MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2003, 10:04 PM   #1
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Question Bondo????????

OK I have a question about Bondo. I'd put this in the Appearance and Detail forum but nobody really goes in there.

I recently got a 90 talon and the front bumper has a gouge (sp?) about 4 inches long and I dont have the money to buy a new front bumper. Can I put bondo in there to fill it in or does the surface have to be metal or something??? I am not familiar with this product but I hear people using it all the time.

Thanks in advance
Haley
Old 01-28-2003, 03:36 AM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Bondo won't flex at all. I'm guessing the bumper is rubber. I know Ford makes some rubber pucky just for repairing rubber bumpers on their cars and I imagine several other companies do as well. Check with a dealer or automotive paint supply store.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i just bought a grand am that had a crack in the front bumper and was wondering the same thing.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I have the Ford manuals on the 89 Fox body cars and the one for the chassis/body lists the part number for the stuff but I loaned the books out and Can't remember what it's called but you should be able to get it at the parts counter at any ford dealer. I figure if ford offers the stuff that most other manufacturers do as well.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 AM   #5
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

im actually in the process of doing a body job on one of my cars, and right now im fixing up some cracks in the ground effects, im using this stuff, its OEM approved plastic surgery, i got the flexible stuff and they have others, its a 2 part puddy, but it works great, i got it at a fender and body repair shop, id take a look into something like that. or at least ask around to some body shops to see what kind of advice they can give ya.
87 GT T-roof (needs paint) lol, rebuilt motor and trans, AOD - stage 2 shift kit, 3.73 gears - auburn posi, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back, FRPP 155lph fuel pump, K&N filter - air silencer removed, subframe connectors, strut tower brace.

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd

Rice Haters Club member#105
mustanggt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
SlowMopar
Registered Member

Ok. What you use would have to depend on what the peice is made out of. Bondo is not a good idea for a bumper cover. There are several makes of putties that can be used for plastic or eurothane (sp) bumpers. Should have it at any local car parts place. Plastic bumper repair can be tricky. Some will require the cover to be melted around the area to be repaired. I't been a long time since I worked in the body shop but I'll swing by and get the name of the stuff I used to use.
For ground effects it once again depends. Fiberglass peices would best be repaired by fiberglass matt and epoxy. The a LITTLE bit of bondo to make it smooth. I'm talking a very little bit.
For the eurothane (once again sp) see above. Hope this helps a bit and I'll find the name of that product for you. Any time anyone has a paint or body question feel free to PM me. I was top of my class in Autobody and worked in a body shop as a painter/body man for a long time.

2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Mostly stock
(Suzuki SV650 coming soon)
1967 Dodge Polara 500 - Heavy mods
1984 VW Transporter - Stock
SlowMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:24 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

SlowMopar

That'd be great! Thanx
Haley
Old 01-30-2003, 12:50 AM   #8
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Haley my brother is goin to school to be a autobody repairman, he needs to hook us up on some bodywork lol, he uses a plastic welder, which is a kit that mends the plastic , it will need to be repainted but its the correct way to fix it, sorry if everyone else told u the same thing i just said haha, i just wanted to talk to u

Justin
ex-lt1-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:01 AM   #9
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

As long as he does a good job I'll let him paint the car LOL
Old 02-02-2003, 12:18 AM   #10
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

You can get a flexible putty to use on the bumper, but if it is cracked you will need to get it welded with a plastic welder. I used to flexible putty on the front of my Mustang it worked great.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote