MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Question Interior decorating

With the stang in storage, now would seem to be the best time to do some re-decorating (so to speak) on the interior. I along with some aluminum pedals and white face guages; I want to accent some interior parts to match the body color (laser red). I know the paint on the inside won't match perfectly but I don't want it to look cheap. I want to paint stuff like the speaker covers writing on the dash and grooves in the dash, some plastic parts and little stuff like that. I don't want it tacky.

Who else out there has done stuff like this to customize the interior, and what are some tips and do's and don'ts that I should know. And are there any parts in the inside just doesn't paint well that would be a problem ?

And is it at all possible to put red stitches in the GT leather-grip steering wheel? Thanks
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 01:14 PM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I have done some custom interior work on a couple of my old cars.

One thing to remember is get everything sanded and cleaned good before painting. On the dash stuff if it's the flexible vinyl parts you are talking about you will need to use a vinyl paint.

Plastic stuff can be painted with a paint that is made for plastics like model paint. Use an airbrush and prime the plastic parts before painting and sand it smooth.

As for the stitching, you might be able to find an upholstery or leather shop that does custom work and get that done.

If you do this right and don't go to extremes it can look good. I like the factory look myself on my Stang and had put some thought into doing something like this, but opted to just use some stainless steel for that mean look like my shifter...

I made all the stainless parts here at work and plan on doing a buch more in the near future like the heater controls, stereo bezel, etc.
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote