MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Default mustangbelle306 motorcycle ?

a guy at work has a honda 600 cbr, but he stuffed a 1000cc engine in it & it's built also he used to run ama, well he wanted to drag race me in my stock 00gt, all i have is a k& n air filter, the huge racing one, in the quarter he only beat me by about 6 car length's, i thought he would pull way more than that, his excuse was the front tire started floating up & down, well i can buy that, what do you think?

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well, I think it comes down to his ability as a rider. A 600 SS is usually capable (with an EXCELLENT rider i.e. magazine rider) of high 10s.

A Honda liter bike (actually the Honda inlines are 919cc, 929cc and 954cc) should be capable of low 10s at least, especially if he's claiming its worked.

Also, the weight factor: In 2002, the dry weight of the F4i and the 954RR are the EXACT SAME: weighing in at 370 lbs dry...

Here are some cold hard figures from MotorCyclist:

Honda CBR600F4i: 10.71@126.7 mph
Kawasaki ZX6r: 10.92@124.4 mph
Suzuki GSXR600: 10.69@126.6 mph
Yammy R6: 10.75@126.6 mph

Honda CBR954RR: 10.2@139 mph
Kawasaki ZX9r: 10.16@138.28 mph
Gixxer 1000: 9.89@145.35 mph
Yammy R1: 10.07@142.13 mph

The excuse of the wheels floating is somewhat acceptable if he means wheelieing at the line, but then he should know enough about his bike that he wouldn't be setting up races without equipping the scoot specifically for drag racing. If he means the wheels are floating down the track, the 600 actually has a longer wheelbase than a liter bike, allowing less chance for a tankslapper.

Ask 1fastchick, last time I heard, she was running at least low 11s with a STOCK Yammy R6...Since your GT is not heavily modified, I'm guessing that you should be running high 13s correct? Then he should have been way ahead of you! Get that boy to an advanced MSF course

BTW: I'm totally flattered that you asked me There are several other peeps on the boards that are WAY more knowledgable than I, and I hope they come forward in case I missed something!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:29 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

well i knew you have a fast bike, but this boy's bike is b.a. i mean a 600 cbr with a 1000 built cbr engine stuffed into it, jeez his fairings barely fit , my stang is slow, it's a better top end machine, i think his bike was too fast and was floating, so he may have gottten out of it, i knew i wasnt going to beat him. but hey he wanted to run so i just did it for the heck of it, thank's i just hope i dont hear about him crashing & burning, his scoot is mean, see ya . marty.

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-02-2002, 12:30 AM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Hey, sorry to throw a question of out no where. Well it's regarding this topic, but do you know what the Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 runs for 1/4 mile. I found out last week my g/f's uncle races bikes (I couldn't believe she never told me!) Anyway, Kawasaki gave him that bike to drive around and promote for the weekend and then to use it in the race, but he hurt his hand so he couldn't race but they let him keep the bike for the weekend. He said he could be going down the highway shift gears, give it abit of gas and pop a wheelie no problem. I don't know how true, but it's got 1164CC so that is alot of power.

Anyway, I was just curious.
Thanks,
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sounds like my friend's dragbike.

CBR 600F2. CBR 900RR engine. 997 big bore kit. Cams, ported, polished, decked, backcut tranny, etc etc etc. The chassis had to be cut and welded to get that 900RR engine in there. Hehe, but all the stock 600F2 plastic does fit.

That engine put down 147rwhp in a 900RR chassis, with the factory 900RR airbox, OEM type filter, pipe, and no tuning. He's got a set of filters, removed box, race pipe, and a set of high performance carbs on the thing now. With some tuning he feels there will be no problem dynoing it out to 160+rwhp.

With the wheelie bar he expects it to be able to run well into the 9's.

I'd definately chock this race up to the rider not being able to ride. His "floating" was probably from a mal-adjusted suspension, and his own personal belief that fork travel equals lifting the front wheel. LOL.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:30 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Red face

I got into my first highway race against a ZX-7R last weekend, and the wind was blowing at us, which made my front wheel come up just enough to start it wobbling whenever I was in my powerband. (9,000-12,000 rpms) It was quite exciting, but scary to have the front wheel come up at 130-150 mph!!!!!!!!! All I had to do was crouch over and push down on the front more to keep it down! We're not talking big wheelies here, just the wheel coming up about 3-4 inches!
I know.. off topic, but it was fun!
Old 06-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i guess i should have explained a little more this guy races oavals like daytona etc , but in a drag race he still should have pulled more on me, or my car is a freak, or just crazy like me, heheh

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-02-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314
I got into my first highway race against a ZX-7R last weekend, and the wind was blowing at us, which made my front wheel come up just enough to start it wobbling whenever I was in my powerband. (9,000-12,000 rpms) It was quite exciting, but scary to have the front wheel come up at 130-150 mph!!!!!!!!! All I had to do was crouch over and push down on the front more to keep it down! We're not talking big wheelies here, just the wheel coming up about 3-4 inches!
I know.. off topic, but it was fun!

Have you swapped out either the front or rear sprocket on that bad boy? I've had the 929 come up on me at high speeds, but Belle's ZX-6R stays planted above 80 or 90 no matter how far you open the throttle. Also, if you are concerned about head shake or tankslapping, I'd highly recommend a Scott's Damper (if you don't already have one). It doesn't kill off all headshake, but significantly helps in potentially violent tankslapping situations.

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 12:22 AM   #9
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by 929PhoenixSquid

Have you swapped out either the front or rear sprocket on that bad boy? I've had the 929 come up on me at high speeds, but Belle's ZX-6R stays planted above 80 or 90 no matter how far you open the throttle. Also, if you are concerned about head shake or tankslapping, I'd highly recommend a Scott's Damper (if you don't already have one). It doesn't kill off all headshake, but significantly helps in potentially violent tankslapping situations.
Nope, this is the first time the wheel has come up on me at those speeds, I'll thank a near empty gas tank, and I'm guessing the wind?? Strange to me too, but the front was definitely coming up. I'll have to go out and try to recreate that on a calm day... Who knows!!!
I recently put the stock rear sprocket back on, I was using a friends sprocket while he was painting his bike, to help at the track. So this happened with a stock sprocket.

Btw, I do need a damper, I don't like coming down from wheelies and getting the shake, hopefully that will help calm it down some!!!
Old 06-03-2002, 12:36 AM   #10
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

joe just a question, the same guy i was talking about said ninjas where pus--y bikes , now dont flame me, i have no idea, i used to have a harley& all i did was cruise & be loud as he-- shorty drag pipes heheh, i am too old to go that fast on a bike anymore, just a dumd question? see ya

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-03-2002, 12:38 AM   #11
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314

Btw, I do need a damper, I don't like coming down from wheelies and getting the shake, hopefully that will help calm it down some!!!

Oh, definately..... The damper also helps with turns. You'll feel the bike feel like it's 50-100 lbs heavier (ie..more stable) thru every turn. You'll almost swear you could let go of the bars and let the bike take the turn by itself

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 01:06 AM   #12
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

joe just a question, the same guy i was talking about said ninjas where pus--y bikes , now dont flame me, i have no idea, i used to have a harley& all i did was cruise & be loud as he-- shorty drag pipes heheh, i am too old to go that fast on a bike anymore, just a dumd question? see ya i dont know how this posted in here twice, weird

R H C- member # 1

Last edited by Crazy Horse GT; 06-03-2002 at 11:40 AM..
Old 06-03-2002, 01:46 AM   #13
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
joe just a question, the same guy i was talking about said ninjas where pus--y bikes , now dont flame me, i have no idea, i used to have a harley& all i did was cruise & be loud as he-- shorty drag pipes heheh, i am too old to go that fast on a bike anymore, just a dumd question? see ya

LOL, oh Lord, are you sure you haven't been talking to 1fastchick???

I would hardly call them pussy bikes. The are so close to the bikes in their class that, you'd be hard pressed to tell much of a difference while riding. Unless you can tell a few tenths of a second off from the other bikes(with a couple exceptions)!!! I agree that Kawi needs to step up to the plate, and get cookin. And believe it or not, I will not be going green when I upgrade, I will be getting a GSXR1000 or an R-1. Kawi is slacking in that department, but by NO means are they Pussy bikes!!
Old 06-03-2002, 02:11 AM   #14
1965GTO
Registered Member

The Kawasaki ZX-12R has 162hp and ran a 9.96 at 142mph for motorcyclist magazine the #1 hp and et as of march 2002. I don't call that slacking.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:31 AM   #15
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by 1965GTO
The Kawasaki ZX-12R has 162hp and ran a 9.96 at 142mph for motorcyclist magazine the #1 hp and et as of march 2002. I don't call that slacking.
No slacking there at all.. I just wish they'd get on it with the 600's and up the 900 to a 1000.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:46 PM   #16
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Ugh the ragging on Kawasaki is getting pretty old, and really childish.

The funniest ones are the people that repeat the 'Kawasucki" line that they heard from someone else, especially when they haven't even sat on a Ninja! Then they shut up real quick when you point out the 1/4 mile times that are right next to the other 600cc bikes, winning championships, favorable mag reviews, etc. The ZX6r might not be the fastest in the 1/4 mile, but it has a WIDE powerband that is AWESOME for street use, and its comfy and forgiving!

Most people that rag on Kawi are posers that heard it was cool to do so...I'd guess that most of the haters have not even taken one for a ride. Of course there are going to be people that don't like the Kawis period, and that's cool, as long as they give it a chance!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #17
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I pretty much know nothing about bikes, but I like the look of the Kawasaki's, I think they look pretty sleek and as for performance I'm more then impressed. I think I'd have a fear of riding a bike, I'm not that scared of stuff but it just seems to easy to fall off but I'm sure I'd try it and relise it isn't that bad.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:54 PM   #18
1fastchick
Registered Member

Quote:
Ugh the ragging on Kawasaki is getting pretty old, and really childish.

The funniest ones are the people that repeat the 'Kawasucki" line that they heard from someone else, especially when they haven't even sat on a Ninja! Then they shut up real quick when you point out the 1/4 mile times that are right next to the other 600cc bikes, winning championships, favorable mag reviews, etc. The ZX6r might not be the fastest in the 1/4 mile, but it has a WIDE powerband that is AWESOME for street use, and its comfy and forgiving!

Most people that rag on Kawi are posers that heard it was cool to do so...I'd guess that most of the haters have not even taken one for a ride. Of course there are going to be people that don't like the Kawis period, and that's cool, as long as they give it a chance!
Okay Okay #1 who cares about 1/4 times of someone else if you aren't running it yourself doesn't me jack.

Posers run in EVERY group it is getting very old and childish to hear people B1tch and moan when their bikes get ragged on yet they rag on others. We all ride for the love of the sport.
Personallly I feel in every way I have a right to rag on the zx6r cause I have on in the garage. It turns like crap, feels outdated, and like a damn boat. But if I was going on a long hwy trip I would take it over the R6 anyday. Or if I was building a straight out dragbike.

Personally I really don't care to much about what the magizines say nor what other people think. I ride what I like and I have ridden other 600's to 12s some I liked (hondas) some I hated (kawi's) You should form your opinion on what bikes you like by actually having riding experience on them than just bashing another brand when you have only ridden maybe one bike.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:56 PM   #19
1fastchick
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL, oh Lord, are you sure you haven't been talking to 1fastchick???
an you can refer to my above post also I have plently of seat time on the 12r and the 6r to form my opinion on those Bikes. I'm not like the typical ignorant biker out there who just talkins crap about bikes they have never ridden.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"

Last edited by 1fastchick; 06-03-2002 at 11:13 PM..
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:33 PM   #20
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by 1fastchick

an you can refer to my above post also I have plently of seat time on the 12r and the 6r to form my opinion on those Bikes. I'm not like the typical ignorant biker out there who just talkins crap about bikes they have never ridden.
Wow... it was a joke but you took that way too seriously.
LOL
I guarantee that if I bashed th R-6 as much as you bash Kawi's, you'd be over it too. I'm always surprised when you DON'T bash the Kawi, cuz that's all you do! If you don't like it, maybe someone else does!!! Don't say anything. I think R-1's are awesome and R-6's are ok, but I wouldn't want one... yes I've ridden both, and they're both beautiful, but didn't like the R-6 at all... slow, and uncomfortable compared to my 6R. Buuuut you NEVER hear me bashing anyones ride until now. Ever. So before you reply mad at me, think about it. Have you ever heard me bash Yamaha? Nope.

You like what you ride, I like what I ride... we allllll know you hate Kawis, but are usually reminded of that fact every time a post about sportbikes come up. I was sooooo happy when you refrained this time! I could hardly believe it.

I do apologize for the flame, but It's bugged me for a while, and I always ignore it!