MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2001, 06:43 PM   #41
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88GT5.013.02:
Powerstroke chips don't alter boost level, rather they alter the injection timing and fuel delivery. More fuel means more power and boost. Of course you need a free flowing way of getting it in and out (conical filter, bigger downpipe and 5 inch exhaust on big chips).

I have talked with many different calibrators and they said it depends on the car, but most of the time chips are even done conservatively by chip manufacturers. They sell chips for all cars by a base program (a "safe" program). All cars are different and by tailoring to the different needs you unlock the potential. This is especially true on modified cars with stock computers.
#1 More boost.
#2 That's why just about everybody knows out of the box chips don't add **** for hp.
#3 Unlocking the potenital can give you 20hp on a stock Mustang, maybe a couple more, and on cars with significant mods, you usually see a gain of about 40hp.

I don't know if it was you or somebody else, but somebody was babbling about 100hp flywheel from electronics on a 5.0. LOL!!! Do you honestly think if that were true the guy that figured that out wouldn't be a gazillionaire by now? Not even a ricer would make that claim.

Bottom line, don't believe everything a washed up old Ford ex-engineer tells you.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 05-10-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:44 PM   #42
Cajun
Registered Member

100 flywheel hp from a chip in a 5.0, not in this lifetime. We can add over 100hp to a Powerstroke with a chip, but, you are playing with a 7.3 liter engine with a huge turbocharger, with tons of potential. If I recall, the best gain with a chip in a gasoline engine is for a Buick Grand National, we can increase it by 50hp and 55 ft/lb torque. This is a unique situation. Most cars are lucky to gain 20hp.
Later
DT
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:42 PM   #43
88GT5.013.02

What I am saying is that boost is not set in the computer. A diesel motor is very different than a gas motor. The boost is determined by other levels that are upped in the motor. The chips increase boost by upping fuel requirements. There are mods you can do to trick the computer into thinking it has boost as idle to have more acceleration. This mod uses a check valve to hold pressure against the MAP sensor and fools it into thinking it has boost at idle already, in turn the computer dumps fuel as if it were pulling boost. You can pump tons of fuel into a diesel and make it run mad, as long as the EGT's don't get drastically high.

Unit don't call me a ricer. I am the farthest thing from it. Have you ever done any calibrations with a computer or any kind of sensor programming? I bet not, and if you did you could believe that 100 fly-wheel horsepower is not impossible. It is definitely a spectacular feat, but not impossible. I know it sounds far fetched, but nothing is impossible, and I don't know exactly how "stock" this mustang was. It was a test mule. So who knows.

Boost is not a set number, and go to www.Ford-Diesel.com and see that every truck is different as far as boost levels go. I have seen stock '97 PSD's go to 19-20 lbs of boost with a conical filter and straight piping the exhaust. Putting a different downpipe on nets another lb or two of boost.

Please don't flame me, I have a PSD, and I have researched into chips and many other things. Think about what I said, the chip does not itself increase boost to a set number, but increased fuel and airflow in and out of the motor increases boost. The turbo just works off of the efficiency of the motor, more fuel in a diesel means more heat, and more heat is better for a turbine (which is essentially what a turbo is) which is translated into more boost, if sufficient air volume is there.

Jason

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 12:57 AM   #44
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cajun:
If I recall, the best gain with a chip in a gasoline engine is for a Buick Grand National, we can increase it by 50hp and 55 ft/lb torque. This is a unique situation. Most cars are lucky to gain 20hp.
Later
DT
Buick Grand National's are turboed sixes? Arent they? Wouldnt that just go back to our original point that chips work when they increase boost?!?!?!?
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 11:46 AM   #45
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
What I am saying is that boost is not set in the computer. A diesel motor is very different than a gas motor. The boost is determined by other levels that are upped in the motor. The chips increase boost by upping fuel requirements. There are mods you can do to trick the computer into thinking it has boost as idle to have more acceleration. This mod uses a check valve to hold pressure against the MAP sensor and fools it into thinking it has boost at idle already, in turn the computer dumps fuel as if it were pulling boost. You can pump tons of fuel into a diesel and make it run mad, as long as the EGT's don't get drastically high.

Unit don't call me a ricer. I am the farthest thing from it. Have you ever done any calibrations with a computer or any kind of sensor programming? I bet not, and if you did you could believe that 100 fly-wheel horsepower is not impossible. It is definitely a spectacular feat, but not impossible. I know it sounds far fetched, but nothing is impossible, and I don't know exactly how "stock" this mustang was. It was a test mule. So who knows.

Boost is not a set number, and go to www.Ford-Diesel.com and see that every truck is different as far as boost levels go. I have seen stock '97 PSD's go to 19-20 lbs of boost with a conical filter and straight piping the exhaust. Putting a different downpipe on nets another lb or two of boost.

Please don't flame me, I have a PSD, and I have researched into chips and many other things. Think about what I said, the chip does not itself increase boost to a set number, but increased fuel and airflow in and out of the motor increases boost. The turbo just works off of the efficiency of the motor, more fuel in a diesel means more heat, and more heat is better for a turbine (which is essentially what a turbo is) which is translated into more boost, if sufficient air volume is there.

Jason

The fact that you have a PSD makes it even worse....the ECU of a PSD DOES control the wastegate which limits the amount of boost that is produced. Adding intake and exhaust to a PSD will increase boost levels, but not by that much. The ECU
"senses" better airflow into the engine and adjusts the wastegate accordingly. Exhaust will raise boost levels because the turbine doesn't have to work as hard to expel the exhaust gases(back pressure on a turbo engine is bad). The turbo will spool quicker and therefore be able to reach slightly higher boost on the same wastegate settings. The chip alters the computer control of the wastegate AND adds more fuel to compensate for the added boost levels. You really need to do more research on how turbos work if you think by adding fuel boost levels will go up.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 02:05 PM   #46
88GT5.013.02

Quote:
I am going to have to disagree with you about a couple of things. The newer turbos are not better than the 94-97's, in fact they are LESS efficient. They are wastegated which allows the engine to boost quicker, but since they are wastegated they also produce more exhaust backpressure thus causing them to be less efficient. The newer injectors deliver a slightly higher volume/stroke of the injectors, but the PCM is also setup to deliver more fuel. Hook up a Star Tester some time and watch the mass fuel desire. On our trucks it maxes out around 78 % and the superduties max out around 90 %.

With the same mass fuel desire, injector volumes, and gearing, a properley sized nonwastegated turbo truck will out accelerate a wastegated truck every time. Plus you will get better milage out of a nonwastegated turbo.
My PSD is not wastegated. It is a '97, therefore, no wastegate to control. Looks like you had better do some research. This is from www.Ford-Diesel.com.

Maybe these people are mistaken, but I would take their word over yours, seing that they own these trucks and some of these people are Ford Techs on that website.

I do not claim to be an expert about this stuff, so I will not try to make any more claims, so this won't turn into anything other than a debate. I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging match. So let's keep this debate what it is, a debate.

I am willing to learn if I am wrong, that is why I come to these websites. So don't flame me and try to make me look stupid if you think I am wrong. Just give me your opinion not smart remarks.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:45 PM   #47
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
My PSD is not wastegated. It is a '97, therefore, no wastegate to control. Looks like you had better do some research. This is from www.Ford-Diesel.com.

Maybe these people are mistaken, but I would take their word over yours, seing that they own these trucks and some of these people are Ford Techs on that website.

I do not claim to be an expert about this stuff, so I will not try to make any more claims, so this won't turn into anything other than a debate. I don't want this to turn into a mudslinging match. So let's keep this debate what it is, a debate.

I am willing to learn if I am wrong, that is why I come to these websites. So don't flame me and try to make me look stupid if you think I am wrong. Just give me your opinion not smart remarks.

Ok. Sorry if I offended you. I was making my post based on the assumption that your truck was newer and had a wastegate.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:35 PM   #48
88GT5.013.02

You are correct on the newer (99 and up Super Duty's). No offense taken. I like a good debate every now and then. I know that you are pretty knowledgable. I respect that enough that I went and double checked on the diesel site to make sure I didn't look like an a$$.

No harm done.

Jason