MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2001, 10:43 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Question brake dust prevention. What to do?

I have the factory turbine wheels on both my 'stangs and was wondering what is the best wheel cleaner for removing brake dust.
I heard those brake dust covers are junk. What can I do to to remove the dust without getting out the wheel cleaner everytime?

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
cRaZe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT:
I have the factory turbine wheels on both my 'stangs and was wondering what is the best wheel cleaner for removing brake dust.
I heard those brake dust covers are junk. What can I do to to remove the dust without getting out the wheel cleaner everytime?

buddy of mine is a professional car detailer and runs his own shop and heres a bit of advice i got from him about wheel cleaning....

when it comes to removing brake dust and etc the BEST way to clean it is a good ole fashioned RAG and water...

reason being is that if improperly used the wheel cleaners can actually corrode your wheel finish....personally ive seen the results of improper use of strong wheel cleaners....its not great...

they were only invented to cater to the lazy people that wash their cars....spray on and hose off? blah!....

cRaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
cleangreenmachine

When I'm washing my car, I usually put a light coat of wax on the wheels (though this may be easier said than done with those turbines). The dust comes off more easily with a hose that way.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 04-09-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I am right with you on cleaning those damn turbines. The problem I have is that when I uses a cleaner that break dust smears and just causes a mess. I just go over mine thoroughly with a DRY cloth to get off 95% of the brake dust. Then use a small amount of simple green and wipe away the rest.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High T
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Just dont use your breaks and you wont have dust! =D No, but seriously. I have 5 star's on my car and I have break dust sheilds on the front. They are metal and when u put them on right they work like a charm. I only have problems when I bring my car somewhere and they take the wheels off and dont put the sheilds on right. You have to take them off and bend them, but its easy and well worth it. The wheels NEVER get dirty in the front.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote