MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
GoalieStr1
Registered Member

Default My only Mustang Pet peave

Today I finally went to the dealer to look at some new Gt's. O man were they sweet! Mach audio systems, in-dash cd changer, Bullit wheels and sweet a** leather seats. It was to die for. And yet I'm still debating whether to get Mustang GT or a Camero SS. Why? because of one thing, one thing that may sound stupid to most of you but actually means something to me... Those fake hood scoops and the ones by the door. Now I know they make the car look cool, and I'll give you that, it LOOKS nice. But they are just so fake. Everytime I tell my friends something about the car they're like "Oh, ure getting the car with the fake hood scoop". And I know I could just say well I could kick ure a** in with that car while u race me in ure Jetta, but it's still a factor to me. I just wanna know all of your opinions on Ford's fake hood scoops.

PS- for all the Camero lovers out there, I know the SS is faster than the GT, but the GT is cheaper so I could mod it more and I personally hate the interior of the Camero.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Fake scoops spoil the fun

If the fake scoops really spoil the Mustang GT for you than you obviously shouldn't buy it.

You're going to have to live with looking at that fake hood scoop every time you get behind the wheel of the Mustang, should you buy it, so if it truly bothers you, that's a factor to weigh.

I find your annoyance with the scoops a rather superficial complaint but as you said, it's important to you and this would be your car, your money, so you need to do as you think best, not what others say you should do, including me.

I suspect you really want the Camaro (for it's superior performance) but prefer the Mustang for it's looks and quality and the scoops are as good a reason as any to pass on the 'Stang. Maybe not. I guess we'll find out, eventually.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Here is my solution, but the new Mach I, and since I suggested the idea, buy me one too. =) lol It's got the shaker so it's not fake, it's got a hell of alot of power, and I can't remember the stats quite off hand but I think it will hand the Camaro it's a** on a silver platter, although the Camaro is now finished. I know what ya're saying, my '69 scoops arn't real, although I'm debating putting a shaker or punching the whole threw my hood and mounting the scoop back on it so it will just flow the air threw my engine real nice. =)

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Here's a idea. They sell kits that make the factory scoop functional(sp?), boom no more fake hood scoop problems.

As for the side scoops you could make them functional and use them to cool the rear brakes.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #5
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

it irks me too, ford designed the body molds an its nice to look at but does zero for performance. a hood scoop is a minor thing in the purchase of a car IMO. put a shaker hood scoop on the top, and give the stock one to yer friend as a present from mustang an watch the dance

camaros: they were discontinued for a reason.
my ex had a 99 rs, nice looker but impossible to get out of if ya over 4 ft tall.
the SS is a hell of a lot more. if your in SS territiory, your a hop skip an jump from a cobra.. somthin to think about.

only buy a camaro if ya like killin your head on that cheap ***-impossible-to-get-out-of-cavern of a cockpit, knockin ya knuckles on that plastic 4 foot dashboard, workin on your car from under the dashboard and ya like listening to the valves tearing up the block

if you were gonnna go GM, i'd find a 98-00 Tranz-am WS6. for style and performance. all camaros jus look cheap to me.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:21 PM   #6
Mach 1
Registered Member

Who cares what your freinds think? I like the looks of the new stangs, and would buy one if I could afford it.

The scoops add styling and character, functional or not. Go for it.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:06 AM   #7
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up looks of GT are cool

Took me awhile to get used to the look of the "New Edge" Mustangs as they are called,but in my opinion the 99-present cars look a lot better than the 94-98 cars,if I could afford it I would be first in line to get a Mach 1 but i know they are going to charge out the butt for it,and then only make 5-6 thousand of them,oh well I will just enjoy my 2000 Mustang GT long as it stays reliability

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:59 AM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: looks of GT are cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked408
Took me awhile to get used to the look of the "New Edge" Mustangs as they are called,but in my opinion the 99-present cars look a lot better than the 94-98 cars,if I could afford it I would be first in line to get a Mach 1 but i know they are going to charge out the butt for it,and then only make 5-6 thousand of them,oh well I will just enjoy my 2000 Mustang GT long as it stays reliability
It took me a while to get used to the new ones as well, and even though I still like my 94 better, I feel that the new design is gorgeous in a different way

Let me get this straight...you're not going to buy a car because of a SCOOP?!?!?! You must be female My suggestion to you is to NOT buy a Mustang...if you're that nitpicky, you're probably better off in an import...just don't mod it, since alot of the aftermarket stuff for rice IS fake.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
The Sandman
Registered Member

The hood scoop on the SS is pointless as well. By the time the air gets 'sucked in' it has to do a 360 before it goes to the engine, plenty of time for it to be heated up.
If you want raw looks and great power, get a WS6 or an 01 Cobra.
The Camaro performs the same as the WS6 but it looks like @$$ compared to it.

« Red Firebird »
[ A4 ][ W68 ]

[ Interior Painted Red/Black ][ Wings West Spoiler (Black) ][ Firebat Decals ]
[ (^ How-to For ^) ][ Zaino'ed x 17 ]
[ Mobil 1 ][ Flowmaster 80 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LS1.com Moderator
FirebirdV6.com Moderator
North Bay Mustang Moderator
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:41 PM   #10
YellowStangGurl
Registered Member

if i were u id go for the camaro SS... the new 35th anniversary edition are freakin baaaaaaaaad.... the red ones are sweeeet too.... i almost got a camaro instaed of a mustang but yellow camaros are just plain ugly =) .... my bf is getting a SS... he wants black but i dunno gets dirty pretty fast... i want him 2 get a red one... anyway thats my opinion =) byeeee

Meow !
YellowStangGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:32 AM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

if you dont like the scoop, then i will trade you my 2k hood, i would kill for the scoop,

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

A new SS is going to set you back more than the new Mach 1 or about the same as the new Cobra. Both the Mach 1 and the Cobra will be faster.

The Mach 1 is quite possibly the best deal for a high performance car on the market today, IMHO. $28,500. The Cobra is faster, obviously, but tips the pocketbook at $35,000.

By the way, on one of the viper forums a guy just clicked 1000mi on his Cobra and ran it with some of the extra weight dumped out like jack and spare. He ran it to a 12.3@118mph. That'll smoke a Z06.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up smoke a lot

that time will smoke a lot of cars from any era.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:59 AM   #14
The Sandman
Registered Member

Unit - you are wrong on two things.

One:
The Mach 1 is a beautiful car, but it's not the best bang for the buck. You can get a 2002 stripped Z28 for around or under 22k, which will run high 12s stock. Doubt it if you wish, it doesn't matter. It's faster.

Two:
The times are the Cobra are pretty much BS. Think about it. Evan Smith couldn't get it faster and he had similar conditions. He also put on a bigger (Lightning I believe) pulley; while he ran faster, it's still no 118 trap. It was like 113 mph. The new Cobra is a wonderful machine, but it's still no ZO6 or Viper slayer.

« Red Firebird »
[ A4 ][ W68 ]

[ Interior Painted Red/Black ][ Wings West Spoiler (Black) ][ Firebat Decals ]
[ (^ How-to For ^) ][ Zaino'ed x 17 ]
[ Mobil 1 ][ Flowmaster 80 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LS1.com Moderator
FirebirdV6.com Moderator
North Bay Mustang Moderator
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 12:07 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sandman
Unit - you are wrong on two things.

One:
The Mach 1 is a beautiful car, but it's not the best bang for the buck. You can get a 2002 stripped Z28 for around or under 22k, which will run high 12s stock. Doubt it if you wish, it doesn't matter. It's faster.

Two:
The times are the Cobra are pretty much BS. Think about it. Evan Smith couldn't get it faster and he had similar conditions. He also put on a bigger (Lightning I believe) pulley; while he ran faster, it's still no 118 trap. It was like 113 mph. The new Cobra is a wonderful machine, but it's still no ZO6 or Viper slayer.
#1 The Mach 1 ran 12.97@105 on a 90 someodd degree day with high humidity. That's as quick or faster than a lot LS1s when you correct it.

#2 The Cobra owner (who owns both a coupe, and a ragtop), and a fricken Viper, posted timeslips. There goes your inaccurate statement deal. I guess the LS1 guys hate the idea of getting stomped by a Mustang again.

#3 The MSRP on a new "stripper" Z28 is about $22,000. To make the Z28 compare on the same level as the Mach 1, you're gonna be shelling out at least $29,000. I don't know as the dealers are even selling the cars near MSRP in most cases. The F bodies are getting a lot of interest. Even so, they'll NEVER hold value like the Mach 1 will. So in 5 years, you figure out what the two are worth. You can't ever figure price of a car ONLY on the retail price. In five years I bet the Mach 1 is still selling for over 20k. Look at the 96 Cobra's!!! You can touch a nice one under $16k. I've seen them listed for $18k still. The Z28's hold pretty decent, but I could get a 96 for under $10k pretty easy if I looked hard enough. So if you buy a Mach 1, drive it for 5 years, you will only lose $6k-8k of value on the car IMHO. Drive that $22k stripped down Camaro for 5 years, and you'll lose over $10k on the vehicles value.

Oh, and btw. Driving a nice car vs a piece of crap is worth something in my opinion as well. So best deal for performance? Since the Camaro isn't a deal at $15k, I guess that means the Mach 1 still wins.

Last edited by Unit 5302; 06-16-2002 at 12:14 PM..
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:40 PM   #16
Tod
Registered Member

after the new Cobra (never gonna happen BUT A GUY CAN DREAM CAN'T HE?!?) *ahem* sorry........, the choice for me is deffinately a WS6 Trans Am. the more i see and HEAR them, the more and more i want having one. can't beat the way they look and sound. anyone have a spare $70K to lend me so i can buy both? no, seriously.........
Old 06-18-2002, 12:01 PM   #17
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The new mach 1 will be as fast as a normal LS1 stock vs stock. After a few mods though there is NO comparison the LS1 would own the mach 1.

With just a few bolt ons you have a really low 12 second or 11 second car. Its hard to beat an LS1 for straight line performance dollar for dollar. JMO

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #18
rbatson

I wish the scoops were functional, as well. I still like the look of them and like someone else said, you can always get a functional hood.

What bolt-ons will put an LS1 in the low12s-high11s?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:33 PM   #19
mustanggt350
Registered Member

Default Re: My only Mustang Pet peave

Quote:
PS- for all the Camero lovers out there, I know the SS is faster than the GT, but the GT is cheaper so I could mod it more and I personally hate the interior of the Camero. [/B]
If you are going to mod it anyway go with the Mustang and put a new hood and side scoops on it. As you say it is cheaper and I'm sorry but I think it is A LOT more comfortable. The last time I was in a 2002 camero I felt like my a** was dragging on the pavement and I couldn't see over the steering wheel . LOL Yes, I'm short!! But Feisty!!

Later,

Shelby

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:08 AM   #20
PKRWUD

Most of the popular cars down through history that had scoops, had fake scoops. I have always thought that was kinda chicksh*t, but it never took that much to make them functional, so who cares? They make the Mustang look good, and with a little work, you can have them be functional. If you based your opinion of a vehicles worth on whether or not it's scoops were real, then you can forget all of the Super Sport Chevelles, Camaros and Novas (except for those with a cowl induction, or the new SS Camaro), most of the Mustangs, the Chargers and Challengers, the Trans Ams, etc. C'mon, man, give me a break.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote