MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Unhappy Trailblazer anyone?

Hey everyone, My mom picked up a 2002 Trailblazer (sweeeet ride) in Nov. or Dec. anyways, I heard that there was a problem with the suspension? I actually have no idea. But I saw the article in a paper. I don't know what it was. if anyone knows speak up! i'm just a little bit curious.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:08 AM   #2
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

I like the chebby trail blazers

i ahve always liked the chevy suv's better tehn the fords. We were gonig to get a yukon but my dad decided on his 2001 dodge ram offroad.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy TrailBlazer troubles

News Item

Last April GM recalled the 2001 Chevy Trailblazer SUVs (soon after they went on sale) and ordered the 6,000 owners to stop driving the vehicles immediately until it fixed a faulty suspension part. GM temporarily halted production of the vehicles until it fixed a component in the lower control arm of the front suspension, which could cause the vehicle to go out of control if it failed.

Your Mom's TrailBlazer should be fine, but....

Then there was this recall...

General Motors is recalling over 86,000 new sport-utility vehicles due to fears the vehicles could shift out of park and roll.

Most of the vehicles affected by the recall (announced on Nov. 9, 2001)were sold in the United States. The recall covers 52,338 Chevrolet TrailBlazers and 25, 666 GMC Envoys sold in the U.S. Approximately 4,600 of the SUVs were sold in Canada.

I would contact the selling Chevy dealer and verify that this problem has been addressed and there is no danger of the part failing on your TrailBlazer.

Love that GM quality.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Default thanx

Thank you muchooo !!!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:26 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

GM was so terrified about the possibility of the suspension falling out and lawsuits they found any possible way to contact people who bought it, told them not to drive the trucks, and ordered flatbeds out to pick up all the Trailblazers.

That my friends, is really bad.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Talking

Got M echanic C oming nuff said!

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:18 AM   #7
PKRWUD

I still don't understand why they "retired" the Blazer, only to introduce the exact same truck the following year with the name TrailBlazer. I guess they figure Chevy folks weren't bright enough to figure that one out?

Disclaimer:
Sorry, I don't usually flame Chevy owners, but this one defies explanation, and the flame felt fitting.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:26 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Talking

you flame everyone hahahaha just joking

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:57 AM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: TrailBlazer troubles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
News Item

Last April GM recalled the 2001 Chevy Trailblazer SUVs (soon after they went on sale) and ordered the 6,000 owners to stop driving the vehicles immediately until it fixed a faulty suspension part. GM temporarily halted production of the vehicles until it fixed a component in the lower control arm of the front suspension, which could cause the vehicle to go out of control if it failed.

Your Mom's TrailBlazer should be fine, but....

Then there was this recall...

General Motors is recalling over 86,000 new sport-utility vehicles due to fears the vehicles could shift out of park and roll.

Most of the vehicles affected by the recall (announced on Nov. 9, 2001)were sold in the United States. The recall covers 52,338 Chevrolet TrailBlazers and 25, 666 GMC Envoys sold in the U.S. Approximately 4,600 of the SUVs were sold in Canada.

I would contact the selling Chevy dealer and verify that this problem has been addressed and there is no danger of the part failing on your TrailBlazer.

Love that GM quality.
At least they fixed it instead of sayimg Oh well A la Ford....Sad but true
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:22 AM   #10
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: TrailBlazer troubles

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0

At least they fixed it instead of sayimg Oh well A la Ford....Sad but true
I was gonig to say the exact same thing. If there is a design flaw i want it fixed if i own that vehicle. I don't want it covered up to the point where i am in danger.
*cough Fireston Cough*
we had those firestone tires on our explorer and had to change them before the recall cause they seperated
Old 02-18-2002, 01:43 AM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yeah, cause you know how easy it is to cover up the front suspension falling out of the truck on the road. Did they not have a very similar problem with the Cavalier when it was updated last? The entire front end could fall off.

GM didn't cover up the exploding gas tanks in their trucks at all either. How about the piston slap issue with the 2.8L/3.1L cars? Dexcool causing water pump failures?

Get a clue. GM builds ****, the public knows it, and that's why they are losing market share, badly. Ford hasn't done much better lately, but GM's no saint.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:00 AM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I recently seen a chart that said GM was #1 in world wide sales with ford in 2nd.

Ford also had a gas tank issue that they new about way early in the game and decided to just let it slide.

My dad buys a new truck every two years. He puts about 130,000 miles on the truck in that two year period. He has never had one of his Gm trucks in the shop in the 26 years hes been buying them for mechanical failure.

The guy that coowns the company with my dad just bought a new ford he switches trucks every 2 years as well. He didnt even have 400 miles on it yet and something went wrong in the rear end and a hole got knocked in the case.

My sisters V6 95 stang has had more mechanical problems than I care to type about mainly in the heads they have went out twice and the ford house said the heads on that year got recalled. The first set was free cause of the recall the second set of heads was $1600.00 with labor.

Not cool my point is I have seen **** on both the GM and Ford side.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:20 AM   #13
PKRWUD

Easy, turbo!

Every manufacturer has skeletons in their closets. I try to be impartial, which is fairly easy since I see great vehicles made by every manufacturer. The new F-150's have had some issues with their mod engines, but yours is the first problem I have heard about with their rear ends. They are twice as strong as the GM rears, but are huge and inefficient. Ford makes the best trucks, though, hands down. Your father is fortunate, but I know his luck would not be the same if he kept them longer. GM hasn't built a "quality" truck since they did away with the 454. Their trim pieces crack, chip and fall off before 50k miles, and the interior rattles are very unnerving. I was determined to buy a Chevy when I bought my truck 7 years ago, but I am extremely pleased that I bought an F-150 instead. Trucks should last longer than 2 years.

As for sales, I'll draw you a chart that says whatever you like. GM by itself includes Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Saturn, Holden, Opel, Isuzu, Suzuki, Hyundai, and a controlling intrest in Toyota, just to name a few. They should have the most sales in the world. They own the most name brands. The fact is though, they don't. Ford, including Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Mazda, and a few others, does record more more vehicle sales worldwide. There are so many different lists, though, that just about anybody could make a claim of "the worlds most popular or number one selling ... (passenger car with 4 doors and a hatch, or 3 cylinder engine passenger cars, etc., etc.)". Charts and the facts that support them are easily manipulated. Be careful how much credence you give them.

Bottom line, you are correct in saying that everyone makes junk, but everyone also makes great products, believe it or not.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-18-2002, 11:52 AM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Lol, the trucks would last longer than two years he just likes staying updated.

I own a 00' GMC truck and it is nice and has no quality issues and smokes every ford truck but the lightning. Trust me its a quality truck. Where I work the work trucks are fords and they are in the shop all the time especially the 96 1 ton with a 460 i it.

I like ford cars but when it comes to trucks GM is the only ticket

IMO.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:58 AM   #15
PKRWUD

Believe it or not, I'm really glad that your truck is treating you so well!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:42 PM   #16
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
I still don't understand why they "retired" the Blazer, only to introduce the exact same truck the following year with the name TrailBlazer. I guess they figure Chevy folks weren't bright enough to figure that one out?
I thought the TrailBlazer was all new - from the chassis to the engine (I6 - 270HP)?

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:52 PM   #17
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric

I thought the TrailBlazer was all new - from the chassis to the engine (I6 - 270HP)?

E
It is....
Old 02-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #18
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I like the new trailblazer especially the blue ones. I have this thing for blue, I dont know
And I hate to admit it but I think I would buy a trailblazer before an explorer. The only thing I dont like about the TB is the lack of a V-8.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:32 PM   #19
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric

E
perhaps I should have been more specific. The decision on the name was made well after the design was approved. It was marketed originally as the new Blazer. Someone decided they would pretend it was a new vehicle offering from Chevrolet, rather than an old one that was redesigned. It would have been the same thing if they had announced in 1981 that they were retiring the Camaro, and in 1982, the F-body would be called the Trail Camaro. I think changing a vehicles name and identity when there is a new model is treating the customers like a bunch of brainless sheep. That's just me, though. Chevy isn't the only company to do it, either, but this thread was about the Trail Blazer.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #20
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

perhaps I should have been more specific. The decision on the name was made well after the design was approved. It was marketed originally as the new Blazer. Someone decided they would pretend it was a new vehicle offering from Chevrolet, rather than an old one that was redesigned. It would have been the same thing if they had announced in 1981 that they were retiring the Camaro, and in 1982, the F-body would be called the Trail Camaro. I think changing a vehicles name and identity when there is a new model is treating the customers like a bunch of brainless sheep. That's just me, though. Chevy isn't the only company to do it, either, but this thread was about the Trail Blazer.

Take care,
-Chris
actually i view the name change differantly. it's not treating the customers like "brainless sheep". maybe they wanted to get away from any association people would have made with the previous blazers. it is an all new suv after all, larger, differant engine... my other take on that was gm also wanted to take it slighlty upscale too. the trailblazer name originated on the old style blazer as a highend option package.
ford did the same thing when they came out with the explorer, was it not a replacement for the older bronco II? why not just call it a broncoII?
technically the blazer should never have had that name since it belonged to the full size 2 door version of the sub long before gm let it go on s series blazers. that was geneious let's sell 2 trucks with the same name for a while. to this day when i tell people dropping me off at my truck "it's the blazer up ahead" they still pass it because they are looking for the little trucks.