MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2001, 10:01 PM   #61
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

CBR929 real bike? :::shrug::: Maybe the CBR954 will be better? I thought the 929 was utterly dull, and didn't have any real grunt. R1 or GIXXER for me.

------------------
-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

-1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), tubbed, trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:54 AM   #62
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89:
CBR929 real bike? :::shrug::: Maybe the CBR954 will be better? I thought the 929 was utterly dull, and didn't have any real grunt. R1 or GIXXER for me.

I would agree, the 929 appears to be a poochy for it's class. Last dyno numbers I've seen were between 120-125. A mid/late 90's ZX-9R will put down more with just a pipe and jet kit.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 04:43 PM   #63
spinemup
Registered Member

hahaha you guys and your stats, i agree the r1 screams and so do the gixxers. i was just impliying that a 929 isnt a kids bike... any bike capable of 10's is fast no matter what you would "rather" have. i bet either one of you guys could even ride a 929 to its full potential. 929 is with out a doubt the best street bike... r1 is carbed and the gixxers are race bikes. and dont bring up any of the new 2002 models yet because they arent in the dealers yet. i know the 2002 954 is lighter and faster and i know the 2002 r1 is fuel injected but they arent available yet so leave them out of the convo.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 05:10 PM   #64
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spinemup:
929 is with out a doubt the best street bike... r1 is carbed and the gixxers are race bikes.
Just because a bike is fuel injected doesn't mean it's superior. Take a look at Triumph's line up. The TT600 is fuel injected, but it has some issues. The VMax will practically run 10's. I doubt there is anybody on this board that could ride a 929 to it's potential. There aren't a lot of guys who can, and if you can, you're a professional racer.

Honda makes good bikes, but nobody is an untouchable class leader anywhere. From the dyno numbers I've seen, the Gixxer 1000 is just stupid. 140hp to the wheel, after being wadded, lol. The ZX9R has an incredible powerband. The 929 is street oriented, and the R1 is well rounded. The funny part is, the R1 engine basically dates back to the late 80's being almost exactly the same as the old FZR1000. Seems Yamaha had a pretty good idea how to build 'em to age gracefully.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 05:52 PM   #65
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***hahaha you guys and your stats, i agree the r1 screams and so do the gixxers. i was just impliying that a 929 isnt a kids bike... any bike capable of 10's is fast no matter what you would "rather" have. i bet either one of you guys could even ride a 929 to its full potential. 929 is with out a doubt the best street bike... r1 is carbed and the gixxers are race bikes. and dont bring up any of the new 2002 models yet because they arent in the dealers yet. i know the 2002 954 is lighter and faster and i know the 2002 r1 is fuel injected but they arent available yet so leave them out of the convo.

It all depends on what you think being the best street bike takes? You said gixxers are just race bikes. Well all the new sportbikes are race bikes basically. And when did I say anything about stat's? I was talking from personal experience. Yeah the 929 is capable of 10's but so are all of the new 600's, wtf is your point? Do you want the runt of the class, or the best. Just my preference but I'd rather not have the slowest of the bunch. Do you even have a bike? And just because the 2002's aren't out I can't talk about them? LoL. You've got some problems. I personally want the bike with the most horsepower in the 1000cc under class, that's just me. Right now it's the GSXR1000, but I want to wait and see what the new R1 has to offer, I had a 2000 R1 and loved it, and I've ridden 929's and they just don't compare. And just because the 2001 and previous model R1's is carb'ed what does that have to do with it? The R1's carburation was flawless. And the GSXR is just a beast. ;o)

***929 is with out a doubt the best street bike

Hahaha...Ummm ok man, if you wanna be the runt, have fun, having the best, beginner friendly bike in it's class! I have come to conclusion that either your 15 years old, and haven't learned how to correctly type and spell, or...your just uneducated. When typing "i" in a sentence it is always capitalized. Like this "I", anyway have a good day.

------------------
-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

-1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), tubbed, trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 08:06 PM   #66
PGkelly
Registered Member

Ya, i agree with 1BAD89. i would rather have the gixxer grande than the fireblade, i just don't know if i'd trust myself with something that big just yet.

that being said, just about every mag i've read has said the 929 was the best open-class streetbike, simply because it is comfortable, has more street-oriented ergonomics, and has a broad and useable powerband with lots of midrange and bottom end.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 12:00 AM   #67
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Wow, I can't believe I have read this entire thread now!

To each his own. Why are we getting so upset on whether Harley's or Jap bikes are better or now, which liter bike is better? They all outshine the other in one area, it is just a matter of what area you place the most value on.

I have seen many stupid things done by Mustang drivers, F-body drivers, and civic drivers. Equally, I see dumb things on sportbikes and harleys. I also see this stuff done by people of all ages.

I am sure we have all revved our stang at a light or gotten done with a race and then thought to ourselves, "Man, that was kind of dumb." I try to avoid it, but sometimes it just happens...in my stang and on my sportbike. But, lets not stereotype anyone.

Much of it just comes down to being smart while you ride or drive. There is a time and place to street race a car or do 160+ on a sportbike. While neither of them may be safe, it is a choice we have and a risk some choose to take.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:15 AM   #68
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Every mag. has a different "best" bike, just depends on which one you read. 2000 it was the R1 in most, I've seen the 929 in one. 2001 it was the GSXR just because it's awesome. ;o) I want to see the 02' R1 dyno numbers, that'll be what my decision will be based on. If it doesn't have more rwhp than the GSXR1000 count me out on the R1.

------------------
-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 08:46 PM   #69
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

OMG Pkrwud you're one ballsy fukker. I'd never ride without a helmet, although I do see myself looking rather sexy with bugs on my face, which I have gotten with just the faceshield up (helmet on). I guess you're the only one that has to care about your face, so I won't preach, but I was just surprised...damn.

------------------
Elisha~5.0 HO Racing (ahem HIGH OUTPUT!)
1994 GT: The Primered Wonder!
Email: Belle@Mustangworks.com
AOL name: FZRBelle306
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:50 PM   #70
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, how many liter bikes have you logged hours and hours of time on there Unit?

You are correct on one thing, I doubt anyone on this forum could ride a 929 to it's fullest potential, but to make such statements that seem to "parallel" the mags is quite humorous.....

There are those who read about the great bikes and those who ride them
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:57 PM   #71
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

One more thing......dyno charts mean everything to a poser....nuff said
Old 10-22-2001, 11:24 PM   #72
spinemup
Registered Member

ok... maybe i shoulda said the 929 is the best street bike in my opinion. i like it but i havent ridden many other bikes. i own and ride a cbr 600 f4. this will just end up being a name calling match so ill stop now.

spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 01:54 AM   #73
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7:
Wow, I can't believe I have read this entire thread now!

To each his own. Why are we getting so upset on whether Harley's or Jap bikes are better or now, which liter bike is better? They all outshine the other in one area, it is just a matter of what area you place the most value on.

I have seen many stupid things done by Mustang drivers, F-body drivers, and civic drivers. Equally, I see dumb things on sportbikes and harleys. I also see this stuff done by people of all ages.

I am sure we have all revved our stang at a light or gotten done with a race and then thought to ourselves, "Man, that was kind of dumb." I try to avoid it, but sometimes it just happens...in my stang and on my sportbike. But, lets not stereotype anyone.

Much of it just comes down to being smart while you ride or drive. There is a time and place to street race a car or do 160+ on a sportbike. While neither of them may be safe, it is a choice we have and a risk some choose to take.
Wow. I totally agree with you. I'm so glad you wrote it all so I don't have to

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 03:12 PM   #74
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Belle: What kind of FZR do you ride? I have a FZR600 and love it, although it is getting quickly outdated by the newer 600's.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 05:52 PM   #75
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Hey! No I never bought it, backed out on the deal because I wanted something newer, haven't decided though. I've been riding beeyatch on my bf's 929, and I think he is going to teach me how to ride on his 01 ZX6r . I definetely don't want to start with a 250, and I think I'm intelligent and safe enough to start on a 600 cc bike. We'll see how well I can ride first lol (hopefully no accidental wheelies or stoppies )

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 06:20 PM   #76
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***Just out of curiosity, how many liter bikes have you logged hours and hours of time on there Unit?You are correct on one thing, I doubt anyone on this forum could ride a 929 to it's fullest potential, but to make such statements that seem to "parallel" the mags is quite humorous.....There are those who read about the great bikes and those who ride them

***One more thing......dyno charts mean everything to a poser....nuff said

How come you didn't asked me how many hours I've logged on liter bikes? ;o) Actually people that have "great" bikes, also read about them. But nice comment? GEEZ. Dyno charts wouldn't mean anything to a "poser". Because they'd be too worried about having a beginner friendly bike. ;o) Tell me this, when the 929's came out, they were around $10,000. After a few months, when no-one wanted them, all the shops around here had them for $7999, why? Anyway people who like to go fast, and care about performance actually look at dyno charts, imagine that! Why buy a bike with less power? I will not buy a 2002 R1, if it doesn't have more rwhp power than the GSXR1000, plain and simple. I don't want a smooth, beg. friendly bike, I want a hard hitting beast. Horsepower is the main factor, if it wasn't the Gixxer wouldn't be the "best bike" as of now. I mean if the Gixxer had the hp as the 929 it surely wouldn't be the #1 bike. But all people have different tastes, so be it. The horsepower is what does it for me, and DYNO charts read hp.

-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-23-2001, 08:08 PM   #77
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

You guys don't know JACK about anything! You spout off facts and magazine ET's and dnyo numbers...yadda, yadda, yadda...Harley this and Jap bikes that...

But it all doesn't matter, because when it comes down to power and performance, well, my TOMOS (sp?) moped tops 'em all!

*just a little humor - a couple of brewskis will do that to ya!

Take it easy, E

PS - Everyone remembers the TOMOS moped right? In my neighborhood that was the moped to have. Some kids would switch pullies/gears on them to get them to top out around 50 mph! (of course it took them about an hour and a good hill to get that! )

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 08:13 PM   #78
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I think he didn't ask you because you weren't talking about liter bikes earlier in the thread.

NO one is saying that dyno charts have no worth, what are you talking about? But there is something to be said for REAL WORLD experience as well. Its like the people that read 5.0 and MMFF and all of a sudden are ripping on certain model years bc a MAGAZINE says they aren't fast, or reliable, etc.

Not only that, but many "posers" DON'T look for a beginner friendly bike, they usually look for the most popular, and so a mag's dyno chart DOES play in that situation.

Show me where I can get a 929 for $7999 I'll buy one tomorrow. They certainly don't have them for that here on the east coast.

Granted, the Gixxer Grande is a faster bike, but you're saying a 929 is a beginner friendly bike? That's squidly as hell. HP is important of course, I wouldn't buy a bike strictly off the dyno charts either, I want to know how it rides, how it handles, etc etc. I never would have bought my mustang without driving it. I don't buy vehicles for the reported HP, I buy them because they are quick and fun to drive/ride.

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 08:15 PM   #79
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

NO!!!!! Hondas are IN down here

Elites all the way baby!!!

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 09:43 PM   #80
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89:
[BHow come you didn't asked me how many hours I've logged on liter bikes? ;o) Actually people that have "great" bikes, also read about them. But nice comment? GEEZ. Dyno charts wouldn't mean anything to a "poser". Because they'd be too worried about having a beginner friendly bike. ;o) Tell me this, when the 929's came out, they were around $10,000. After a few months, when no-one wanted them, all the shops around here had them for $7999, why? Anyway people who like to go fast, and care about performance actually look at dyno charts, imagine that! Why buy a bike with less power? I will not buy a 2002 R1, if it doesn't have more rwhp power than the GSXR1000, plain and simple. I don't want a smooth, beg. friendly bike, I want a hard hitting beast. Horsepower is the main factor, if it wasn't the Gixxer wouldn't be the "best bike" as of now. I mean if the Gixxer had the hp as the 929 it surely wouldn't be the #1 bike. But all people have different tastes, so be it. The horsepower is what does it for me, and DYNO charts read hp.

-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 10-23-2001).][/B]
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess that you don't ride much do ya? See, the thing about sportbikes is that you can LEAN on them.... I know you like to go fast in a straight line, and that's really cool for impressing your fellow ignorant friends, but when it comes to shredding twisties and scraping pegs, there are few bikes as balanced as the 929RR.

Here's a hint, it's ALL in the rider (99% of it). I can still pass my friend that ride R1's and 929's on my "little ZX-6R". I ask you this, how much good are your "dyno charts" gonna do for you when you hit a decreasing-radius, downhill turn TOO HOT? You'll wish that bike was more flickable.....I swear that to you. If you honestly think 2 hp makes a big difference, then fine....that's cool. You're entitled to your own opinion. However, doggin the RR for power band is just plain ignorant. It's got the smoothest powerband and the most low-end power of any of the other liter bikes out there.....