MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-17-2001, 10:28 PM   #1
Steph
Registered Member

Question Advice needed for a futur Mustang owner

Hey guys,I previously owned a Corrado VR6 a few years ago. Loved the power and handling.
Car got stolen and now that I few years past, I'm in the market for another car. I want a Mustang GT between 88-92.
I enjoy a car that has alot of power but can also hold corners. Is the Mustang's handling any good ? If not, can it be easily modified
to do so ?

On another note, I told myself that if I did buy this car, I would modify and fix what I can myself instead of taking it to a Speed shop.
The issue with that is I've never really worked on cars myself so I'm missing alot of know-how and experience when it comes to car mechanics. Can anyone suggest me what I should do so I can actually learn to work on my own car ? ( Books, courses ... ).

I appreciate any help and/or advice you guys can give me.

Thanks,

Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:23 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Smile

well steph, i dont know much about the year cars you are talking about, i do know my 00gt handles corner's like a freaking dream, that's how i get an advantage over most of my races, but the newer stang's handle pretty well , i was used to my 69 ,it sceamed but liked to dance back and forth, just test drive the year you want & decide , good luck.

------------------
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:04 AM   #3
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

The 88-93 'Stangs were ok in the handling department. With a set of sub-frame connectors they were freakin' awesome. If you do get a 'Stang, I'm sure that the members of this site can, and will help you out as much as we can. Even if you don't get one, we will still help out.

Personal opinions aside, there is alot of knowlege around here. Guys like UNIT, Mercury, Capri306, and the like are very knowlegeable, and willing to help out a fellow member.

I hope you get a car that pleases you, and that you enjoy working on it. Take care. Later.

[This message has been edited by bigwhitecobra (edited 10-18-2001).]
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 01:27 PM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Steph Welcome to the Board!

A few thoughts from me:

1) The years that you are looking at have less than spectacular braking capabilities;

2) Power is definately there - plenty of torque ~300 from the factory. And, increasing HP and TQ is a fairly easy thing to do on these cars. They respond very well to modifications.

3) Handling is average - again though, modifications are easy with Steeda, Kenny Brown, etc. all having great suspension packages that you can purchase that will make the big $$$ sports cars look down right silly;

4) Working on a 5.0 Mustang is very easy. I knew nothing about cars before purchasing my Mustang. But, in the past six years I have done head swaps, tranny installs, put in a new clutch, exhaust work, engine work, etc.;

5) As for learning all of this, well the best way is to frequent this Board, read 5.0 and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords (two popular Mustang magazinges), and to work on your own Stang.

Good luck with your decision, and again, welcome!

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 01:57 PM   #5
TXinPA
Registered Member

Here are the ways I learned to work on cars:

1. Read tons of magazines and books.
2. Observe what others have done to their cars. Sometimes this is a lesson on what not to do!
3. Ask lots of questions to people here, at shops, etc.

I have an 88 coupe I am about to put a sway baar and shocks on . I'll let you know how much of a difference there is.

TX
TXinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 06:12 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I don't think a Mustang GT would have much of a problem hanging with a Corrado in the twisties.

If you learn to drive it, you can push it well beyond what most people are willing to try. Doubling the posted corner speed is usually within it's capabilities (I don't recommend pushing it if you aren't familiar with it for sure). Handling packages are all over the place for the Fox Mustangs, so if you want a real corner carver, it's not that hard to get it. The engine is easily modded and you can pull lots of power out of them too.

You should be able to find an answer to about any question you have on this site.

Good luck!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
Steph
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm currently reading every article I can get my hands on and checking the message boards.

Hope to be test driving one soon.

Steph

[This message has been edited by Steph (edited 10-18-2001).]
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 09:07 AM   #8
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

agree with unit 5302....foxes are great on windy bumpy roads but there not as forgiving as the newer cars.......takes a little getting used to the balance of them ....with a little time in one they can hang with any car out there.....it took me a while to get to where i am in mine ....but i'm used to it enough that i can make just about any import driver squeemish......funny thing ...just last night i came acrossed a camaro driver that i heard talking smack about mustangs.....well i followed him and started playing with him .....he choose to try to loose me on a windy road......boy did i make him look bad....he he

also fox mustangs are easy to work on and easy to make as fast as you want it.....one of the reasons i like foxes because they are so easy to fix and to work on.....best way to learn (as with anything)is to read ,ask questions ,and get the experience....thats how i learned what i know bout cars

------------------
i'm really a not so old guy with 87 gt.......87gt,T top -169,000 on odometer-14.7 qt.m/80 capri(future project)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 11:21 PM   #9
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I can't add much to what has already been said, but, with the aftermarket market for the 5 liter engine and the Fox Mustang, these cars can do basically anything you want them to.
Just make sure to do some research on the path you want the car to take as far as modifications go. Planning out your modifications in "stages" can eliminate future frustrations. Good Luck in your search! You may want to also use the search function on this site to look up posts addressing what to look for and stay away from in buying used Mustangs.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote