MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up FINALLY! 6-point cage is a part of the Fox!

Man! I'm so happy (look at the smilie face if you don't believe me------>). I finally get to start doing my interior. FINALLY! Gonna start patching any holes in floor (got some real small ones), spray the interior, make a simple and lightweight rear seat delete kit (no wood), and put in the carpet. Hopefully this is done b4 the motor gets dropped in. There are some metal plates that Mustangs Unlimited sell for where the seats bolt to the floor. I bought some and had the welder weld them in b/c the driver seat had broken through at the back left bolt and was really rusted bad and the passenger seat showed signs of going next. They did a REALLY good, professional job.

NOTE TO SELF AND ANYONE ELSE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE
There is a line that separates saving money and getting it done correctly. It is a lesson that I have learned again. First try was with the son of a friend of a friend. He was an intermediate welder and well, even though he tried and did a really good job in some welds (but unacceptable in other places), it would have been better to just take it to the professionals in the first place. I mean, when you have tell the welder (while he's welding in the trunk) "hey, don't you think you should put a fire blanket over the gas tank area and wires b4 you start welding" it's probable that something's ain't quite right. And if you gotta tell him "hey, I need the bar welded all the way around, there can be no gaps or holes in the welds, even if it may be "too hard" for you to reach."

Now there are some things that I'll still do "cheap", but I'll more carefully evaluate my situation next time. Later.....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:19 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

oh hey, I forgot to ask. Since the cage/bar has been welded in, the interior has the scent of welded metal. I'm sure when I paint the cage and the interior (primer and paint), it's gonna smell like welded metal + spray paint. How do I work around this problem? I don't want to drown the interior with Lysol disinfectant, b/c I think that would only make the interior smell like welded metal + spray paint + a hint of "Garden fresh". And I'd rather not have my Corbeau seats smelling like that either.

....maybe this is a question for another forum
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 07-28-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Default Re: FINALLY! 6-point cage is a part of the Fox!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body

NOTE TO SELF AND ANYONE ELSE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE
when you have tell the welder (while he's welding in the trunk) "hey, don't you think you should put a fire blanket over the gas tank area and wires b4 you start welding" it's probable that something's ain't quite right. And if you gotta tell him "hey, I need the bar welded all the way around, there can be no gaps or holes in the welds, even if it may be "too hard" for you to reach."

Now there are some things that I'll still do "cheap", but I'll more carefully evaluate my situation next time. Later.....
lol That is crazy, I would of told him he is done after that one. That wouldn't of been cool at all. And yes I do agree, if your going to do something do it righ the first time. I'm getting my car painted, I'm looking spending like $5000-$6000 on a paint job and fix up some of the body. I don't want anything spared in quality. I'm looking to bring my car upto a car that can win some local shows and such. So it's gotta start off with a nice paint job.

Glad to hear about the roll cage, sounds like a beaut! Make sure to take tons of pics for us to see.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:20 AM   #4
mustanggt350
Registered Member

I have a friend how is looking of a six point rol cage!! Where did you get your? How Much did you spend, if you don't mind me asking? And last but not least what does it look like? He is looking for a 6 point that slides down the side of the seat and does not cross the door. I hope that makes since!! LOL Anyway, I would appreciate any help you can give me on this!!

Shelby

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:59 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
oh hey, I forgot to ask. Since the cage/bar has been welded in, the interior has the scent of welded metal. I'm sure when I paint the cage and the interior (primer and paint), it's gonna smell like welded metal + spray paint. How do I work around this problem? I don't want to drown the interior with Lysol disinfectant, b/c I think that would only make the interior smell like welded metal + spray paint + a hint of "Garden fresh". And I'd rather not have my Corbeau seats smelling like that either.

....maybe this is a question for another forum
This is going to sound off the wall, but it works. It was recommended to me by the instructor of the welding classes at the local cc (welding classes were right behind the engines classI was taking, and he and I talked racing all the time). I did it in the '66. After the cage was finished, I bought some pipe insulation (the foam that keeps you from hurting your head when you hit the bar) and a bottle of Old English Lemon Oil (for wood). Cut and size all of the pieces of padding that you are going to install on the bars, then, just before you install them, apply the lemon oil to a sponge, and go over every inch of the cage that will be padded with it. Be generous. Then, install the pipe insulation. The oil actually helps to protect the cage, and the pipe insulation absorbs some of it. This acts as a long life air freshener that actually helps protect the cage (minimally). I personally love the smell of lemon oil, so this was a win-win situation for me.

Good luck.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 04:51 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

1969Mach1,
I was planning on getting a $2-3k paint job on mine, but then I started thinking about it. I don't know if I want to put that much into it if someone can just walk up next to it and key it. So I decided to do the body work myself and get a $500-$800 dollar paint job. Plus, I don't have a garage, so it'd always be exposed to the elements.

mustanggt350,
Why does your friend want the cage? The reason I ask is that I am not so sure the one you are talking about is NHRA legal. I could be wrong, but I believe that that side bar (diagonal) that goes in front of the door has to pass somewhere b/t your shoulder and elbow. The one you are talking about (if we're talking about the same bar) runs along the floor (horizontally). I would figure that if your friend wanted a roll cage, he'd want one that he could actually use at the track at events. ANYWAY, I know you didn't ask all that.

Mine is from S&W Race Cars . It cost me $150. It looks awesome in the car. LOVE IT. They actually sell the 8-point cage for $150 (good price), don't think they sell a 6-point cage, but all you would do is leave out the 2 crossbars. The picture that is shown on the website doesn't quite look like the actual one, but it's close (IMO, the actual one looks better).

PKRWUD,
I appreciate the advice. I'm willing to try this. But one other Q: would this not hurt the paint that I put on the bars? And will the padding slide around b/c of the slick surface or would underneath the padding get all moldy? Thanks

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 07-29-2002, 09:35 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Quote:
PKRWUD,
I appreciate the advice. I'm willing to try this. But one other Q: would this not hurt the paint that I put on the bars? And will the padding slide around b/c of the slick surface or would underneath the padding get all moldy? Thanks
I can't say whether or not it would harm the paint, but it left my black primer in good shape. Most Lemon Oil that is used for furniture is paint safe because many of the woods it is there to protect are painted. Still you might want to try this on an inconspicuous part first.

As far as the padding sliding around, I had mine fitted between the other posts, so it really had no where to slide to. I also used color coordinated zip ties every 18 inches that were snug, but not too tight.

As far as the padding becoming moldy, lemon oil is a petroleum base, and will actually repel moisture, rather than attract it.

Use your best judgement. Don't put on so much that it drips out the end of the padding, but do more than just brush the cage with a rag once. I know you'll be pleased, and I'm sure any lemon oil will work, but the stuff I used was Old English Lemon Oil.

Enjoy!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

ROLL CAGE!

Man I would give ANYTHING to go back and not have put one in my car. BIGGEST MISTAKE IVE EVER MADE.

I hate climbing over it. Man I kick myself about puttin in a cage, race seats and removing the sound deadening. What I wouldn't give to have the stock interior back.

As for ridding the smell, I put in all new carpet, and a airfreshener.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:12 AM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman
ROLL CAGE!

Man I would give ANYTHING to go back and not have put one in my car. BIGGEST MISTAKE IVE EVER MADE.

I hate climbing over it. Man I kick myself about puttin in a cage, race seats and removing the sound deadening. What I wouldn't give to have the stock interior back.

As for ridding the smell, I put in all new carpet, and a airfreshener.

Skyler
Sissy

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Cool. Got it. Thanks, PKRWUD.

Hey Skyman, I remember you making a comment in the past about how much you hated your roll cage. Perhaps in your case, I can kinda sorta see why you'd want back your old interior (which was probably REALLY NICE and comfortable). However, in my case my old stock interior SUCKED! Nasty, icky, yucky, whatever word ya wanna use, that was mine. It needed to be completely redone. Thus, I decided since I was gonna strip it down, then for safety and the ability to be able to run FunFord events in the future, I decided to go with a 6-point cage and Corbeau Targa RS race seats (and new carpet, etc, etc). Right now, even though my interior is only about halfway done, I'm LOVIN it. I have a street car (a very slow 90 LX hatchback 4-banger) which has a "comfortable" interior (feels like you're sitting on a couch at home), but I don't want this coushy interior in the '79. I want it to "feel" race-ready and IMO, "race-ready" does not = coushy interior.

In any case, you could always just cut out the cage in your car and remove it.

tireburner,

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 08-01-2002, 06:44 AM   #11
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I would definetely put a cage in my car!

However, I would NEVER EVER EVER remove the sound deadening.I actually added some thicker deadening when I redid my carpet. Too FREEKIN loud without it, and makes the car feel flimsy and cheap, like a KIA

I love a car that is rumbles when you're standing outside next to her, while being clean, comfortable, reasonably quiet and air conditioned on the inside. Some aftermarket car audio to overcome the lack of cats doesn't hurt either!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:44 AM   #12
Coupe Devil

Hey man, Did you take any pictures of the install or what it looks like now.. I hopefully ( crosses fingers ) will be putting mine in this weekend, I would like to see soem more examples of what others cages look like, to make sure I dont screw anything up.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:33 PM   #13
82 GT
Import Slayer

Yeah man, I would love to see some pictures of this thing too.
Jamal, check your PM.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:28 PM   #14
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Mustangbelle,
I don't think I'd fool with removing the sound deadener either. I did toss out all the old stuff and cleaned the floor down to the bare metal. I got some new ACC carpet from Texas Mustang (medium grey). The new stuff comes with sound deadener on under it.

pony_power_90 and 82 GT,
Forgive me for being so slack and not taking more recent pictures. Okay. Here are some I took when the cage was fitted in (minus the 2 diagonal side bars). BTW, I got my cage from S&W racing and decided to leave out the 2 cross bars that go to the transmission hump (trying to relieve some weight, but I think those bars help ALOT if the car ever rolls).
Some more advice: TRY TO PAINT AS MUCH OF THE CAGE AS POSSIBLE B4 YOU PUT IT IN THE CAR!!!!! It ain't fun trying to paint it after it's all been welded in. That's what I'm doing now (well, last night). If I could've done it over, I would've AT LEAST primered it b4 fitting/welding it. Another thing: After you get it welded in, try to jump on wirebrushing the welds, cleaning them off a little and primering and painting them. With mild steel, you can't wait to long or it'll start rusting. There where certain spots on mine which I had to brush mine down. What's that stinking thing called, the one where you put the round wire brush on the end of a drill and clean/polish/sand down metal to get top rust off???? Anyway, that's what made my night hard last night. I had to spend time cleaning off the bars, b/c it started to slightly rust. I had to do this of course b4 I started painting it. I got the primer on in the most important spots. But in any case try to do all this B4 you put the cage in the car (paint as much of the cage as you can cause it's hard to reach once it's in)
That's all I can think of right now (seems like I'm forgetting something-- but anyway...) Hope that helps a little.

Here are the pics. I wish I could've had some for you guys without the seats so you could see the interior better, but these are all I have. I was about to go outside right now and take some more and upload, but my brother took his camera with him to Atlanta, sooo

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video