MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 04:06 PM   #21
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Cobra:

What I expected was working with him keeping his head and not racing on the streets. We've discussed many scenerios where he would be sitting at a traffic light and a ricer with a big wing will come rolling up and egg him on to race. We've talked about the correct way to go is -I will race you but on my terms - on a straight line track... We discussed getting involved with local Mustang clubs - who go to the track on a regular basis to get his wild-ride-race oats out at the track.

My son has a good head on his shoulders - but he's almost 17 and still a teenager. He's got a lot of experience driving as he's been driving since he was about 10 - not on the road of course!

Hopefully this will pass and he will learn a valuable lesson in life. One quick brain-fart can mess up your life for a long,long, time.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:06 PM   #22
Rev
Registered Member

Mustang_289, I would like to raise one question. What would have happened if it had been you that was driving the 88GT (without your son present) on that "somewhat secluded residential road" when the ricer made the challenge?

I know what would have probably happened had it been me. Of course, I would have smacked the goose, fixed the grill, and that would have been the end of it.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:50 PM   #23
andy669
Registered Member

I cant believe all the hard nosed opinions that I am reading here. Sell the car? Keep it but dont let him drive it? Man, the kid runs in to some bad luck and you guys want to damm him forever. The last thing you want to do is break the kids spirit. There are alot worse things that this teenager could be doing.

Nobody even mentioned the fact that since the ricer suffered the most damage, maybe Mustang_289's son did a hell of a job of driving to avoid the medain!

I agree with the few others who said keep the car. Let him drive it. Be thankful that you and your son can enjoy this hobby together.

The only mistake in this situation was the goose being in the middle of the road. If the race would have ended without incident, would it still have been a mistake?

My first car was a 302 Capri with a SROD 4 speed. I was 16. I have been driving for 13 years and still have never been in an accident. Were my parents stupid for buying me the car that I wanted? (even though according to some of you, a teenager has no business being in a performance car) No, they werent. They knew (just like Mustang_289 knows about his son) that I had a good head on my shoulders.

Guess what my twin boys are going to be driving in 9 years when they get their licenses. If they are as good then as they are today, they will be driving whatever they want!

andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:21 PM   #24
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's pretty simple in my opinion. A rule was made, a punishment for breaking the rule was set. He broke the rule, and got caught. Now, does the parent wimp out, and let his son know his dad doesn't back up what he says? Like I said, Mustang_289 pretty much dug himself a hole for the current situation. If you're gonna set punishment in stone, you not only set it for the child, but for yourself. I hate it when I see parents tell their child what is going to happen if they break rules and then back out of it.

As mentioned earlier, a Mustang 5.0 is a performance car, and the reason you get a performance car is to use it. There are people who only run at the track, but that rule is tough to follow. Even for most adults.

I really think investigating the punishment from the state in regards to reckless driving is worth some time. Maybe you can plea it down to careless? Bottom line there is no way out of the ticket. The only chance there is, is to get the prosecutor or arraignment officer to plea it down big time. I don't know what the rules are in the state for a minor in regards to license suspension and revocation.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:23 PM   #25
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

What if the duck had walked out even if he wasnt racing. Could have been the same result.

Go easy on the kid man. C'mon have some heart, think if it was you in the situation and what you would want done. Be firm and gentil. Help him w/ the ticket, and let him keep the car. Im sure hes learned his lesson on street racing.

How many times did you street race in the past?

SKyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:34 AM   #26
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Its not really a matter of the duck, or the damage done during the race. Sure if the goose, or duck or what ever wasnt there, PROBABLY none of this would of happened. But It did happen. One can always "What If" a situation to death, but it doesnt change what had happened.

The point is, the son was doing something that he was told not to. Its about defying Trust, not about an animal being in the road, not about the damage done. That animal has as much right bieng on the road, if not more, than the right of the two kids racing.

Your son was lucky. Racing on the street, and accidents caused by racing on the street dont usually have such an outcome.

While some may be born with cat like reflexs, forsight, and intutions, some are not.

While I'm not against street racing by any means (That would be really really hypacritacal of me), I paid my duse. I started off with a car that couldnt even go fast..Had trouble going 70. After I got the feel, I graduated up to a V8 64 1/2, then I got into a new GT.

One must find his own limits before finding the cars. Most peoples limits fall far short of the car they are driving.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 06:29 AM   #27
LowDown
Registered Member

I assume the car is under your name and you are the one who purchased the car to begin with, right? Are you also paying for the insurance? I agree with your decision to take his license until after the court date. I don't expect them to take his license if its his first offense - maybe a suspension and defensive driving school, but it will stay on his record for a while. Does he have a job? Make him pay for the repairs, and if you let him drive it again, at least make him pay for his own insurance (not under your name - that will teach him the benefits of safe driving ). I'm sure he scared the hell out of himself and will think twice before doing something like that again, but a mustang is definately too powerful for an unexperienced driver who can't resist peer pressure. There are exceptions to every situation, however.

I've been driving mustangs since I was 16, but I bought it myself and paid for my own insurance(under my father's name). I'm 21 now and have never got a speeding ticket or had an accident....in a mustang
Old 05-22-2002, 07:33 AM   #28
particleeffect
Registered Member

1st, id hope he was wearing a seat belt.

Id expect to be punished for breaking the rules, even if they might be a little harsh. He knew what they were before it happened. It depends on what kind of kid he is and how sorry he is. If you hadn’t said anything before, id say take his car rights away for 3 weeks because when your 16 and in school, and since he has the taste of driving already, it’d be an eternity to him. And on top of that, he has to pay the fine and wheel costs before he can drive, and that should hurt a bit. But don’t sell the car if you like it.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:14 AM   #29
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
I cant believe all the hard nosed opinions that I am reading here. Sell the car? Keep it but dont let him drive it? Man, the kid runs in to some bad luck and you guys want to damm him forever. The last thing you want to do is break the kids spirit. There are alot worse things that this teenager could be doing.

Nobody even mentioned the fact that since the ricer suffered the most damage, maybe Mustang_289's son did a hell of a job of driving to avoid the medain!

I agree with the few others who said keep the car. Let him drive it. Be thankful that you and your son can enjoy this hobby together.

The only mistake in this situation was the goose being in the middle of the road. If the race would have ended without incident, would it still have been a mistake?

My first car was a 302 Capri with a SROD 4 speed. I was 16. I have been driving for 13 years and still have never been in an accident. Were my parents stupid for buying me the car that I wanted? (even though according to some of you, a teenager has no business being in a performance car) No, they werent. They knew (just like Mustang_289 knows about his son) that I had a good head on my shoulders.

Guess what my twin boys are going to be driving in 9 years when they get their licenses. If they are as good then as they are today, they will be driving whatever they want!

andy
Oh boy, with the "give em a break" attitude, I can't wait to see how YOUR kids take the teen years Someone's getting walked over

Not only that, he didn't ask for people's opinions on his parenting. He asked if any other parents had ALREADY been through the same situation. Everyone seems to know exactly how to raise a kid...

Stick to the topic, and ya'll need to stop dishing it on the poor guy. He chose to set a VERY OBVIOUS rule, and the kiddo willfully ignored it. ****, when I did that type of crap, I paid the price, and so will he.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:24 AM   #30
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Let me answer a few of the questions posted - if it were me behind the wheel and a ricer challenged me, I would stick to my guns - that I've talked to my son about. Racing is great if it's done the right way on the track. I'm sure we'll all agree - s*** happens - and too many unexpected things can happen like a goose taking a walk on the wild side.

I would not race him on any residential road period. Now if we were on an open road highway and the challenge occured - I would punch it to see who's got it. I've also explained to my son that if he's going to punch it - and I surely expected him to - take it on the highway, where these unexpected things are greatly reduced.

My son has a job, pays his own insurance. No matter what happens to any of my kids - taking words from an ole country song - "A dad's love will never end" and both my wife and I fully intend to support him in court. I must say for a 16/17-year old he's pretty responsible and does have a good head on his shoulders. Looking over the accident scene and hearing what happened from both drivers - my son did a great job holding tough with the stang.

I have been working him with the car, shifting handling etc, so I have to say it's more advanced in driving skills than other 16-year olds. Man - he was backing up his grandfathers tractor into the storage shed- with a tow cart behind it at the age of 7-8. I know many adults today that can't back up a trailer period.

I've looked at the laws in my state and looks like a first offense will not cause him to lose his license for any period of time. He will have to take a driver improvement course. I have also encouraged my son to do the research and find out what the laws are to be prepared for the court day.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:47 AM   #31
Girls can too
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
If you're gonna set punishment in stone, you not only set it for the child, but for yourself. I hate it when I see parents tell their child what is going to happen if they break rules and then back out of it.
This was my point exactly. I have certain rules that are NOT to be broken, usually set in place for a good reason, many that could save her life. Not to be unfair, controlling, a Grinch, etc. How is she supposed to respect me if I don't follow through on my own rules? I wouldn't have respected my mom if she backtracked. I kept my nose clean as a teen because I knew my butt was grass if I broke those key rules. Looking back, I know they kept me alive too.

550 HP Blown & Beautiful GT
www.NicandBob.com
Girls can too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 AM   #32
Girls can too
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang_289
I've looked at the laws in my state and looks like a first offense will not cause him to lose his license for any period of time. He will have to take a driver improvement course. I have also encouraged my son to do the research and find out what the laws are to be prepared for the court day.
Will you adopt me too? Your hard working, responsible son is a reflection of good parenting. He made a mistake, made it out in one piece, and you just want to be sure it doesn't happen again. It's obvious you just want to do right by him...He will be the one respecting that as an adult. I know I do my own parent.

Good luck on the court date, I sure would hate to see him lose his license...especially after working so hard to get there. Maybe it will be just a good scare, one that will keep him on the right track no pun intended in the future! Be safe! Nic

550 HP Blown & Beautiful GT
www.NicandBob.com
Girls can too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #33
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wow, good deal that your state is leaniant on Reckless. Here in Minnesota reckless is considered a gross misdemeaor, equal in respect to punishment compared to fleeing a police officer until a couple years ago when fleeing became a felony. A reckless charge for a minor here results in revocation until the age of 18, same as being pulled over under the influence of any alcohol or drugs if I'm correct.

Insurance companies treat reckless and careless the same as far as points ratings in many cases, so keep an eye out on the insurance bill.

His first court date will not be a trial, it will be an arraignment. The arraignment officer or prosecutor has some capability to plea bargain. I suggest your son make the most of it. If the prosecutor throws a deal his way, take it. Like I said before, there is no reason to go to trial on this one, cause the ticket is gonna stick. Best case scenerio is the prosecutor is in a good mood and plea bargains it down to unreasonable accleration (unlikely), or careless driving (more likely). Go for a trial date if he doesn't give you anything. Meet with him before the trial and try to get him to knock it down again at the next court date. If he doesn't do it, just take it in the rear and save yourself a few hours of waiting. Might be worth it to stick around the courtroom though. You can get a feel for what works, what doesn't, and how hard nosed the judicial system is. Gets the idea of tickets magically disappearing out of kids heads.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 07:11 PM   #34
scott93gt
Registered Member

Well, let's look at both sides:
He disobeyed your request for him to drive resposibly in the car and you made it clear going in that he would lose his license. You made the rule, now you must stick to it if you are going to retain credibility in what you say to your son reguarding disipline. He didn't take you seriously this time and decided to street race.

Other side, he is safe and unharmed so you could modify the disipline by making him drive a junker and make the Mustang a "drag strip only" car. That is probably what I would do. The point remains that there must be disipline. Remember when making decisions about disiplining your children, they have to be decisions YOU can live with as well.

Good luck and keep us updated.
5 speed, Hurst Competition Plus, 3 chamber Flows, 3.08's.

2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
(no pictures yet)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 04:42 PM   #35
Rev
Registered Member

My bet is that he will get off with having to take a defensive driving class, and that will end the legal aspect.

I know that I'm in the minority here as to opinions. From what I've heard so far, Mustang_289's son is an excellent example of a responsible teenager. I think he learned a lot from what happened, and will actually benefit from the experience (not that we want accidents).

I believe he will learn more from what actually happened than he ever would from punitive actions (some seem extreme to me, selling the car,etc.).

I've already said most of that before. All I can really say, is that both my boys turned out well without me playing the excessive authoritarian role.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #36
DemonGT
Registered Member

not all teens are the same..i was a teen when i got my stang...it was my first car...my mom didnt want me to get it but my dad let me...sure iv got pulled over a few times for speeding and once for spining my tires but other then that i keep it safe and use my head...

my mom said when i first got it that id either be in trouble all the time with it or id wreck it..and i proved not to either of those things...all though that car has greatly improved my driving skill...you dont drive a rear wheel drive V8 modifyed sports car the same as a normal car in wet weather...on a highway during heavy rain with flooded over parts of road...or spring time flurrys...found out the hard way on a few occasions...wet weather...whiping a fishy and not knowing what i was doing..ended up over the curb in someones front yard..had to drive down the side walk to get out spring time flurry..."oh ..winter is over" going up a hill doing 55...snowing lightly but not sticking...but wait what about a bridge...yup..you guessed it...hit the bridge...back tire starts spinning...posi kicks in...start going sideways...other side hit nonicey road...whip it sideways a few more times slide sideways half in ditch then back on to road...get home...check car...no damage just some grass and rocks in tire/rim..go inside and clean out my pants

point is...do i think you should take his license away...NO..why...you dont get better at something by not doing it...he needs to drive to get experience...all these young kids say "o i can drive good im a good driver" no your not...you have to experience things to learn...you tell your kid.."hey..even if its snowing and its melting right away bridges and underpasses can be slippery" dont matter..a 16 year old kid is going to be like..yea whatever...im 16 and i know it all.....

punishment wise..id give him his licence back..so he can drive to go to a freinds house or to get something from the store or whatever...not the stang that is...and id let him drive that again..not soon...cause if he ever gets his own he will have to learn how to handle something like that eventually anyway..so id say....3 months no stang driving...

i just think its dumb to take a kids license away..iv had freinds with parents that did that..but worse..like any little thing they did wrong they would take there license...lets think about this...how do you learn how to drive...you take behind the wheel course in school..and what do you do in that course...you "drive"...when you preparing to get your license what do you do....you "drive"

The End
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:43 PM   #37
jj_jonathon
Trisket

He's probably already afraid to race again, but that shouldn't excuse what he did one bit. So i suggest you make sure his driving privalages are as limited as you can make them. When my brother got his first speeding ticket he was only a senior in highschool and the only driving he could do in the 5.0 was to and from school and to play taxi for his brothers...NOTHING beyond it. Someone suggested taking it off the road and making it only get used for racing. That's a good idea, if you want to buy your son something else (if he'll even still have his license after the court appearance), but otherwise what you need to do it make that GT slow. Add a rev-limiter, throw in crappy gears, do something to make that car no faster than a toyota. Then he won't want to race it because it wouldn't be fast enough, plus he doesn't deserve the respect of a full mustang anymore by street racing, especially when his parents drilled into his head, "NO RACING".

These are my 2cents...keep in mind I'm 18, have two brothers and we all got out chance to drive the 5.0 for a year. (My brother brother is just now beginning that year though.)

Good luck,
Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:54 PM   #38
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

I was involved in an accident last year. The cop that was there issued me a failure to yield, which in Missouri for me meant 1 year in jail or 1 grand in damages, or both. My mom has Pre Paid Legal, which has become useful to us on two different occasions. We got a lawyer and got it reduced to just paying court costs and no points against my license and no ticket. The kicker was that I had to have 1 year unsupervised probation. Not so bad. I've been off it since September.

As far as the car, you could make it a weekend only car for your son, or you could sell it outright. I'm not going to say that at age 16 that your kid shouldn't have a modified muscle car, but they need to be responsible. Your son didn't show it that night that he raced after you talked to him about it.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:27 AM   #39
89mustanglx
Registered Member

Back when I was 16, I had a 85 crown vic. I still managed to find a straight road and some adolescent adrenaline (killed the tank). I was no where near mature enough for any car (no 16 year old is). I am smarter with my cars now, but I still manage to get myself in trouble sometimes on the street. Owning a quick mustang street car is a viscous circle as long as S*it talking rice is around. Some guys never grow up ;-)

Smiff
Edelbrock Performer rpm heads
Weiand 6-71 blower
Super powershot nitrous plate kit
(lots of other odds n ends)

442 rwhp (no NAWWZZZ)
512 rwtq (no NAWWWWWZZZZZ))
89mustanglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:07 AM   #40
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by 89mustanglx
Back when I was 16, I had a 85 crown vic. I still managed to find a straight road and some adolescent adrenaline (killed the tank). I was no where near mature enough for any car (no 16 year old is). I am smarter with my cars now, but I still manage to get myself in trouble sometimes on the street. Owning a quick mustang street car is a viscous circle as long as S*it talking rice is around. Some guys never grow up ;-)

Smiff
lol..the civics in town make wooden or carboard cutouts and put them on their hoods? "woo! i'm a cool mustang, la la la la"

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote