MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2002, 06:41 PM   #1
PKRWUD

Default Life Really Sucks Sometimes.

Life really sucks sometimes. As you all know, I am a cat person. I live alone in a 3 story condo, with 7 cats. Now, I didn't just wake up one day and say to myself, "I want to have 7 cats!". It was a little more complex than that. It all started with Charlie, a kitten I rescued from neighborhood bullies when I lived in N.J. in the 1970's. She lived to be 14, but when she died, in 1988, I was devastated. I ended up going to the pound and rescuing two kittens that were scheduled to be put to sleep that day. They are named Randy Rhoads, and Rudy Sarzo.

About 7 years ago, my girlfriend at the time lived in a house at which the neighborhood strays would come and hang out. As a result, they had a new litter of kittens 3 or 4 times a year. They usually had no trouble giving them away, but when they did, I stepped in. The first such cat is the one I now call Oscar. He just wasn't very friendly, and so nobody wanted him. He had ringworm, too, but I knew that was a passing stage. We buddied up well, and he became as friendly as any other cat, he just needed a little attention. A few months ago, he was losing weight, and didn't look too good, so we went to the Vet. To my surprise, Oscar had become a diabetic cat. I now give him insulin injections twice daily.

The second and third cats (Barney & Teaka) to come from my ex's house were healthy, and would have been snatched up quickly, but I just loved them, so I kept them. This was about a year after Oscar.

Then there was Gar. He had an eye infection when he was born, and one of his eyes became swollen, and literally popped. They were going to have him put down because no one was going to want a one eyed cat, but he was sooo cool, I couldn't let that happen. So, about a year after adopting Barney and Teaka, Gar became cat number 6.

The last one, Spaz, was abandond by her mother at only one day old. I raised her from that point on. I had to alter my work schedule just so that I could be home every 2 hours to bottle feed her. That whole time was a real experience.

Anyway, Randy and Rudy will both be 14 this August. Unfortunately, Rudy isn't going to make it. She has been developing a really bad cough for a year now, and I've tried everything. I've spent close to $1000 over 12 months just in Vet visits, tests and meds. It's only been recently that she has started to really look and sound like she might be suffering, and I don't want that. She has her good days and her bad ones, but it's just not realistic to think she's gonna pull out of it.

I have come to the decision that I am going to have to put her down, in the near future. This is not something I have done before, and since Rudy is probably my favorite, this is going to be tough. I know this is something people do every day, I'm just not quite ready for it. The idea of holding her in my arms and watching her die just doesn't do alot for me. I didn't really mean to take up anyones time with this, I just needed to write it down to see if it made things any easier, and it has, a little bit. Thanks.

This is a picture of Rudy that was taken right after I got her, in the fall of 1988:

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

I totally understand what you're going thru. I had a cat that lived to be almost 18 years old. I was like 3 or 4 when we got him. SO I basically grew up with the little guy. He seemed to be pretty strong when I left for college, but halfway through my college career, he became very weak and eventually, had to be put down. I thought it wouldn't be all that hard, but I couldn't even drive home for at least an hour because of the tears in my eyes. You develop almost human relationships with animals. Sorry to hear about your situation.

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

It's always tough when you finaly realize that it's time that you have to put down a pet. I had 2 ferrets and i got them even knowing that there life span was only 5-8 years and just enjoyed them in the time i had them. they become like kid you never had and you treat them like they are kids. i used to call home on my breaks to check on my mother and would always ask about the
" boys"
I wish i could have made it in time to the vet to have my ferrets put down rather than die in pain, at least with my one we tried but i guess the vet was too busy to just give a shot and not have him suffer. with my other little guy we never even had any notice anything was wrong till we found him already gone. If she's suffering then putting her down is probly the best thing for her and you. there's only so much that can be done then you have to realize that it's time.

don't ever think your taking anyones time up. we're here to help in any way that we can if possible. you have helped so many and now it's time for you to reach out.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I LOVE cats. My old cat, Tia, lived with us for 12 years. She was already full grown when we got her, so I didnt know how old she really was. She was older than my brother though, so she really felt like a family member. When she died, I almost cried. Almost. I was very sad nonetheless. Good luck with everything, man. Animals are people too, it seems.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:06 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

I had to get rid of my cat when I got married. One cat didnt like the other one...if you know what I mean. It wasnt terribly difficult, as I wasnt terribly attached to this particular cat.

Anyway. just be strong bro, theres nothing else you can do. Death is part of life, and its waiting for all of us eventually. You dont have to hold her in your arms when she dies. Just drop her off and try not to think about it. Holding her when she goes would be too hard.
I had a dog that died in my arms, so I speak from experience.
You dont want to go that route..
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:47 PM   #6
lysacat
Registered Member

Chris,
This is so sad. I have 2 cats and I would have a very hard time letting either of them go, but if the poor baby is hurting it's the kindest thing you could do. I know it would hurt terribly though. Just remember she wouldn't be hurting any longer. Good luck, Melisa
Old 06-03-2002, 10:46 PM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

That's awful, man. My Mom put her cat to sleep not too long ago due to Feline Leukemia. She (Buddy) was suffering and she just wasn't doing too well. She went in and held her while she did it, but felt it was the best because she was really suffering. You know it's the right thing, 14 years is a very long time for a pet. She lived a long happy life with you. I know it will be very hard, but we're behind you.

I have lost a few of my friends over the years, and I still miss 'em! Now I have Foo, and he is my buddy.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:47 PM   #8
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

I feel for you, Chris. I had a dog I really liked. I shot it in the head with a 9 MM. You've spent a lot of money on that cat. Take it back to the vet and spend $50 more dollars to save yourself a lot of pain. You'll suffer more than the cat will.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:48 PM   #9
347MOM
Registered Member

I understand where you are coming from Crewzin and I had a rott.She was really our first child, she went on our honeymoon with us and everything if we could not go somewhere with her we would not go. This girl was the smartest girl I have ever had, she had her own room and was just the best, I still cry over her and it has been about 5 years now. I will have to post a pic of her later. Well one day we had to go and pick up his dad from a cruise and when we came home we saw some skid marks on the road and say that was not there before and iI went up to the house and saw a freaken note on our front door that said please call the sheriff's department about your animal right then and there I had that gut feeling and I ran and I mean I ran yelling for her but she was no where to be found and this dog would come when I called so I knew there was something wrong when she would not come. Then Paul our neighbor called and told me, the sheriff's wanted to take her away but he told her what she meant to us and they left her for us to bury at home. he saw the whole thing he said the EMS even tried to bring her back after he told them about her. The kids that hit her were drinking and driving and hit her going about 70mph. I tell you one thing God blessed me one thing that she did not have one scratch on her not even blood she just look like she was sleeping like a angel!!! even though she is gone she will never be forgotten, I took her collar off and it is hanging on our bed.

Then a guy from work braught a stray to our house. She was so skinny that you could count every bone in her body and I am not lying about that, so I took her in on New Years day the first thing I thought of when I saw her was a angel so that is what I named her. We tried everything to save her but she had problems that no vet could heal, I was there when we put her down, I want the last thing she saw was me, I kept apologizing to her for letting her down but I know I did all I could, all I know is that she spent the last two weeks of her life in a very loving home instead of on the streets starving to death all alone like she would have, she had a nice place to sleep in the warm house, it was really funny when he picked her up and took her to work for a couple of days she never stood up but when she saw us you could not get her to lay down the guy was freaking because she got so attached to us right away, I even saw her run!!! She even wagged her tail and was looking up, until we found out what diease she had. When she left us she was getting kisses and hugs. She knew she was loved. She was so special that the vet donated his services to us and others a Chevy dealership helped pay for her bill that had to be paid. She touch so many lives, but she also will be not forgotten.

Just look at it this way atleast you gave every one of your cats a loving home!!!!!! Some people would not be so caring as you are. If you have to put the cat down just think of the memories that they have given you. I know that it is hard I have been there, but that is how I got through.

Girls can too's August "Mare of the Month"
347MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:52 PM   #10
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Sorry to hear about the bad news Chris. One of our dogs, that has been in the family since I was about 5 years old, collasped in the backyard a few months ago and just couldn't get up, so he had to be put to sleep. I had to help hold him while they gave him the shot, it was sad, but at the same time I knew he wouldn't be suffering anymore. I don't know if you guys remember, but for Valentines day I bought my girlfriend a little black pug, we named her Enkei. I really, REALLY grew attached to her. She was the sweetest dog, and was really smart. I spoiled her like a child, the company that she provided was priceless. Playful, loving, words just can't describe her. She went everywhere with us, and I mean everywhere. Races, cruising, stores, trips, work, etc... she was an official member of the family. Everyone that met her just feel in love with her. I thought she would be around for a long time, I'd get up everyday and go take her outside on a leash, etc... etc... well one night while I was in class I get a phone call, g/f's histarical, well my g/f's brother(16 years old) took Enkei outside, went back inside, failed to watch her, and came back out and saw that he had left the gate WFO open. Well Enkei was killed by a truck, because of his carelessness. I miss her alot. I'd like another dog, but I just don't think it would be the same.......

Last edited by 1BAD89; 06-03-2002 at 10:59 PM..
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Unhappy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg enkei.jpg (56.6 KB, 24 views)
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:18 PM   #12
1fastchick
Registered Member

When that times come be there when it happens. It helps so my dad told me over and over. I never understood until the day I went through it. It gives them peace I think in a way instead of being scared because of the strange place and people. The worse was watching my horse die and I didn't get the chance to have a vet put her down since nothing was wrong with her.......anyways off topic different story. It sucks alot when it comes time but you don't want her to suffer. If she doesn't go peacefully and you get to the point to taking her my strong suggestion to you is be there in the room holding her if you can.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:22 PM   #13
rbatson

Unhappy

That really does suck, bro. I'm sitting here thinking of some of the animals I've had the pleasure of having. It always helps me to think back on the good times. Look at it this way bro.. atleast Rudy had a good life she wouldn't have otherwise had. Sorry for your loss

I can see both sides of the dropping her off or being there but.. I personally would have to be there to make sure her last moments are those of comfort and security. (Man that sucks!!)
Old 06-03-2002, 11:35 PM   #14
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

man chris that does suck i have been through some great dogs also , i even hav a pet cemetarary in a corner of my yard , favorite blacky, was a stray that was just laying on our porch when we moved in , i shooed him away, but he came back, so i let himstay, well 2 chows attacked him & ripped him up, i doctored him up & he made it , heheh one of the chows didnt, i put 2 357's in his azz, well a year later he got in a fight again, i knew he was hurt but i told lee i would take him to the vet , the next day, well i woke up & he had frozen to death, i felt so bad, he was the first in my cemetary, i finally got a rott, but after lee got the big c, i had to give her away,but lee is more important, because we couldnt have a dog in the house, but my daughter in indy has her, but hang in there bro i know it hurts & sucks but time does make things easier, maybe its better if you drop her off there & drive away, take care, marty.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 01:12 AM   #15
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy HANG IN THERE !! :(

Chris...
Although I have not expierienced losing my dogs yet, I can only imagine(or cant imagine) what this must be like to watch her go thru this! When I first saw her pic. on your website many months ago, i knew she was a special cat... Shes a cutie!!!!

I wish I knew what to say to make this easier for you. But all I can do is give you support and let you know that people care and and will always be there to encourage you when you need it.
I just hope she hangs on till I get there on Friday. I'd really like to meet her! And I want to be able to be there too, if anything happens.....I wish more than anything to be able to spare you of this..but if it does happen, i hope iwill be there for you for support!

Please, keep your chin up, and know that you've helped out sooooo many people over the years...now its YOUR TURN!!!!!!!
Keep the faith(in everything) and know that we are all on your side!

Take Care,
Love ya, Christine

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 01:41 AM   #16
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

Sorry about the decision you have to make, an ex of mine had a 13 year old pitbull that he had since a puppy , my whole family was very attached to him, he was just the best dog....he got really bad cancer and we had to finally put him down, luckily for us we were friends with the vet and he came to our house and gave him a shot while he was being held by us in his own bed....it was probably one of my saddest days......keep your chin up and know that you are only doing what is right for your kitty so she doesn't needlessly suffer....D.

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 05:22 AM   #17
Mustanguy

Default When you love sumthin so much...

Chris

I had a hell of a time holding back tears when I read this post of yours.Pets or anything else in this life that we grow to love is always hard to let go of.Thats why we all should appreciate the time we do have with not only our pets,but also people who are around us in our everyday lives.

Remember this Chris,you may lose a cat that I have no doubt you've loved all thse years that you've had it,but you will Never lose the good times and the memories that you have shared since this cat has come into your life.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:47 AM   #18
PKRWUD

Hey guys, thanks so much for all of your kind words and heartfelt stories. I really can't tell you how much it means. I used to ride with the Hells Angels, but I still get real choked up over losing one of my cats. Funny, the things that can get to a man. You all have shared some very deep and painful stories, and I know you did it to help me feel better, and I do. For that, as well as for the brotherhood that exists on this great website, I thank you.

Christine-
I knew there was a reason I fell in love with you. That was the nicest thing anyone has said to me in years, and I really appreciate it. If it's time, I'll put her down while you're here. The support would be nice to have. I would really hate to have to put you through that though, especially on this trip out here. We'll just have to see how she does. The moment I decide she is suffering is the moment I take her to have her put to sleep. I'm pretty sure it will be within the week, but again, we'll just have to see. In any case, dear, thank you so much for your support.

Thank you all.

Much love,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:02 AM   #19
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Chris, I know what you must be going through. When I was 2 years old my parents got a kitten from a neighbor, and I loved to play with her all the time. We had to have her put to sleep when I was about 15 years old, I had basically known her for my entire life, it was very difficult to see her go. Now (years later), when I think about her, I only remember the fun times, and all the games we would play (mostly the head games she would play on me!). I know it sucks now, but eventually all you will remember will be the good times you had. BOB
R.H.C. #51
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 01:42 PM   #20
fordgasm
Registered Member

I know how you feel....even though I don't have any cats, I do have several dogs and your story reminded me of one of my dogs that truely was my best friend.

Her name was Bailey and she was a springer spaniel, at the time I had a couple of springers that I used for hunting but were also our family pets. Now Bailey was not the best hunter but held her own and after much work she was better than average. But, what she was the best at was being my best friend.

She never cared how you looked, just wanted to be by your side, never cared that you just came in from cutting the grass and were all stinky and dirty, she just wanted to be by your side, even while hunting if I would take a break and sit down on an old dead fall, she just wanted to be by your side, even while my other springer would continue hunting around, Bailey just wanted to be with me. As I sat and watched TV she wanted to sit on your lap and lay her head on your chest, she was truely my best friend.

At about 5 years of age she started having seizures, the vet prescribed some pills that just never did help, the seizures got worse and we kept increasing her dosage, she became lathargic and just wasn't the same dog. The vet thought she may have had a brain tumor since the meds did not seem to help.

So I made the decision to put her down. I made the arrangements with my vet which was located next to a McDonalds. On the day of our appointment Bailey and I went to the drive up and got some of the foods she was never allowed to have. We had ice cream cones, french fries and a cheese burger. We then spent a little time together under this shady oak tree waiting for our appointment. Funny how us big mocha motor head, weight lifting, outdoors tough guys are really just big teddy bears.....as I held Bailey in my arms and felt the life leave her body I wept like a baby. Strange how even today, after several years have passed, I get a lump in my throat just telling you about her.

So Chris, for what is is worth, many of us know how you feel. Just remember, the reason why our pets love us so much, is because they are not here on this earth very long so they make the most of the time they have.