MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-25-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
JacquesRed
Registered Member

Exclamation Why a Mustang?

This one is for true Mustang fans. If you could have a beautiful 1968 Ford Mustang GT Coupe in mint condition and totally restored to original, tell me why you would want it. What makes the Mustang so special to you?
JacquesRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Why a Mustang?

The Mustang is one of only a handful of cars that is immediately recognizable by almost everyone, not JUST car guys. The Mustang is a true American classic and unlike the Corvette, was affordable by most people. It was a dream car for the masses. I would rather have that 68 GT coupe than any Japanese or German car on the road. When you drive it, you are seen, you are envied. You stand out from the crowd of cookie cutter generic perfect cars. I have been a Mustang lover since they came out, I was in grade school and walked home past the Junior College parking lot which was filled with Mustangs. I never owned one until 1993 when I bought my first 65 project car. I now have 3 late models and a 65 project. Before I started tearing down my 65 it had an awesome paint job, but the front left corner was damaged. It didn't matter, it drew a crowd wherever I went. Shiny red paint, Cragar S/S mags, dual exhaust, people would always come get a closer look. Try that in a Toyota ANYTHING. The Mustang will always be special. The late models are a continuation of the original. Lot of people don't care a lot for the Mustang II, but it kept the name alive through the boring 70's with the fake oil embargo and higher gas prices and made it possible for the Mustang to still thrive and continue to get better year after year. There has never been another car produced that has been so popular or sought after. Try to buy a Camaro lately?? Sorry, they don't make them anymore, but you can go buy a brand new Mustang right off the showroom floor with 300 horsepower and stand apart looks that are easily recognizable as the Mustang, the best Ponycar ever built.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Mustangs are better than pupies.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:31 AM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

mine is special to me because of all the blood, sweat, and heart i put into it. the older ones look the best in my opinion ...the older ones are the originals ...the ones that started a legend - that in itself gives it a better status than the new ones

just think how often you see a '68 rollin down the road ...now think how often you see an 03 or 04 and in 6 months the 05 will be like eggs in the fridge - everybody will have one

when you have a classic you have "the car"
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangII460
Mustangs are better than pupies.
Gravity too!

Aside from the asthetic reasons mentioned by 'Vert (All very valid), For me it is because of the memories I have from my first car/first Mustang, (77 hatch POS). Typical highschool stuff, but it still identifies with that car. Not to mention the good memories I have made with my later Stangs.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
racerboy88
Registered Member

nothing beats having a classic car. Any person down the street can have the latest car, but to own a classic is on another level.

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

I would take the 68 GT coupe, sell it, and dump all the money into my 65 stang. Or, i could just buy another project car.......
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

bmxmon, I like seeing young guys getting involved with old Mustangs, it keeps the hobby alive. There are some younger guys in our Mustang Club and they add a lot to the group. Keep working on that 65, there is nothing better than a classic. They are easy to work on, parts are cheap, cool to look at, fun to drive, and chicks dig em!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 12-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #9
Devine65GT
Registered Member

i love my classic, theres nothing i wouldnt do to keep it mine. i agree about the 03,04s dime a dozen, not saying their not great cars.. vert is right its a prestige thing.. you have one, most people that see it, want it. to the older generation its nostalgic, it brings back memories of high school days and their first real g/f, to the younger generation its just a plain fat a$$ car...

my 2 cents
-mh
Old 12-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #10
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I own 3 late models. I am partial to 94-98's. My 97 GT Vert is a somewhat rare car, it is the only one just like it in this area because of the Autumn Orange color. My son's 98 GT is awesome, it is his dream car, the envy of half the school. My wife drives a 2002 V6 Coupe, and she will probably get a 2005 soon. We love our late models.

But the classic Mustang is my first love, I have loved Mustangs since I was in elementary school and walked home past the local Junior College parking lot which was full of Mustangs. In those days, if you couldn't afford Cragar S/S mags they ran without hubcaps, and that was cool. I grew up loving the early Mustangs. I have been involved in several restoration projects, owned 3, but never have had one finished. It is my dream to finish this one because I actually drove it for 2 years before I started body work. It had a bent front end when I bought it, but it still drew attention. It is so much fun to drive a classic, something the late models can't do for you, you just have to experience it.