MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2001, 03:17 PM   #1
Power
Registered Member

Post Any Reviews on Pearl Harbor???

Anybody seen it yet. I think it starts in a few hours here. I read some reviews and there wasn't much good to say about it. If anybody saw it let me know how it was so I don't waste money if I don't have to.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:49 AM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Arrow

I went and saw the midnight showing after I got off work Friday night.

It was okay, of course NOWHERE near as good As Saving Private Ryan. Pearl Harbor was a decent movie, just to hyped up. The bombing scenes were cool, but everything was to disjointed in the action scenes.

DoLittles raid was a nice touch, but didnt last long enough nor was it portrayed properly. It had a severe effect on the Japenesse morality in real life, and was much more than what it showed in the movie.

Acting was okay, it was more like a Love Story in a war setting.

My 2 cents.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:29 PM   #3
Power
Registered Member

Well, the wife wanted to see it so I broke down and we went. I give it about a 7 of 10. Its much more of a love story than an actual war re-creation. In an attempt to secure a pg-13 rating they watered down all the graphic scenes. Because of this I felt the movie lost some of its horror at what really happened. Its hard to grasp the horror of pearl harbor by watching this movie unless you look behind the scenes a little more.

It had some good effects scenes and you get a couple of nice shots of Wheeler Army Airfield (which is right by me) and Kolekole Pass(also right up the road), so I was watching the background at some points more than the actual movie.

So, 7 out of 10 and I would recommend it to see. I would not however put it anywhere close to Saving Pvt Ryan.
Old 05-26-2001, 03:24 PM   #4
82 GT
Import Slayer

I didn't see it but I have heard a lot of WWII vets are pissed because they claim the story lines are not acurate and the whole story about the war was mis-portrayed.
Best part of the movie(from what I am told) is the war scene which lasted 30mins or something like that.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 03:07 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down

Didn't see it and don't plan to.

I've read some reviews (by both professional reviewers and regular folks) and the general opinion is: Too much trite love story and way too little about the real drama about what happened on Dec. 7, 1941. Too bad.
I think this film is sort of a 'Titanic'.
Mostly love-story with some tragedy/drama spliced in and a dramatic scene ('Titanic sinks, Pearl Harbor bombed) to cap it off.

Hey, I love car-crash movies because they are basically fiction and battle scenes are fine too, but even they can be overdone, and a long, vivid depiction of U.S. ships (and thousands of servicemen) being blown up and destroyed isn't my idea of entertainment.

Roger Ebert called it "A two-hour movie squeezed into three hours". Think about that.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 07:04 PM   #6
Power
Registered Member

Kinda off topic, but I just watched "The Wraith", on TNT and just thought I'd say that the movie is still good after all these years.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:59 AM   #7
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The Wraith...Damn... I thought I was the only one that had heard of that movie. LOL. Sherilyn Finn (sp) and Charlie Sheen were kids in that movie. Ya gotta love eighies flicks

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 12:06 PM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

The movie was made to be more of a love story than an actual war movie because it is going to be shown in Japan as well. I saw that on the news I think. Anyway, they said they are even classifying it as a love story over there. Go figure. I haven't seen it and really have no desire to, but probably will eventually since my wife wants to see it

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:29 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX:
...I haven't seen it and really have no desire to, but probably will eventually since my wife wants to see it ...
See my above post for my reasons for going and seeing it.

[This message has been edited by Power (edited 05-28-2001).]