MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-24-2001, 09:02 PM   #21
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You won't hear me complaining about the 4.6L anymore. They make a solid 260hp now. Some of the guys are running high 13's bone *** stock. They have since 99.

#1 351W does stand for 351 Windsor. The engine was made at the Windsor, Ontario plant. The 351 does actually come out to 352ci, but Ford named it the 351 to avoid confusion with the 352 Y block, which was a complete turd a few years before. I believe it came out in the 50's?

#2 Yes, the 351W came stock on several Mustang's. It could be paired up in a 1969-1973 Mustang. After that, it briefly reappeared in the 1995 Cobra R. Other than that, you had to have a Saleen modified Mustang, from 1994-1999 to get the 351.

#3 The 351W made a underrated 280hp, 340lb/ft in the 1995 Cobra R. That was with a Cobra intake, GT-40 heads, and a mild cam. The Saleen 351's made signifcantly more. The S351's (s for supercharged) made up to 520hp in the Saleen cars. Most production 351's were pretty weak, it was more or less used as a truck engine. The block is significantly stronger than the block used for the 302, and that is one reason the engine is so popular with the Ford people. There are two more versions of the 351. The 351C, and the 351M. C for Cleveland, OH, and M for Modified. The Cleveland featured a semi hemi design for the heads, which allowed much larger valves, and a completely different block. It ended production in the 1970's. The 351M was availible till the early 80's I believe. The M was a 351W block, with 351C heads.

IMHO, the stock 351W is by no means a gift from the engine gods. They have weak heads, and a weak cam, along with a weak intake. The 1995 Lightning and the 1995 Cobra R's are a little better in the intake area, but the cams and heads are still pretty sorry for the engine size.

As far as not putting that engine into a GT or a Cobra, the 4.6L as proven in the 99+GT's is a good performer that is much smoother than the 351 and 302's. The DOHC Cobra has no reason to swap to a 351. That engine is detuned all to hell by Ford, and it's still makeing 340hp with the fix in 99+ cars, and over 300 in the 1996-1998 Cobra's. The lack of performance with these cars is Ford's decision to slap a 7k redline and crappy 3.27 gears with an engine that likes to stay above 5500rpm. With stock heads, cams, and intake, jmeiers on this board is running very low 12's@112mph with his Cobra. There is a ton of potential performance in those cars to be unlocked by the right mods.

I'm also not a fan of cross breeds.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:34 PM   #22
Rev
Registered Member

There's really no substitute for cubic inches. 4-valve heads with DOHC helps build power in the upper rpms in the 4.6. You have to be geared correctly to use that though. 350-400 CI OHV roller cam engines with good heads and valve train (GT-40X, TW, or AFR's) and decent headers will always win and cost less too.

I'm speaking genericly here. Not really thinking of late model GT's or Cobras for engine swaps. More like classics and Fox bodies for this.

I know that this was not the original thought in this topic. Still, it pertains.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 05-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 05-24-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 08:56 AM   #23
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Originally posted by Smokedawg:
I have thought about that idea too..My father has a brand new police interceptor motor(5.7) that he said he would put in my car if I wanted. All I would do i carbeurate it and go..He even said we could stroke it to a 383...After the problems I am having now w/this car I am thinking about it..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What kind of probs are you having?

Fastang: Here are a few of my problems.
This car can handle no stop and go driving situations..It gets to damn hot..like 240ish and higher sometimes to 250ish..I have put in a 3core radiator..Permacool fan..I took out the ac stuff and in front of the radiator even put a electric fan to push air into the radiator during stop and go driving..I put a 160degree thermostat and enginkool in it..I have no head gasket blown..I have fixed this prob a little with the electric fan but in long stop and go driving such as in the city, it still gets hot.

Another problem is that once i drive it somewhere over about 10 miles and go into a store or somewhere and come back out..when i start it, it acts like its flooded..and sometimes it will just turn over and never fire..so after about 5 minutes of never firing finally for some reason it will just start right up then act flooded..Now once i get on the road i have no problem w/it acting flooded..so i have turned the fuel pressure down but when i do this my car wont rev pass like 5500 and it acts like its starving for fuel.

So this car just now drives around my local town and right back home because i am afraid to drive it in fear of getting stranded somewhere or the motor detnating...

Any suggestions that will help is much appreciated..Thanks

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC del

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 05-25-2001).]
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 01:02 PM   #24
jimberg
Registered Member

I started a new topic in the Windsor forum to help Smokedawg. I thought it would be easier than sifting through the rest of this topic.

It's called "Smokedawg's Overheating and Driveability Issues"

jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote