MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Default BCS Mess

Ok, I think you guys know that I enjoy college football and one team in particular...but anywho:

What do you guys think of Oklahoma going to the Sugar bowl after getting embarrassed Saturday night?

Here's what I think: They (the BCS) have got it wrong. USC is the number 1 team in both polls and they're not in the National Championship game??!?!? Are you kidding me? I feel for any of the USC fans out there because you are getting the shaft.

And what about this scenario: USC whips up on Michigan and Oklahoma loses to LSU in a tight game...then do we have 'co-champions?' What a crock.

Thoughts?

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I could see Ok going to the Sugar Bowl if they lost by, say a field goal. But 28 pts, no way.

All I know is Tennessee got shafted out of the Orange Bowl.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I think you have co-champs as long as USC wins, regardless of if LSU or OU win the sugar.

I don't see how you can leave any of these three times out of the title game. Sure, OU got handled by K-State, but they do have 12 wins and are basically getting hurt because the Big 12 has a championship game. You can't take anything away from USC or LSU either. LSU plays and wins their title game beating a tough Georgia team for the second time in Atlanta, and it is not USC's fault that their strength of schedule fell off because Auburn and Notre Dame had down years.

To leave any of these teams out is not right. You can make arguments for all of them, but IMO, they all deserve to be in that game. At least this may finally get rid of the BCS and get some type of playoff system into place.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

the bcs sux, period, geaux tigers , lol

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 PM   #5
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Have a playoff and be done with it. Top 16 or 18 teams (ap and coaches poll rankings) single elimination. Then college football would be like any other normal sport and wouldn't be all fooked up like it is with the BCS.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:22 PM   #6
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

Playoff sounds good but then you still have the same crap with who gets in the playoffs (to many teams). Oklahoma may have gotten clobbered but that's only one loss same as everyone else plus they played an extra game.

I personally think LSU and Ok play in a tougher conference. You have to look at strength of schedule even if you don't like it or you would end up with TCU ranked in the top 5.

You have to agree it is better now than it used to be when it was all opinion.

My personnel opinion Ok would have killed USC anyway. They just don't have the defense.

But it is what it is and in saying that I will be pulling for LSU not that they are my team but I think they have one of the best teams in college football.

Go Rebs beat the cowboys (cotton bowl bound)
BigCountryGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

At least if you went to a 16 team playoff, you'd be debating on who is the 17th or 18th best team in the nation to get into the playoffs. The debate wouldn't be over who is number 2 or 3, so that would be a little better.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 12-09-2003, 02:26 AM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7
At least if you went to a 16 team playoff, you'd be debating on who is the 17th or 18th best team in the nation to get into the playoffs. The debate wouldn't be over who is number 2 or 3, so that would be a little better.
Exactly. And if they used the AP and coaches poll rankings to get the top 16 teams it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't seem like a problem week to week when the new polls come out so I don't think it would be a problem towards the end of the year either.

At least with a playoff format, the eventual national champion team would have to win a couple games against quality competition instead of one single game. Any team can win a single game on any given day. Putting together a string of wins against top quality competition takes real talent.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #9
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I like the idea of a 16 team playoff field, however you would be adding 4 games to the regular season which may be a bit much seeing as lots of teams are already play 12 and 13 game regular seasons. Maybe the top 8 would go to the playoffs. At least that way you wouldn't be leaving out a top tier contender like USC.

College football playoffs...gosh, could you just imagine the interest and $$$ involved in that!

E

Old 12-09-2003, 12:59 PM   #10
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Limit the regular season to something like ten games. Most conferences can get away with playing 8 conference games. That leaves you two out of conference games to schedule plus the playoffs. The only problem with this set up is that smaller school may miss out on the revenue they get when scheduling large schools early in the season since the large schools would probably schedule tougher competition for their two out of conference games.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #11
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Forget the playoffs and the BCS. Let AP do their job. We can argue over that and be just as happy. This year it is a tough call most years it ain't this close.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #12
mustardjohn
Registered Member

The Rose Bowl won't let any body in but two conferences. That's their problem. You think USC would come to New Orleans and Play LSU in the Sugar. Not on your Life. And they ain't asking Ok to come to LA either. Let em be third.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #13
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
The Rose Bowl won't let any body in but two conferences. That's their problem. You think USC would come to New Orleans and Play LSU in the Sugar. Not on your Life. And they ain't asking Ok to come to LA either. Let em be third.

That is not the case anymore. Just like last year Oklahoma played Washington State in the Rose bowl. The Rose Bowl used to always be the Pac-10 versus Big 10 champ, but the BCS did away with that.

Now, the BCS bowls rotate years for hosting the national title and who can select which teams first. It gets a little more complicated where bowls have the option of paying more to move up in the selection process, but you can only do that every so often. And, that cannot be done for the tile game as far as I know.

And, LSU is just fortunate that they are playing for a title in their backyard. That is just the way the bowls worked out this year. It has nothing to do with teams wanting or not wanting to play in the Sugar. That is not up to them with the BCS in place.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Last edited by Hethj7; 12-09-2003 at 11:21 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 PM   #14
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
Forget the playoffs and the BCS. Let AP do their job. We can argue over that and be just as happy. This year it is a tough call most years it ain't this close.
Also, most years the BCS has been in place (since 1998) it has been this close. The only difference is that usually it is a big debate over who is number 2, not number 1 like this year.

For example, when Nebraska played for the title a few years ago, they didn't even play in the Big 12 championship game, yet they were number 2 in the BCS and were sent to the national title game without even playing for the Big 12 title, let alone winning it. And, the year OK won it all, they lost the Big 12 title game I believe. And, one year FSU played for the title even though both them and Miami had one loss. Miami had beaten FSU in the regualr season, but FSU was sent to the title game.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 PM   #15
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

I think LSU and Ok deserve credit for playing the extra game. It is hard to beat a team like Georgia twice in the same season. 12-1 is better than 11-1 any way you cut it. Maybe they should have a playoff between conference champs with big conferences (SEC, Big ten, Big twelve) getting two bids.

I predict that Michigan will beat USC two touchdowns.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:27 PM   #16
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

What would be cool is if the winner of the Rose and the Sugar played each other like a week later, but that will never happen.

I agree with you. Michigan has been coming on strong and will by far be the toughest opponent USC has faced all year. I can definitely see them losing that one. Although, USC gets to play in their own backyard, so that could definitely be a factor.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 12-10-2003, 07:48 AM   #17
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Ok, I think you guys know that I enjoy college football and one team in particular...but anywho:
How'd they do in their last Big Ten game of the year BTW?

Quote:
What do you guys think of Oklahoma going to the Sugar bowl after getting embarrassed Saturday night?
I'm a little torn. I know LSU is good, but I think it should be OU and USC in the title game.

Quote:
And what about this scenario: USC whips up on Michigan and Oklahoma loses to LSU in a tight game...then do we have 'co-champions?' What a crock.
Very plausible, except I sure as hell hope USC doesn't whip Michigan. If the Michigan team that lost to Oregon and Iowa shows up, I think USC will win by a touchdown. If the Michigan team from the second half of the season shows up, its gonna be Maize and Blue by 14 points. USC is a very good team, but so is Michigan. This ones gonna be interesting.

Oh yeah and.........GO BLUE !!!!
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!

Last edited by MTU 50; 12-10-2003 at 08:11 AM..
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:08 AM   #18
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

Michigan has been playing good ball lately and they will beat USC. Ohio State and Kansas State will also be a killer game.

Anybody know much about Oklahoma State? I saw some of the game with Oklahoma. How is their defense?

What about the Heisman?

I'm defiantly biased toward my man Eli, but I just don't think they won enough games.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

MTU: Michigan outplayed Ohio State this year - plain and simple. Congrats to Michigan. (Side note: we won the last two years and got the National Championship last year )

As for Michigan and USC and ignoring all this BCS crap, I want Michigan to throttle USC like a red headed step child. On the other hand I kind of want the BCS to blow up by having co-champions. Either way, I think the Michigan-USC and Ohio State - Kansas State games are going to be the best games out there. I just hope Michigan comes to play - they seem to struggle on the road, especially out west (Oregon this year, Washington St. last year) or in bowl games (i.e. when Tennessee spanked them like 50 to nothing a couple years ago). The fact is that Michigan has some incredible talent and if they can put it all together, they are one of the top teams in country. If Navarre has time, he can pick you apart; the receiving unit is stellar with Edwards, et al., and Chris Perry is a very solid, explosive back. Couple that with a pretty good defense and they should beat USC.

Moving onto the Ohio State-K. State game...this one has me a little nervous after seeing the OU game. K. State looked unstopable with the combination of their small, but speedy back and Ell Roberson at QB who can hurt you with his legs as well as the pass. It's going to be a good game to watch, no doubt.

I love college football!

E

Old 12-10-2003, 10:46 AM   #20
CobraJet428
Registered Member

Default Playoffs Are the Answer

Playoffs are the answer and I think it should be done by conference champions or a point system of some sort based on the strength of your oponents. This won't be perfect either, but it will be fairer than what is currently in place. At least Div 1-AA and the other NCAA divisions have playoffs...GO WOFFORD TERRIERS (DIV I-AA , Spartanburg,SC). They play in the D-I-AA Semi's this Saturday. Wofford won the Southern Conference title. The Southern conf. is home to two former 1-AA national champions, Furman (Greenville,SC), and Georgia Southern (Statesboro).
Rice Haters Club Member #237
2007 Vista Blue Mustang GT Convertible w/black top and charcoal interior, 18-in. polished aluminum wheels.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger Longbed, 400M w/automatic and 2 fuel tanks...get the picture?
1993 Mustang GT Dark Blue/Grey 2-tone. Flowmaster Mufflers and blackouts on the headlights. RIP (10/31/99).
1968 Mustang 6 cyl/C4 automatic
1938 Ford Pickup, Flathead V8 (85HP) with granny 4-speed..a restoration work in progress.
CobraJet428 is offline   Reply With Quote