MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default 7 mph gain in the 1/8th....from a cam.

Slid in a cam the other day and went to the track. Ran a tenth quicker, and gained 7 mph. I have some issues coming off the line, but it ran what it ran. Tried to get it on the dyno Sat, but they weren't running it. The cam is a Comp Cams flat tappet .512 lift 280 adv. dur; 230 dur @.050 lift. Pretty nice cam.

Quick question, when building a car for Nitrous, why would you advance the cam 2 degrees? And why would you use such a small cam? The one I pulled out was like a stocker. I mean really small. Side by side, they were exact oppisites. You could have seen the difference between the two.

Anyway, a 7 mph gain should be worth what hp wise?

Gotta run, more sites to see. Later.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Heres what I know. Without searching or reading.

With nos the exhaust side of your head is more important, as is more cam duration. By increasing the timing you delay the exhaust. Exact oppisite of what you want. You can grenade your motor. Alcohol requires about 6-10 degrees more. Nos will create way too much pressure with no where to go.

With nos you would run more duration on the exhaust side. This completely evacuates the cylinder for a better fuel/air mixture. The duration would be more than what you run normally. You actually are still holding open the exhaust valve during the power stroke. While less efficient, the nos makes up for it.

Intake valve size and duration can stay streetable. Too big of a intake valve is not good for performance. Instead of liquid nos, you get more vapor with bigger valves. (more air etc)

Im sure I missed a point or two, but its free advice

Old 07-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

7 mph....gezz. You sure you don't have a LS-1 in there???

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
7 mph....gezz. You sure you don't have a LS-1 in there???
are you turning traitor? sup with that? lmao. , bye
Little, Slow 1, bwahahaha.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Somethings not right, itd be ridiculous to see a 7pmh gain in the 1/4 let alone the 8th.

-Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I don't know what to tell you Sky, it is what it is. I'm sure that there is a little variance there, temperature, traction, and what not, but the car ran what it ran. The previous best mph was 71 and now it's 78. There is a 7 mph difference. The cam is the only variant. If there is a better explaination, I'm all ears.

Later.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 AM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Yea I've got a couple........like the clocks took a dump. Your ET isn't very fast for your mph. I only trap 77mph and I run a half of a second faster.

Did you back this run up with another?

How much did your ET drop when you picked up 7mph?

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I ran a 76mph right after that, but the ET suffered due to a glitch at the line. Notably, the traction loc is going out and the tires weren't completely dry. I had one tire hook and the other slipping. Keep in mind that this is a car that I bought for 500 buck and have only put in a cam, intake, and wheels and tires. ( and over the week end, a T-5, but that's a different story)

It has a 3.08 gear, a SROD tranny, crappy carb, choking heads, not at all the track car I want it to be. Every little gain is going to be annotated and shared. By all means, if something doesn't look right or sound right, throw up the BS flag and ask me some questions about it. I'd like to run it agian this week, but I doubt it will happen. I might be able to run Friday, but we'll see.

Anyway, I have to go to the store, or else be damned(girlfriends are nice), before HER bedtime at ten. I don't follow, but whatever.

Later.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #9
HonestAl
Registered Member

Default I Believe It!

Sometimes if your combo is way off and you make a move in the right direction you will see unusual improvement. I once picked up 10MPH in the 1/4 by putting on an adjustable fuel regulator. Nobody believed me either, but going from 92 MPH to 102MPH (N/A) is something that you notice. My fuel mixture must have been way off to see that kind of difference but it does happen.
HonestAl is offline   Reply With Quote