MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2001, 08:36 AM   #1
lyonsd
Registered Member

Lightbulb EUREKA!

Every time I go to the store or anywhere else I drive around a bit looking for kills. And as usual I find nothing. I see cars going in the other direction, or there's too much traffic, or some other reason.

Then it dawned on me; the answer is so simple and obvious and right under our noses all along! CB radios!

Yep, the beloved CB radios popular in the '70s! Just imagine that if car enthusiasts all had CBs and their "own channel". Just as truckers and freeway cruisers use Channel 19 warn each other of cops, etc..., we could have our own channel to assist is in our ongoing war against rice. We could use it to warn others of cops in the area. Etc...

So when I go out for groceries and take the "long" way to look for a little action on the way there, it'd be nice to have a CB where I could see if there was anybody else out there on the road. Imagine if you will...

Me: Breaker breaker three eight. I'm southbound of Grand near the intersection of Elm. What's going on?
Voice on the CB: I'm northbound a few blocks ahead. There's a ricer up here in the southbound lane. Sic 'im!

Or suppose you're lined up with somebody at a light, it's red and your getting ready for the green. The guy in the other lane is "game"...

Voice on the CB: Hey you two in the GN and the Mustang getting ready to run: there's a smokey in the parking lot a few feet beyond the intersection.

And the benefits of using them at the "illegals" is also obvious.

And suppose you happen to get a good race. Nornally, if you're both good sports you exchange thumbs up and you're on your merry way. Sometimes you stop to talk to find out what the other guy has under the hood. But if you had CBs, you could talk without having to stop...

Racer 1: Good race, man. That's a nice ride, whatcha got under the hood?
Racer 2: 302 with Edelbrock heads and intake. MAC H-pipe and 3.73 gears. How 'bout you?

CBs are cheaper than cellphones. And even if the other guys had cellphones, you can't talk to them unless you know their number. Everybody with a CB can hear another CB user on the same channel.

So to get this fad started again, you guys in groups that hang out frequently should be the first to get them. And spread the word.

Which channel should be "our channel"? the "emergency" channel is 9. The "trucker" channel is 19. Are they any other channels "taken"? If not, I suggest either channel 5 (for "5.0") or 38 (for "3.8", as in Turbo Regal).

Anybody got any reasons why we SHOULDN'T be using CBs?
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 09:14 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

yea that 4 foot antena on your stang would look real cool.

But they are useful I had one on my old truck (they work great for calling for help when stuck in the mud)

BTW the only car that looks cool with a CB antena is a certin orange 1969 charger

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 275,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 10:02 AM   #3
lyonsd
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163:
yea that 4 foot antena on your stang would look real cool.
If you don't like they way a CB antenna looks, then use your radio antenna as the CB antenna.

Quote:
BTW the only car that looks cool with a CB antena is a certin orange 1969 charger
If it looks cool on the General, then why wouldn't it look cool on something else?

Besides, who cares about looks?

Old 06-04-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
MajorTwit
Registered Member

Exclamation

Bet people couldn't resist talking to each other while racing.

When I'm not lazy anymore, I'm putting a CB in mine, and using the broadcast radio antenna. I don't need to get out 6 miles, just want to talk to who I'm lookin' at.

------------------
2K GT Stock
FoolRichard
MajorTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 03:56 PM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

Ya know, when I was in higfh school up in NH CB's were really popular... EVERYONE had one... we'd hang out, 20 cars or so with antenna's on the back, it was cool... those were the days! Here's a pic of the beast ('79 Cutlass Supreme) from high school days.... That's a buddy of mine who wanted to burn out... Note the Big K-40 antenna on the back!!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
lyonsd
Registered Member

So who's installed a CB in their ride? we'll be using Channel 5 since 38 is a USB/SSB channel.

When this catches on, imagine being able to go into any town, tune in to channel 5 and finding out all about the street racing and cruising scenes local to the area.
Old 06-29-2001, 01:00 PM   #7
Capri306

Wanna hear something funny? Dan and I used FM radios all the way back from Columbus and it was great! It's fun to talk back and forth at higher speeds when you're tired off your arse, heheheh.

We all had CB radios in our rides back in high school. They kept us and got us out of trouble a few times that I can recall. I don't think the ricers would see it coming at all. I'm definitely NOT putting a couple of K-40s or 8' fibers on my Notch, but I could start toting my handheld (modified, yes) Cobra radio with me. We always used channels 4 and 30. Anti-rice innovation of the year award going to lyonsd.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 01:15 AM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Good idea! But couldn't "other" people just liten to you guys talking about were to race?
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 02:31 AM   #9
Capri306

Yeah, but who else is going to be listening to CB radio bands? Sure as hell nobody listens to channel 9 anymore, for example. You could scream bloody murder on that channel and no one would hear it. Cops don't have CBs, and ricers are too busy dropping their cell phones on the floor to care.
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 04:25 AM   #10
84stangLX

That's an awesome idea lyonsd! There are "hidden antennas" for CB's and as you said there are kits to convert a radio antenna for use on a CB. Once i convert my '84 over to be a full race car (i want it to be on the ragged edge for driving on the street) i'll probably get a CB and a scanner. It's nice being "informed", especially if you hear from the Police themselves. I had to return a scanner i was going to put in my car to buy an '89 GT (i'm halfway to paying for it), but that's a great idea. I don't have any friends that like to race, so it'll kinda be pointless but fun anyways.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-03-2001, 08:42 AM   #11
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I've had a CB in every vehicle I've owned since the CB was invented. It was good in the early days for communication, but pretty much worthless for anything over 2-3 miles now.

It is the best radar detector available for on the road use. Every trucker has one. They keep each other advised of speed traps, mobile radar units, cops hiding in the bushes, bad accidents etc.

Rarely do I use the transmitter, I just listen and get the latest road stuff.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - 5 speed. Original Owner
'94 E-150 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:42 AM   #12
dinomite
The Dude

my friends and i use em all the time. I just have a radio shack magnetic antenna on the trunk of my mustang, and we all keep the radios on ch 27. works great. I wanna get a more powerful radio and better antenna.....
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:46 PM   #13
69fastback
IRAQ VET

sounds like a good idea. I would just be worried about ppl finding out and listing in. It would be cool though if u could get eveyone to do it.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:56 PM   #14
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Smile

I was following someone in from out of town a couple of months ago. (Top down of corse.) He had a CB in his truck. I was wondering why he slowed down so much when we went by all those Big Rigs...evidently, he heard them talking on the CB about my car, and they were saying we were going too fast by. So, hearing this he slowed down ALOT, and we kind of crept by the Rigs. He heard one of the truckers say,"you think that guy has a CB?"
It was funny, I didnt know what was up till the next stop!!

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote