MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
KG88GT
Registered Member

Default Racing with an automatic?

I have an automatic transmission in my 88GT. What is the best way to get off the line with an automatic, without doing a brake stand? What part of mods do I need to do to get my car faster off the line?
KG88GT
KG88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

gears and a converter. also get a line lock. it's much better for your brakes than manually holding them during a stage or burnout. to launch, you'll have to bring the motor up against the converter by using either the line lock, a transbrake, or your two feet. Something tells me a transbrake isn't in the budget though. i had one in my chevelle. nothing launches quite like a car with a 'brake.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Capri306

I'd agree completely with a converter and gears. I have a B&M 2000 and 3.73's, and it launches GREAT! The only problem is that now that I have an E303 camshaft, there's a slight bog until it gets to around 3000RPM. Having said that, I shoulda went with a higher stall converter. If you've changed cams, you have to match your converter to your cam. PI's are the best, and remember that you get what you pay for, especially with converters. Be sure and install a large oil cooler if you're going this route, because the higher stall WILL generate more heat, the number one enemy of automatic transmissions. You may also want to consider some better control arms for the rear end. This will help your launch considerably better.

If you don't want to go with a transbrake, here's what I do: Mash your left foot into the brake, and then bring the engine up to your stall speed, if you can. It should be brought up to the point just before the rear wheels start to spin. Then when you're ready to go, immediately let off the brake and ease into the gas. If you completely mash the gas, you'll start to spin the tires, and that's gonna KILL your ET. Trust me, been there, done that.

BTW, this belongs in the Windsor Power Forum, which is where I'm transferring this topic.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote