MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-07-2001, 12:23 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question Computers?

My mom called me up today with this dilemna. Im not a big computer guy, so maybe you guys can help. She has to have a computer at home for her job. She is able to write off the purchase, so she bought a nice one (she thought). When she went in to get the computer, she knew pretty much what she wanted: Pentium 4, 1.3 GHz or more, with 256 ram? etc, etc. The guy at the store, though, told her that the AMD athalon processor was better and cheaper, and that she should get that one instead. She was really unsure about that chip compared to the pentium, but she was talked into it. Now, she says the computer freezes occasionally and has already had a few minor glitches. Basically, she needs to know if she should try to return this one and get the pentium, or if there really is no difference in the 2 chips. Any help? Thanks.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Pulleys, mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 01:28 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

From everything I have heard and read the salesman is correct. The AMD is cheaper and maybe not better, but just as good. Does she run Windows ME(millenium)? If so I would bet the problem is there.

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 01:58 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

It's more likely that the chipset on the motherboard is the culprit. As far as processors go, stick with Intel, but I don't think that's your mom's problem.

My guess would be that she has a VIA based chipset. I made the mistake of buying a board with that brand of chipset and am sure I never will make that mistake again. It seems odd that a salesman would be interested in saving your mother some money, doesn't it?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 02:45 PM   #4
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

AMD is just as good as Intel, if not better. AMD is cheaper and faster and just as reliable. If you are getting lockups the problem is usually something with the motherboard or some software package that was installed at the store. When does it lock up? If it happens alot you should return it. Dont let them talk you into try to fix it...RETURN IT. jimberg is right, the VIA chipset motherboards are known to have problems in certain cases.

If she has Windows ME, that is ok. While it has its problems, if installed properly it is MUCH more stable and reliable than Windows 95 or Windows 98. (Plus there is no other reasonable choice for a home user). Feel free to send her my email address if she wants to ask me questions directly.

Oh, by the way, I have been building and fixing personal computers since i was 16.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 06:18 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Here is what I've seen.

While AMD's Athelon Processor is quicker than even Pentium IV on an equal GHz chip, they are coupled with cheapass motherboards and hardware.

This is because the chipset is cheaper, so companies try to get every last customer by pricing the whole system super cheap. That means you get a shitty CD ROM, DVD ROM, cheapass Bigfoot Hardrive, crappy motherboard, low quality soundcard, videocard, and little expandability. Like 1 USB port, no firewire, no ethernet card... etc etc.

AMD itself as a company is in VERY bad shape right now. Intel is behind the times, but their chips are still better than Cyrix, lol.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I basically told her that if it keeps freezing up, then she should return it. She does run windows ME, but UNIT, as far as everything else the computer came with, it is all the same between the Pentium one and the AMD one, they are both HP computers, with the same DVD, CD rom, video and sound cards, so other than the chips, the rest is identical. Anyway, thanks all.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:32 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

SmokeyDP: That's cool that I can have her email you, but....um...do you have a different email address than Smokeydp@F*CKit.com ?

Dont know if she'd like that or not.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:16 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

I would bet as well that its the chipset. The AMD Athlon is a considerably better than the pentium 3 and the pentium 4.

AMD chips run hotter than intel, and are therefore more sensitive to heat problems. Are all the fans working? Are the vents blocked?

If its still a problem,definently take ti back. Give him the most accurate description you can, as someone who repairs computers, that is the best you can do. Just get all the details you can.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 09:22 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hmmm...

My friend had the same problems with his HP. It was and still is, a defective hard drive.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 01:00 AM   #10
Mustanguy

Cool

I just bought a new AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHZ that was custom built to MY specifications,in which you get more for your money.

Off the shelf computers are composed of cheaper hardrives,soundcards,etc, etc,which don't allow a person to have the best when it comes to performance,sound,graphics,etc.

Tell your mom if she's already having problems with this computer,to bring it back and get her money back.If you get this far with her,let me know I'll set her up with the place that built my computer,they have a ordering system online..

------------------

Paxton Blown 87GT
ICQ#91504337
Old 06-10-2001, 11:40 PM   #11
quick89gt
Registered Member

AMD is just as good as the Pentium's...and half the time, they can actually out "clock" the pentiums. Also, the freezing problems and glitches are probably coming from Windows ME....I've had a lot of people say that Windows ME is what is causing them to have problems like that and freezing up and stuff...i'd say it's a software problem and not a hardware problem.

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Vortech S-Trim, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Screamin' Deamon Coil, 255lph Fuel Pump, T-Rex, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 09:49 PM   #12
cubicinches
Registered Member

Manage a large IT department, and see this from time to time on computers that we get from outside sources.

There is a difference in the AMD and Intell, but hard to tell the whole story here. It realy depends on what she is going to do withe the computer, how big a difference it makes.

The bigest issue is the operating system,,, ditch it. Go with Windows 2000 pro. You won't see these lockup problems. Unless she is going to run some really old programs, it will run just about anything.

cubicinches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 09:54 PM   #13
dinomite
The Dude

Uhh, win98/me is a piece of sh1t, but you should try other stuff first. Most (you know otherwise) people want me/98, cause 2000 isn't compatible witha nything,its a server os, not for home use. Try other stuff.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 10:43 PM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

My Windows 2000 Pro and Advanced server both lock up. It's the VIA chipset. I think she should bring it back while she still can and get a computer based on the Intel chipset. Most of the people who love AMD love twiddling with their computers. A basic user doesn't have the time or knowledge to do the same. Intel based systems are more reliable than the other "cheaper" systems.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 09:55 AM   #15
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:
SmokeyDP: That's cool that I can have her email you, but....um...do you have a different email address than Smokeydp@F*CKit.com ?

Dont know if she'd like that or not.
buono@optonline.net

Also, if you get a cheap motherboard for an AMD system you will have problems. I usually use ASUS motherboards and have had zero problems. Most comparable Intel/AMD systems come with the same hardware.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote