MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-13-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Extremestang

Default Launch.....hitting frame tunnel! HELP!!

Okay tech gods, i really need some help here. The problem:

When i launch from the line, then shift into second, the rear of the driveshaft is hitting the body(end of the frame tunnel)......

it damaged the end yoke pretty good, so i had to get another aluiminum shaft, which is a little larger then the stock one. The car has been lowered 2 inches all the way around with eibach springs, i run kyb front struts and lakewood drag shocks in the rear. I put the bbk pinion snubber in awhile back to stop it from bottoming out on the differential.

My question is this:

Will the use of an adjustable pinion snubber relieve me of the bottoming out on the frame tunnel? And will the use of traction bars stop it from bottoming out that far? I'm guessing that they should help, but i dont know for sure and do not want to waste 300 bucks if they dont work. Any help is greatly appreciated? I dont want to destroy another driveshaft and that rough grinding sound is definately not pleasent to hear or feel. Thanks guys!

-1998 Ford Contour SVT #1199 of 6535
Bat y-pipe, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS headers, Bat intake tube, DMD, P/S & Alt Underdrives, Pro-M 75 mm MAF, K&N filter, Diablosport "tuned" Chip, Centerforce clutch, B&M short throw shifter and some suspension mods
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=24993
-Former Car: 1995 Ford Mustang
To many mods to list here..lost the car to Hurricane Isabel 9/18/03
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=23621
Extremestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:38 AM   #2
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Hmm Wish I knew tha answer but I dont.

Hows that procharger feeling now though?

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 07:34 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I had this problem on my stang. I have/had Eibach's 2" drop springs on my car. Everything ran fine. Then I installed my alunimum drive shaft. Since it's a lager diameter then the steal one, it would hit the tunnel. I put the stock snubber on, but it only gave 1/2 of travel room before it hit the rear end. The ride was too bumpy. I went out and bought 4 cyl rear springs and raised my back end up. The springs are softer and they make my rear end squat more without letting it hit my tunnel.

I'm not saying go out and get different springs, the adjustable snubber would be possiable soultion. If your daring enough, you can shave a little bit of rubber off the stock snubber. That will require a lot of time, and trial and error. So if you have the time and patience, that would be the best for your budget. I've seen adjustable snubbers for less then 100.... check out summit.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 AM   #4
fred50stang
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I had this same problem. I had 4 cyl. springs and yes they do ride a lot nicer than others and give the car some weight transfer abilities, and sits about a 1in. lower than stock. But the springs are not your problem. Its the geometery of the rearend itself, meaning lower control arm geometery.
What I did that solved the problem is put chassis engineering lower control arms on, which are identical to the SSM and a little bit cheaper, and problem solved. It changes the center of gravity under a launch/load condition and thats why it fixes it. Hope this get you in the right direction.
fred50stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
Extremestang

Sky,

Sorry i didnt get back with you when i was supposed to. There were a few changes and gripes on my end and a swap of chargers. You can imagine i was not happy about this. The procharger required me to disconnect the abs on the car. Meaning it wouldnt fit where it was supposed to go. They could have custom fit the charger elsewhere, but that was out of budget. So, i saved some money and lost a few more ponies with the Votech, but am happy with the performance of the car. As you've read, i'm now having problems with the launching. It has real good torque down low, causing the shaft to hit the damn tunnel at the end yoke. Sounds horrible man, like grinding rocks together. So, im going to get an adjustable pinion snubber to correct this and then save up for the upper and lower control arms. As they say, when ya get one thing working right, somethin else has got to mess up.

On another note thou, ive still been looking for that noth that i want. Ive found a few here in North Carolina, but they want way to much.

Thanks guys for your thoughts, i really appreciate it.

Will post later about the parts that came in the mail today!!! wooo hooo, more turning on the car tomarrow!!!

-1998 Ford Contour SVT #1199 of 6535
Bat y-pipe, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS headers, Bat intake tube, DMD, P/S & Alt Underdrives, Pro-M 75 mm MAF, K&N filter, Diablosport "tuned" Chip, Centerforce clutch, B&M short throw shifter and some suspension mods
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=24993
-Former Car: 1995 Ford Mustang
To many mods to list here..lost the car to Hurricane Isabel 9/18/03
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=23621
Extremestang is offline   Reply With Quote