registered Member

When I was in high school I was following a Flatbed Truck which had a load of 4x4 cross pieces for powerlines. I was driving my 92 nissan pickup. The rear band securing the load snapped on a corner and dumped the load all over the road. One of them went through the windshield and the rest went either over or under. I wasnt hurt at all except for soiling my clothing but the truck was totalled. Turned out ok though, took the insurance money and bought my Z. Anyway, sorry to go on and on.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 09:02 AM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

On the 101 freway in Los Angeles i actually had a guy standing in the middle of the freeway and through a sign at us it hit the windsheild and broke it. We went looking for him but never found him i was so pissed.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 02:34 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

One night I was driving down this old twisty road (reliez valley rd.)near my old house, in my 95 stang. I was with a friend, and we were actually not driving that fast for some reason. All of a sudden, I see a dear just standing in the road in front of me, so I slam on the brakes, and come like an inch from hitting him. I honked at it, and it slowly walks around my car to my front window. I rolled it down, and yelled, "Hey, you F*cking piece of sh*t deer, get out of the road!" It tried to run away from me, but it's hooves couldnt get traction on the pavement, and it fell over. We were laughing the rest of the way home.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 08:02 PM   #7
PGkelly
Registered Member

When i still had my learner's permit i was driving with my dad on 66, behind a beat-up toyota truck. this truck had an OPEN metal gas can in it's bed, that wasn't tied down. we could see it moving from side to side. well, the truck hit a bump, and guess what happened? the can flew right out, right at me! i swerved towards the shoulder, but someone else hit the can and sent it flying out to the middle of the road, right into rushhour traffic! another time, i was driving with some friends and these two squirrels ran right into my path. one just barely missed my right fron tire, and i straddled the other one.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 03:08 PM   #8
84_GT350
Registered Member

Once I was driving on 635 in Missouri at about 4am and was headed towards a thing that looked like it was a black garbage back lying in the road. I figured it was no big deal and kept going. When I got closer I noticed that it was a dead dear just lying in the middle of my lane and by that time it was too late. The median was on my right and a semi was too my left so I just had to hit it. It left blood up and down the side of my car and ripped my exhaust off. Ever smelled burnt dead deer on a hot exhaust pipe? Not pretty.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 07:15 PM   #9
n20lx
Registered Member

Its like that every where. I ran though some truck tire & rim chunks on I-80 in IL last week. Blew out & destroyed the rim & tire on a brand new Z-71 I just bought 2 days before (around $600 damage). About 10 semis hit ht e sam 4shit & blew out tires too its a wonder no one got killed. We were hitting the stuff at least 3 guys at a time & going every where. A tow truck guy that came out to help the semis said there had been a huge wreck right about there that had just been clean up an hour before. I guess Illinois can't clean wreck debris off the road.
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 09:48 AM   #10
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Soon after I bought my '89, (450 Miles)I drove through some trash on the road at a sharp turn. Others were doing the same, as we couldn't get in the oncoming lane to miss it. Went home and put car in garage. Started to go to work the next day and had three flat tires!

Evidently, a roofing repair truck dropped a box of roofing nails in the road. I had a total of 67 nails in my tires. Thankfully my insurance paid for new tires.
On a return trip from Florida, I stopped for gas in Georgia. Heard a hissing noise.... left rear tire leaking. Try to find someplace in Georgia on a Saturday afternoon to fix a tire!

Finally found a place, and we pulled out a 3/8" X 5" alternator bolt I ran over. Put a patch on the inside of the tire and drove it till it wore out.

I just can't believe of all the cars and trucks on I-95, that damn bolt picked me out!

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - Original Owner
'94 E-150 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 12:31 PM   #11
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It's not considered trash, but I was coming home from work one night at around 3:00am and I had just turned my brights on when I saw this shadow in the road and locked my brakes up hard. I stopped about 4 inches away from a tree that was accross the road. There was enough room under it for my hood so it would have clipped the top off of my car along with my head more than likely if I hadn't of seen it as soon as I did. The tree lay there for 3 days before they decided to put signs up. It's a wonder someone hadn't been killed.

I guess it's not as bad as my buddy hitting the bulldozer the other night =P

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 09:37 PM   #12
HemiBoo
Registered Member

Unhappy

Today me and my Dad were going to columbia on 378 and saw a big bird fly out of the trees. We watched as it swooped down and flew right into the front of his freshly painted truck. We got out and walked back to find a hoot owl with a wingspan of about three foot flopping beside the road. Luckly it hit the brush gaurd and didn't cause any damage or injury to us. poor dumb bird
HemiBoo is offline   Reply With Quote