MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Default Weightlifters got a ? for ya

Are their any new supplements out there that actually works besides creatine?? I'm getting back into weightlifting/powerlifting again. I use to be able to bench 336 9 times and squat close to 560. Now i want to be get back into it again and get bulked up. Any workout suggestions?? thanks.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:17 PM   #2
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

geez, if you were benching 339 and squating 560 I'd say that whatever you were doing before was working good enough. I'm an advocate of bulking up through a healthy diet and hard work, there's no need for supplements if you're eating right. But then again, when I stopped lifting in january my squat max was 300 lbs, and I'm not even going to mention my bench numbers. You could probably curl that much. To answer your question I haven't heard of any new supplements.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:40 PM   #3
foxbodied
Registered Member

Yea bro just do what you were doing before. Unless you want to be looking like arnold.
foxbodied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 11:55 PM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I've heard a lot of good things about POS (Performance Optimizer System) 5.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:29 AM   #5
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

ever herd of steroids? i hear they work pretty well.. haha. jk

just eat good, no need for supplements, there just a waste of money imo.

anyone tryd hydroxy cut?

later
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #6
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Well i'm the same size now that i was back then. I just need the definition back. I started a pretty good diet a while back but didn't stay with it. But now i'm gonna try it again and see how i do. I used hydroxycut with pretty good results. But it makes you hungry all the time. I'm gonna get back into the gym sometime soon and start working out again.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:33 AM   #7
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

My personal advice is to stay away from the suppliments. Simply eat more smaller high-carb meals and try to avoid the fattier choices of carbs.

You never really know the long-term effects of different "natural" products sold at GNC. For example, you might wind up with large calcium deposits or only god knows what 15 years later.....

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 09:46 AM   #8
jimberg
Registered Member

How long ago was "back then"? How old are you now? Muscles have memory and it doesn't take long to get back to where you were unless you are significantly older. If you're over 35 and back then was mid-20's, it is a good bet that your testosterone levels have dropped quite a bit. Back when I was 23 or so,
I started lifting again and went from benching a pathetic 225 to benching 385 in about 6 months. My max in high school was 240 which was the last time I seriously lifted.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:06 AM   #9
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

I'm 31 now, and "back then" was when i was 27. So it's been 4 years.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:20 AM   #10
jimberg
Registered Member

You'll be fine then. Screw the supplements.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:21 AM   #11
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am not the biggest guy and I dont work out as much as I use to but, I max 300 on bench and 400+ sqaut.

I need to start working out again too. I was 6ft 215 lbs solid just 2 years ago.

Now I am starting to get a gut and weigh almost 230 lbs. I am 26 yrs old getting old sux.

I liked the results I got with Creatine.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:57 AM   #12
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
Well i'm the same size now that i was back then. I just need the definition back. I started a pretty good diet a while back but didn't stay with it. But now i'm gonna try it again and see how i do. I used hydroxycut with pretty good results. But it makes you hungry all the time. I'm gonna get back into the gym sometime soon and start working out again.
WTF kind of hydroxycut were YOU taking??? Its supposed to curb your appetite, and it worked for me...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:33 PM   #13
The Deuce
Registered Member

Sounds like it was rolled into a J. Actually all that stuff has speed in it (well not really) but it should speed up your metablosism, and make you not hungry. Were you cutting back the caloric intake too far while taking it?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:46 PM   #14
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Yes i cut my calorie intake wayy back. But the hydroxcut that i was taking made me hungry all the time. I know that it's not suppose to but it did.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:52 PM   #15
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
Actually all that stuff has speed in it (well not really) but it should speed up your metablosism, and make you not hungry. Were you cutting back the caloric intake too far while taking it?
Actually it does. Ephedrine is the main ingredient in Methamphetamines. Taking too much Ma Huang and not eating over long periods of time is a sure fire recipe for a premature heart attack, stroke, or even pyschosis in some cases. You know what they say...everything in moderation!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:55 PM   #16
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
Actually it does. Ephedrine is the main ingredient in Methamphetamines. Taking too much Ma Huang and not eating over long periods of time is a sure fire recipe for a premature heart attack, stroke, or even pyschosis in some cases. You know what they say...everything in moderation!
You're one smart(arse) cookie, eh Belle?

They don't buy speed off the street and put it in there though. Most suppliments are just a legal manipulation of an illegal drug anyway. Well, except maybe asprin. You know what the street value of that stuff is?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:58 PM   #17
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I would personally suggest to stay away from the creatine. It does wonders while you are working out. But, there is always a but, when you stop working out, even if you discontinue the creatine, the weight and mass you gained will turn to mush. Trust me. If you could see me now compared to in high school, you wouldn't think I was the same person. Do it the old fashion way, eat right, run alot- at a track not the street concrete causes shin splints- and work out.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:01 PM   #18
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Its always interesting how either side of the debate can skew the facts to push their cause...Check out the difference in tone between these two sites:

http://www.ephedrafacts.com/

http://ephedrainjury.com/

Isn't debating among humans wonderful?
Old 09-06-2002, 12:52 AM   #19
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I'm still playing college football up here in Canada and I've tried many supplements along the way. There really isn't anything new that is as effective as creatine. Methoxy-7-isoflavine was thought to be the next best thing but it is too expensive for most of us and the gains are only modest. My main staples are creatine and glutamine. I also use a lot of whey proteins and Prolab's Nlarge2.
When taking creatine, I heat up a kettle of water and put the creatine powder and a scoop of gatorade in a plastic bottle, shake them up and then pour it over a glass filled with ice. That way the creatine is fully dissolved and the gatorade spikes your insulin levels to increase the uptake of the creatine and cold liquid are absorbed faster than warm ones. I also take creatine on an empty stomache.
I mostly use the Prolab Nlarge2 as a post workout shake because it has an ideal ratio of carbs to protein and a liquid meal after a workout will absorb quicker than solid foods.
Other than that, make sure you are eating quality sources of protein, they're not all created equally.
Tribulus terrestitis can give good gains and is quite safe because it just helps the raw materials that you already have combine to make up testosterone. HMB has helped a little but the cost was too much for me.
If your looking for strength, stay away from the hydroxycut, trimming and building should be done at different stages, almost everyone who tries to do both at the same time fails. Also people who blame supplement that they took in the past for their present state need to look in the mirror to find the true source of their present physical condition.
Sorry a little long winded but I do know this subject pretty well and I try to keep up on the current info to stay competitive.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:45 AM   #20
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

Why would creatine be the cause of your muscles turning to mush if you stop working out. It's a naturally occuring substance in the body. If you stop working out you're going to lose muscle mass no matter how you gained it, with or without supplements. You lose muscle mass three times faster than you can gain it(something like that)