MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #21
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Maybe you guys don't have the same viewpoint I do. Here in Minnesota, they are cracking down on snowmobiles like nobody's business. According to the complaints, they are too loud, too dangerous, and too dirty. Their use has been banned in my city, and neighboring cities. Most of the people complaining are wealthy incoming population from the urban area's. There were 31 complaints here in the city of Champlin. That was enough to ban snowmobiling. There are 1400 registered snowmobiles. The 31 complaints came from like 7 people. The police were in favor of it because they couldn't catch a snowmobiler who tries to flee. It had NEVER happened, but it could.

There is a current DNR crackdown on ATV's in northern Minnesota. Sponsered by wealthy land owners moving into the more reclusive area's, the crackdown destroys recreation for an already crushed community ripped apart by layoffs, mine closings, and businesses leaving. Property values skyrocket as the rich jackasses fight for prime country real estate in northern Minnesota. They come in, and land value gets so high people are forced to leave their homes. Many small businesses shut down because of the lack of constant customer basis.

A crackdown on speeding is most definately in force. Law enforcement agencies have learned they can come up with terrific revenue by pulling people over non-stop. The crackdown gets worse and worse as people slow down. Now they pull you over for under 5mph over the limit in some cases. They are running out of suckers, so they have to change the rules to keep making the quota. My city of 20,000 people has 3 completely unmarked squads that park in driveways, on the shoulder with the lights out, anything possible to bust a speeder. A navy blue Ford Taurus, a white Grand Am, and a silver Crown Vic are the weapons of choice.

Studs on snowmobiles were banned, then brought back in under a law that allows limited useage for an additional registration fee. The poor snow seasons, and restrictions, including the EPA's bullshit statistics are crippling the snowmobile industry, one of the few places to work in northern Minnesota left.

Personal watercraft came under gross attack by the DNR. Access restrictions, wake restrictions, speed restrictions. The industry is dying or dead here because of fishermen, and wealthy yacht clubbers. What right do those idiots have to the waters that the rest of the people don't?

Restictions on construction, like low income housing, and urban sprawl initiatives have resulted in SKYROCKETING home prices, and rent prices up 30% over the last 2-3 years. Increases in taxes, subsidies to farmers for ethanol, and other spending keeps Minnesota amongst the 3 highest taxed states in the United States. Where it used to be justified, with a laid back, recreational funhouse, now it's a militant crackdown on everything in sight.

I'm sick and fricken tired of it. Seems as though they pass these restrictions and laws one at a time in huge bills with one tiny line dedicated to "PS, you can't own a Mustang in the state of MN"

As far as me being out of line for calling somebody an idiot, he was the one that took what I said and insulted me by manipulating it. Along with his insults from another topic, and his comment that I (part of society) need to be controlled by people like him. Burns me to no end.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:59 PM   #22
Rev
Registered Member

I still think Unit has gone off on a "tangent" here. As a confirmed street racer for a long number of years, I do not think that bringing in "Nazi" (my word) techniques is really applicable. We in the USA do have courts that prevent judicial abuses and I for one, have full confidence in the use of constitutional law as a defense in preventing those abuses.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:13 PM   #23
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I agree with unit on some of this. i think the goverment is cracking way to down on things. Pretty soon we wont be able to do anything fun. it is like seatbelt laws. I hate that law so much that is way to controlling. if someone dosen't want to wear a seat belt they shouldn't have too.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:41 PM   #24
srv1
Get down.....

Question

GET MAD UNIT! MAD MAD MAD!! GET REALLY PISSED OFF AND GO PUNCH YOUR NEIGHBOR! QUICKLY BEFORE YOUR ANGER RUNS OUT!

i dont understand why it seems to me that you go off the handle so easily. you got your point across. most of us agree with mostly what you have to say. i agree mostly with you.

well i hope your not angry at me! and i am glad i am not your neighbor right now, but maybe the dude below me may?! hmmm.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:57 PM   #25
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Actually,
This is a good subject and a good thread....

Unit obviously believes in his point, and there's nothing wrong with that....

I also believe that the current crackdown on streetracing is bringing in laws that were better left on the legislator's desks...

Drunk driving is a LARGE problem, but somehow I never see anything about DUIs in the media anymore..... streetracing is now more dangerous if you listen to the news anchors....

Let me fill you in on my little "altercation" with the law...
One Sunday night about 1 AM I just couldn't sleep. I stepped out onto the patio. It was a beautiful clear night, so I decided to grab a soda from Whataburger and take a little cruise in the stang.

With a large coke sitting next to me, I started to cruise the back streets. No houses, lots of empty road on a clear night with some Van Halen on the stereo. Came up to a 4 way stop and saw a 5.0 hatch going the other way. Didn't know the dude, but he waved, and I waved back. As I turned, he turned to follow me. The road turned into a 2 lane and he pulled next to me at about 45 mph.

He revved, I revved.... I looked around, the road was dead and in an area that was just getting cleared for some new houses. We were definately in the boonies. I looked over and yelled whether he wanted to run from a stop. He yelled "great"!

We slowed down and stopped. I checked out the vicinity....
Nice open road, no houses, no traffic. Just me and this guy in the middle of nowhere.

On the count of 3. 1,2, 3!

He got a great launch and pulled about 3/4 of a car.... but once I hooked up it was all over as I reeled him in and pulled away hard...

And then, just as I let off... I saw the moonlight glint off of something in a side road to my right. Low and behold TWO cops pull out in their cruisers and the lights come on....

The other guy got back on it and passed me as I decided to just take my medicine as I pulled over. The second cop went after him full speed as the first opened his door and walked up to my door.

"Is there any REASON you two happened to be flying through here?" Boy did this guy have a smirk on his face....

I responded, "I guess you guys caught us playing around a bit..."

Then it started: "Aren't you a little old for this crap?"
He took my license and did the computer thing...
He came back and started again...
"You know we take this street racing stuff seriously in our city. Nice ride. I would hate to have it towed and put you in jail for the night."

As I was being read the riot act, I noticed ANOTHER cop car slowly creep up behind us with another 2 cops....
jeez... Its like I was a known axe murderer or something....

He threw me my license. "Go home... We'll deal with your friend..."

With that, the other 2 cruisers sped off. While I guess he was nice in the respect that he let me go.... I was left thinking what in the heck were 2 cop cruisers doing with their lights off in the middle of nowhere? Certainly not preventing any REAL crimes...

With the laws getting stiffer. Mandatory jail time, revokation of license... It could really destroy your life... How the heck are you supposed to work? All because I was having a little fun. Punishment doesn't really fit the crime in this case does it?

Not exactly the Fast and the Furious with tons of drunken\high teenagers spectating while known felons are driving at Mach 4 in cars that were meant to go 70....

If it had been a power hungry butthead of a cop who wanted to make my life hell, he certainly could, all for a minor offense.

Sometimes its unsettling how much power we give some of these folks.... Does the answer lie in giving them carte blanche to do as they wish? I for one don't think so....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:17 PM   #26
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

If it had been a power hungry butthead of a cop who wanted to make my life hell, he certainly could, all for a minor offense.

Sometimes its unsettling how much power we give some of these folks.... Does the answer lie in giving them carte blanche to do as they wish? I for one don't think so....
yeah, i agree, but it seems you just go home as for the other guy, well, most likely he wont! consider yourself lucky! remember it only takes one bad apple to ruin a bushel. as in your case, people before you already did.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:42 AM   #27
Friedchicken
Registered Member

Unit, I have no objections with your points of view- and some are valid given your experience with the law/government. I am not trying to win you over to the dark side or change your mind. I was just trying to enlighten you to other points of view and circumstances.

However give me the right to my own opinions as we do everyone else without the need to attack me personally and assuming I have no idea what I am talking about. If anything, I am the ideal person to hold this type of discussion with, as I have strong interests into both sides of the argument- course you wouldn't have known that before you opened our mouth.

For the record, I was not trying to manipulate your point on the 100k car. I only took it as I read it. You should be more clear next time. I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't see the deep meaning of your post.

And calling me ricer and that I don't deserve my ride and the rest of that immature crap you spewed? I hope that made you feel better. Nothing better to defend a poor position than to shift to insults and attack my integrety- which has no bearing on entering my own point of view against yours.

I didn't elect the officials in Minnesota, and I am all for *reasonable* laws being passed. But when you compare what is happening to the recreational market in your corner of the world to every faced of governed life here on earth, I think you need a little wake up call. There are extemes to everything and you have quoted some very valid ones. However, my position on street racing is firm and for reason. Just wait till you have someone close to you DIE from carless actions of others that would not have happened if the proper care was taken in the first place.

Ask yourself a simple question- should street racing be leagal? Yes or No. No in-between or conditions.

Should people be allowed to street race and risk personal injury or property damage?

If it's no, then the government may pursue what means they feel necessary.

If yes, then you would have more crowded meets and races with newbies and pros alike- (and we all know newbies drive perfect, right?) and many more fatalities.

Don't like the laws in place? Or feel the policing agencies are out for blood? I have a simple solution.

MOVE. Minnesota is only 1 state. There are many more to choose from.

Happy thoughts, Unit, Happy thoughts!

Last edited by Friedchicken; 04-08-2002 at 06:13 PM..
Friedchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:45 AM   #28
Friedchicken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponygirl67
They are cracking down really hard in Canada on street racing as we have had soooo many recent deaths from people who are racing right in the cities in the middle of the day...it is really a shame that so many innocent people are dying
I just don't know how some of you people ignore this fact and try to justify the new legislation by saying that its a political assignment.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:27 AM   #29
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
Why don't you get rid of that GT convertable? You don't deserve to drive it. There is no legitimate reason to own a GT vs a 6cyl. What do you want the extra power for? If you're using the extra power, which you are or you wouldn't have purchased it, then you're nothing more than a hypocritical, self righteous, moron.
I have to disagree with you. I don't think racing on the street is a prereq. for having a GT versus a V6. I never race on the street anymore, nor do I endanger others, but I STILL use the "extra power" on the curvy back roads that I love so much. Not only that, but the joy of the extra power can still be felt driving just about anywhere, heck even going uphill on mountainous highways maintaining speed while all the 4 banger suckas lose speed mwahahaha

On the whole issue, I'm kinda split on it. Actually, I don't blame politics...I blame THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS. Before you scoff, hear me out---

At street races I was 99% the spectator, and before that damned movie came out, most of the people down at the "spot" were peeps who TRULY loved cars, and came up there to actually race and talk to other car lovers, not do burnouts in the parking lot and endanger others and their vehicles. I went for about 1.5-2 years.

The first time I went to the same spot AFTER FATF came out, it was a freekin traffic jam from the highway down to the spot...hundreds and hundreds of cars. When I finally got there, I just turned around and went home...burnouts, people pulling e-brakes 5 feet away from humans and other cars, it was a sickening site. Typical kids that saw the movie, then took their stock Civics and Integras down to "be cool" like Vin Diesel.

-I'm getting to the point, I promise-

One thing I always did notice (before FATF), was that when the cops came, the posers and ricers always left pretty quick, leaving only the people that came down to really enjoy cars and stuff...we'd be there until like 4-5am, and the losers had been long gone, and the cops too (no one doing hot ****).

I can't wait until the goddamn ricer trend and the crap it brings with it is gone, and then the TRUE racers that can have fun and be smart about it can come back out to play, then the cops will go away, and the political agenda will quiet down as well. I just wonder how long it will take

Also, I DO NOT believe that its only the racers that are risking their lives. Roads ARE public, even though picking deserted roads does minimize the chances of a random car happenin' along.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:32 PM   #30
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

BowTie Eater 5 Liter , how's it feel to start a flamewar thread such as this?

I'm not jumping into the arguement, but I've been reading it and you guys are pretty funny, keep it coming!
Old 04-08-2002, 02:37 PM   #31
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

The politics coming into this was inevitable I guess, but the point I was trying to make way back at the beginning was that people are DYING !!!!! And it isn't always the kids that choose to race...it is innocent families or people that are just in the wrong place at the wrong time....no matter what it involves politically, you CANNOT dispute that this is a dangerous hobbie (IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY OR EARLY EVENING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY) there is no way you can disagree with that, whoever does is one of the people that is out there doing it, and eventually you will die or you will kill someone else....your girlfriend, your best friend or your own mother!!! Everything in this world involves politics now, that is life in this century, but how can it be said that the goverment is taking away all our fun in relation to this conversation????How is dying or killing people fun??????????

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:49 PM   #32
91KILLER
Registered Member

Im new to this board. But if you want a good rush of racing try being here in Germany. Just push the pedal to the floor and hold on. The only problem here is you can be doing 150mph and some ******* will just pull right in to your lane. You got to really stay alert when you drive on the Bahn.
91KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #33
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306

On the whole issue, I'm kinda split on it. Actually, I don't blame politics...I blame THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS.
now, now, we all know that FAST and FURIOUS ISNT REAL but just a ricer's fantasy!!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #34
Unit 5302
Registered Member

srv1, Sorry I give a rats *** about what's going on. Some things get me more ticked off than others. One group are people who get up on a soapbox preaching about how we need to control everybody and everything.

fried chicken, get a clue. I live near the Twin Cities, not where most of the crap is going down, but that's besides the point. The point is, it's getting like this everywhere. To your point about street racing. Should it be legal, or illegal. I don't think the term should exist in the law books. Bust people for reckless, or careless. You don't need an additional law just the crack down on racing. By the way, no, the government shouldn't have the power to crackdown on whatever it feels like, however it wants. Get a clue. Why not make jaywalking a felony too? By your idea, the government has every right to do so. It's in OUR constitution that they do NOT have that right. It's called cruel and unusual punishment. Maybe I have it better than people in other countries. I'm sorry, but I think "good enough" doesn't cut it. People who do, and then let it slide find out "good enough" isn't so great when you don't take care of it. You're the one who came after me, anyway. What's a matter? Unit didn't lay down and take a spoon feeding of liberal ideas from you... sniff sniff.

Belle, you're guilty of street racing, and a felony in Florida. Weren't you going to move there? Hmm... maybe you'd like the view from inside a jail cell while they haul Shiloh over to an impound lot for auction because you were using your power a little? Any attempt to gauge a cars performance, whether in an actual race, or otherwise is considered street racing there. Might have been a specific county, not statewide, but it's coming.

Ponygirl67, yep, people die on the roads. They die from rolling their SUV when they fail to keep track of the tire pressure, they die when people run red lights, they die when truck drivers fall asleep behind the wheel, they die when people don't look before they change lanes, they die when people aren't paying attention talking on a cell phone, they certainly die when drunk drivers are not in control of their vehicle.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of a cold reality, but people are not immortal. As great as it would be to hop into a car and never have to wear a seatbelt, or pay attention to the road because you know you'd never get into an accident, it's an unreasonable goal. How about felony speeding for 5mph over the limit on a suburban street?

When does it stop? Do companies have to install pillows on escalators? Maybe make it a felony for letting your child play outside because they could catch a bad cold? HAHAHA that's just so crazy to even think, isn't it? I don't think so. I think it's a trend that I've been watching for years. Things that NEVER would have been controlled 15, 10, 5 years ago are getting cracked down on now. So what's it like in another 5, 10, or 15 years? I know, I know, working in the investments sector of the economy I have seen the current interest. Now, now, now!! Gimme, gimme, gimme!! I don't care what the long term looks like! Guess I'm probably just talking to a wall with some people.

Like I said before, to which nobody paid any damn attention. [QUOTE]Originally posted by ME:
Bust it down in the city. Fine. Bust it down on busy roads. Fine.

I'm so dead set against giving a couple people doing a quick little run on some backwards county farm road jailtime and a felony on their record, along with taking their car. Street racing is a rule that shouldn't even be on the books, and it shouldn't be treated anything different from reckless, or careless driving. Actually, I don't think it should be treated worse than a speeding ticket. Maybe somebody here has a good reason it should be?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #35
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm so dead set against giving a couple people doing a quick little run on some backwards county farm road jailtime and a felony on their record, along with taking their car. Street racing is a rule that shouldn't even be on the books, and it shouldn't be treated anything different from reckless, or careless driving. Actually, I don't think it should be treated worse than a speeding ticket. Maybe somebody here has a good reason it should be? [/B]
you hit it right on there!!!!
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #36
srv1
Get down.....

Question UNIT IS ONE PISSED OF DUDE!

Question UNIT, did you punch your neighbor yet? are you still pissed off?

EVERYBODY HERE SEES THAT YOU GIVE A RATS A*S AND YOU ARE SERIOUS. WHY YOU SEEM ANGRY? ARE YOU ANGRY? OR DO YOU THINK WE DON'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE WRITING? GIVE US A BREAK!

[QUOTE]Like I said before, to which nobody paid any damn attention.
Quote:
Originally posted by ME:
Bust it down in the city. Fine. Bust it down on busy roads. Fine.
have you wrote to Congress or your local legislatures about these issues? well did you?
Old 04-08-2002, 09:27 PM   #37
Friedchicken
Registered Member

Unit, I still see your point of extremism, but you clearly are of the minority. The few that agree that street racing is ok are outnumbered by those who see it as a threat. Some agencies may take to extreme measures, but that is not my fault. Officers are supposed to be non-prejuducial and that kind of attitude is hidden from public for a reason. Some states have looser policies and some states have larger problems than others.

That is not MY liberal policy that you feel is being imposed on you, but DEMOCRACY. 10 people speak out against these little rice burners vs the 1 enthusiast who is responsible about their hobby. It's not my fault that you like in such a conservative state and place hardarsed rules to suit. That sounds like your brothers and sisters fault... you know... the poeple that elcted your gov't officials?

No matter how you try to explain your points, these laws are reactionary, not some make money scheme to give policing agencies a carte-blanche or any excuse to pull someone over.

"I" didn't put headlines in the paper about teens killed in high speed manouvers or whatever. Don't get pissed at me when it brings public outcry and attention. "I" and the people "like" me didn't force that 16yr old with daddies BMW to race in broad daylight and kill 2 poeple in an oncomming lane. Why not be pissed off at the ones responsible for bringing these changes in the first place instead of hating "us" who actually care about the victim. Go after the ricers and subur street racers.

And I cannot believe you can sit there and compare a bylaw concerning EPA restrictions on snowmobiles in suburbia to manslaughter and carless driving. LOL I thought that snowmobiles were used as recreation in the great outdoors on trails, farms, the bush and the like....

Remember to breath Unit! Try to find your happy place
Old 04-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #38
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:

Belle, you're guilty of street racing, and a felony in Florida. Weren't you going to move there? Hmm... maybe you'd like the view from inside a jail cell while they haul Shiloh over to an impound lot for auction because you were using your power a little? Any attempt to gauge a cars performance, whether in an actual race, or otherwise is considered street racing there. Might have been a specific county, not statewide, but it's coming.
Of course, I'm sure almost all of us have partaken in the activity once if not several times. However, I have not personally raced since I lost my hood, windshield, and part of my roof to a race, which was ALMOST 2 years ago...so if learning from my mistakes still means peeps can rub in idiocy from my youth...well its no wonder people don't try harder to improve themselves .

And if it gets to the point that hanging on a country road constitutes street racing, well by then we probably have ALOT more to worry bout law wise, you know?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:42 PM   #39
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's high time real issues were addressed on the roads. Like not letting drunk drivers back onto them again and again. Street racing a felony, but drunk driving isn't?
Unit, I totally agree with your point of view on this. The people that are drunk drivers and kill people, all have at least 3-4 D.U.I's.... I mean wtf, I know of at least 30 people right now that have 3+ D.U.I's and still have their license. What is up with that? Ahhh no big deal......just let em off....But WATCH OUT if you get caught roasting the tires at a stop light or something of that nature. Hell I'll just get plastered next time I want to drive a little fast or I get the urge to race, I'll probaly get out of it then.... And also on the government cracking down on stupid things: Limiting the top speed on motorcycles to 186mph, what the hell is going to be the difference between a 200mph and a 186mph crash? And why limit it? The tuners are still going to sell kits to remove the limiter or trick it. And limiting the new cobra to 155mph? When they say it can do 175? What's the point? And limiting all personal watercrafts top speed to 60mph? Enough is enough, give us our rights, quit trying to control us to the point of bullshit.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 04-09-2002 at 09:42 PM..
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:48 PM   #40
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

You want to stop crack downs? Shoot everyone associated with the news media. In the past the medai reported what happened, and you made up your own mind about the matter. But oh no, not anymore. They "tell" the news and what your opinion should be, you are no longer allowed to make up your own mind.

This zero tollerance thing is also crap on a stick. Punishments should be based on prior records, circumstances, and the severity of the crime. Street racing should be along the same lines as reckless driving, in fact street racing should be reckless driving.

BTW, I agree with Unit 110%. I've had enough of this big brother and politicaly correct CRAP.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote