MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Vip18971
Registered Member

Default Porting stock heads

I came across the idea of porting the stock Iron heads on my 89 302 motor. I like it, because its cheap (it'll be a homemade port job, I know someone who'se really skilled with a dremel) which saves me money towards my 351 engine.

Anyone ever tried this, know anything of the potental, how effective it is, and how exact the ports have to be to prevent the car from running like crap? I guess there's some sorts of sheets that you put on the intake and exhaust ports which you can use as templates for the port job, but I'm more worried about all the runners inside that will be ported, I don't know of a way to keep them in line with eachother.
Vip18971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
StockRustang
Registered Member

Default Re: Porting stock heads

does he have a flowbench??

i dont know i dont think its gonna make much of a difference without having them flowed and what not. a dremel is nice for gasket matching, but i wouldnt recomend going that route with cylinder head porting personally, but thats just me.
85 GT-currently: 8.8 with 4.10 and richmond spool, 31spline strange axles, Ties, GMS rear controll arms, stock rear springs, 50/50's, 90/10's up front with 4cyl springs, PA K-member and A-arms, and a motor i still cant decide what to do with.
StockRustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

I Have A Set Of D80e Heads That I Hand Ported Heres Some Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 627937_25_full.jpg (42.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 627937_26_full.jpg (61.7 KB, 45 views)
83GTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Vip18971
Registered Member

Wow, looks much messier than stock...Hmm...so a flow bench would be very important in this project? Nope, don't have one of those...was just going to carve out the runners with a dremel and see how close it could be matched.

Hmm, well that sucks, you don't think I'll see much gains from it? Guess I should just fork out 1300 for some Victor Jrs. and swap them over to my 351 with professional porting when I'm done?

Sucks, I was looking forward to asking people to run a stock Mustang with spray and dusting the heck outta them
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Absolutely nothing wrong with ported stock heads. Id just take them to a shop to have it done. Best thing is it don't cost alot and its improves flow drastically.

As stated above, without a flow bench your kinda blind. It is very easy to really screw up a head.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

Im Sorry My Heads Arent Pretty Enough For You But It Way Better Than Stock,............he Asked About Porting Stock Heads Not No Vic's Thank You Very Much ,............and For The Record Those Pics Were Half Done Any Way And I No That They Flow Better Than Som Gt 40's With Stock Valves............
Old 05-15-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Get carbide burrs to do most of the port work and sanding rolls to clean up. The carbide burrs will eat through the iron very fast. The exhaust is easy, just bolt up and old gasket and match it.

I personally didn't screw with the intake other than just a bit of smoothing since it already is close to matching my GT-40 lower. I had bigger valves put in, so my buddy at the maching shop cut the seats and cleaned up the bowls a bit.

I saved a ton of money and the labor I didn't mind. I don't race, but my cars pulls damn hard all the way to the red line and makes a ton of torque down low!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Vip18971
Registered Member

I'll probably slap a Performer RPM or a Victor Junior intake on it, but it seems as if the flowbench which I do not own is pretty important, so I might just send them off if nothing else. I was just trying to save a few bucks by doing it homestyle, although I'm sure flow benches would cost more than sending the heads off to have them ported/milled/whatever else needs to be done to them? How exact is exact for the car to run right, anyways? And I'll look into the carbide burrs and sanding rolls, thanks for the info, jrgoffin.

83Mustang, they don't look bad, just messier than stock Although, mine will probably look worse, was just asking about porting those cheap stock iron heads - I'd never home port a set of Vic Jrs. I wouldn't mind having homedone heads that flowed better than GT40s...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip18971
but it seems as if the flowbench which I do not own is pretty important, so I might just send them off if nothing else. I was just trying to save a few bucks by doing it homestyle, although I'm sure flow benches would cost more than sending the heads off to have them ported/milled/whatever else needs to be done to them? How exact is exact for the car to run right
Remember flow isn't everything. Lots of things work together to make a good set of heads. Port velocity, turbulence, flow etc. etc. You aren't going to sit down the first time and get a set of D7e's to perform like a set of AFR 210's ... but it's pretty easy to improve the performance of stock heads ... Just a little short side radius work, some simple bowl and valve guide cleanup, some port matching and you'll usually have a much better performing head.

Lots of info floatin around out there in cyber space, get an old set of heads and try it, you might be the next Joe Mondello ?

Rod

PS: someone posted (on this board i think) quite awhile back a link to some info on porting heads using a thread wand ... i've lost that link and i'd sure like to have it back, anyone remember that ?
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
Vip18971
Registered Member

I'll have to look into the details of porting heads then, I always thought it was as simple as, 'shave away some iron, and you're good' but it seems that there's much more to it.

Is it possible to make a homemade flow bench? I've had several ideas that reached so far even as to use those little things hospitals give you to test your lung capacity to monitor flow. Obviously, I don't have the money to buy one done right, but I was wondering if theres any way to make one equally as gitter'dun as my heads will be? It doesn't need to be PERFECTLY exact on a set of stock heads for the car to run well, does it?

Oh, and I also want to let ya guys know that I really appriciate all the help I've recieved here. Very nice to be able to ask these questions to such a large audience of experienced people. Thumbs up to ya'll and the site.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

It Depends On What What Your Trying To Do With Them,..... Most Heads That People Use Aint Flow Tested Anyway They Just Want A Little More Power Out Of Them. And If People Want 400-600 Hp They Would Not Waste Time Getting Stock Heads Ported, Shave, Milled, Bowls Blended, New Valves, New Springs, Ect... All That Money......they Could Have Just Went An Got Some Edel's, Afr's, Holley's, Ect....right.........so Poeple Including My Self Just Want A Little Extra Power Out Of What We Already Got (stock Heads)!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
Vip18971
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GTMUSTANG
It Depends On What What Your Trying To Do With Them,..... Most Heads That People Use Aint Flow Tested Anyway They Just Want A Little More Power Out Of Them. And If People Want 400-600 Hp They Would Not Waste Time Getting Stock Heads Ported, Shave, Milled, Bowls Blended, New Valves, New Springs, Ect... All That Money......they Could Have Just Went An Got Some Edel's, Afr's, Holley's, Ect....right.........so Poeple Including My Self Just Want A Little Extra Power Out Of What We Already Got (stock Heads)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats EXACTLY what I want from the 302. I mean a little more power will come form a mild cam (not expensive), an intake (I need a carbed intake anyways), a decent carb (nothing special) and spray (which will be put on the 351 engine anyways. Keeping costs down and I should make a decent amount of power with that setup, eh?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:21 AM   #13
rwhite65
Ride Hard

a flow bench would be ideal, but really is not needed here. Kinda kills the whole fun of doing it old school style anyhow. But what I would recommend, is finding a friend whom you can trust has been around this block a few times. That way he (or she) can show you a few tricks here or there. You can use a guage, kinda looks like an adjustable T, and use it to check the dimensions of your ports to see how close you are keeping them.

I ported mine also, although the engine is not installed yet, but I can't wait!!
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
Vip18971
Registered Member

Hmm...a simple adjustable T-shaped gauge. Sounds so simple I couldn't screw it up TOO badly..and if I do...hell, the'r estock 302 heads, I could probably get people to pay me to pick up the old heavy things for them. Any tips or tricks you found while porting yours?

And best of luck with them, I'd love to see what kinds of numbers they make if it ever becomes public knowledge.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Porting stock heads is a waste of time if you do it yourself and a waste of money if you get someone else to do it.

You can find GT40 heads for 200-250 bux if you look around. There are several sets of aluminum heads that I have seen go for 4-500 bux here lately.

I had 700 bux worth of porting/polishing/milling/blending/valve springs/valve job in my stock heads.

I went with my Canfields that I bought used for 600 bux and ran about 8 tenths faster with 6 more mph.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
jrgoffin
Registered Member

"FordMuscle", here's a good article on head porting:

http://fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/...ng/index.shtml

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time at all. I agree that you can get Gt-40's cheap, but for the DIY types, it doesn't take much to get a ported set of stock heads flow even better. For a pure street car, why spend the big bucks!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #17
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I agree that it is probably a waste of money to pay someone to port stockers, but if you have the time to waste....I think it is well worth the while.

A set of aluminum heads for 400-500. Send those my way!!
Ryan

Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65
I agree that it is probably a waste of money to pay someone to port stockers, but if you have the time to waste....I think it is well worth the while.

Ryan
http://www.anythingcars.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=25625

you snooze you lose.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65

Ryan

http://www.anythingcars.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=24557

This guy sold his stage 3 ported GT40 heads for 300 bux.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #20
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Good to know they are out there, not so good at finding them though
Ryan