MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Would you run from the cops if you knew your car would be impounded permently?
Poll Options
Would you run from the cops if you knew your car would be impounded permently?

Old 11-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Default would you run?

Ok I'm doing this survey for English Comp I. Please answer honestly.

Supose that you have just been caught street racing. You know that your car will be impounded permently if you are caught. Would you consider running?

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default I voted yes...

I may catch some **** on this one, but what the hell, I'm going to get busted anyways if I pull over. After all the work I've put into my car, I can risk the 6 months I'll be behind bars if i'm caught. Who knows, maybe I'll get away and get off the hook easy. I don't know that I'd make it some high speed freeway chase though, if it turned into that, I'd have to pull over due to public safety. That's my honest opinion, later, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Depends. If I see lights, I'll pull over. If were racing and I see the cop flip a U to come get us, you be damn sure I'm down a couple of side streets into a parking garage/lot. In CA, its not a felony until they hit the siren, and you're not pursued until there are lights. So it depends on what you consider being 'caught'.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Yeah.....I have ran and gotten away once.....

I know it wasnt smart,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:44 PM   #5
PKRWUD

This won't be popular, I'm sure, but if you are stupid enough to do anything that would result in the loss of your car, then you shouldn't have it in the first place.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your poll because I wouldn't be that stupid. When I was younger, and knew everything, I probably would have ran. In fact, I know I would. I did some very, very stupid things in my youth.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
This won't be popular, I'm sure, but if you are stupid enough to do anything that would result in the loss of your car, then you shouldn't have it in the first place.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your poll because I wouldn't be that stupid. When I was younger, and knew everything, I probably would have ran. In fact, I know I would. I did some very, very stupid things in my youth.

Take care,
~Chris
People change I ran back in 96' when I had my brand new formula fireturd.

I would not do it again.....Older and wiser I guess.

Later,
Old 11-15-2002, 06:34 PM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

i voted no. i would not run from the police. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE WORSE OFF IF YOU RUN THAN YOU WOULD HAVE IF YOU JUST SIMPLY PULLED OVER!!! Also, the lives you would be endagering and also the jailtime vs. the ticket. Not my cup of tea. That is why they have "Police Scariest Chases" on TV cause some of us would rather try to ditch the cops rather than face the music.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
this is not cbring
Registered Member

no.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:10 PM   #9
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Hmm.. I'd have to say it depends, when I was racing a Porsche. What was going threw my mind is if a cop pulls out I'm not slowing down. By the time he would pull out we'd both be gone. I'd park my car away and not drive it for awhile. When I got my ticket in the summer, I seen a white impala pull out (I knew it was most likely a cop) so I tried to turn off quickly before he put his sirens on, but as soon as he did I pulled over. I wouldn't really consider running unless I had a very very very good chance of getting away, and it was safe. My dad ran when he was younger is his '71 Mustang Mach 1, it had a 302 Boss in it all done up. The cop ended up catching him later that day in traffic, but he wasn't able to prove it was my dad so he got off. It still doesn't pay to run. Your only going to piss off the cop even more.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:20 PM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Hmm.. I'd have to say it depends, when I was racing a Porsche. What was going threw my mind is if a cop pulls out I'm not slowing down. By the time he would pull out we'd both be gone. I'd park my car away and not drive it for awhile. When I got my ticket in the summer, I seen a white impala pull out (I knew it was most likely a cop) so I tried to turn off quickly before he put his sirens on, but as soon as he did I pulled over. I wouldn't really consider running unless I had a very very very good chance of getting away, and it was safe. My dad ran when he was younger is his '71 Mustang Mach 1, it had a 302 Boss in it all done up. The cop ended up catching him later that day in traffic, but he wasn't able to prove it was my dad so he got off. It still doesn't pay to run. Your only going to piss off the cop even more.

§am.
My old man did a very similar thing in a 69 Boss 302, with his father in law and brother in law. Only they made it home and were sitting on the front porch when the cop came down the street. Funny story. I think its a little different now a days with the proliferation of air patrol and more cops around I don't know if that kind of stuff would fly anymore.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #11
Pokey 5.0
Prince the Porcelain Pimp

you need to add "NO I WONT DO IT AGAIN!" as a choice.

this is how self stupidity will change they way you drive.

i ran from the Chicago cops ONCE. last time ill EVER even consider running from the cops. it was pretty much stupidity on my part. there was a queer-maro in the right lane(i think this kid just got the car) he keeps rappin the motor, and i decided i as gonna give this guy the @ss-kickin of a lifetime. needless to say the light turns green, i light the hides, and sitting in the Mc Donalds drive-thru a block away is one of chicago's finest. i saw him and thought to myself " im already rolling, he aint gonna get me". i go another block, turn and i dont see anything.little did i remember that my bro was behind me in my buddy's lightning(stayed right on my bumper). when i turned, he turned, and the cop just followed him. after my bro slowed just enough, he held the cop just long enough for me to get away(so i thought) after being 8 blocks in front of the cop(looking for a dark alley, youd think id find one in chicago) i turn down a side street parked the car and shut it off. 10 mins go by and just when think its safe theres the spotlight shining in my back window(cop made a lucky turn). cop gets out of the car SHE pulls a gun on me and utters this: WELCOME TO CHICAGO, WE DONT ****** AROUND! 17 tickets later im lucky i still had a car and didnt get arrested. driving home it hits me what i just did and all i thought was if i was that cop i wouldve taken my car and tossed me i the back of the squad. now i just leave the "punk kids" alone on the street cuz after all my life and my car arent worth losing it all to stupidity or even worse possibly killing someone else.

IF THE THOUGHT EVER CROSSES YOUR MIND TO RUN, THINK ABOUT THE SEVERITY OF CONSEQUENCES FIRST. USUALLY ITS THE INNOCENT ONES THAT YOULL END UP HURTING!

Tony
NMRA P/S #5131

CMP Racing
Flaming River
Pakman Motorsports
Belden Inc.
UPR Products
All Show Polishing (Rob 708-997-0226)
Strange Engineering
Pokey 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:34 PM   #12
andy669
Registered Member

I voted no. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not because it doesnt involve street racing, but in 1994 my only brother was killed in a high speed chase. He was 29, the same age I am now. In the end, I considered my parents and myself lucky, he was the only one killed. If someone totally innocent were hurt or killed as a direct result of his actions, I dont know what we would have done to cope.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:36 PM   #13
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

NO, i did it a lot back in the early 70's & got away with it, but there wasnt half as many car's etc. now no i would just face the music, i raced a camaro, he had me by three car's on the freeway, i just let out of it, he kept on & ran a van off the road, what a d--k

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:18 AM   #14
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking No

NO...I couldnt outrun them anyways!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:15 AM   #15
jj_jonathon
Trisket

this is one of those situation specific things....completely depends on whats going on...theres a difference between ducking down some sidestreets to avoid a ticket and starting tonight's latebreaking news bulletin by doing a cop chase to mexico....lol...and of course theres everything in between and more...yes and no just doesnt work....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:22 AM   #16
MEDIK418
Registered Member

"Not no, but Hell no" ( my dad's favorite response to any request I made that involved money or illegal activities)

It's too dangerous, not to myself so much as it would be to the hundreds of mindless drones cruising the streets who probably don't know I'm coming. I've done some stupid things over the years and I've been busted for a few but I was taught to take my lumps and get on with life. Part of the query said that I knew going in that if caught, the car would go away. . .that's fair warning and I guess I would just have to adapt to life with feet again.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 08:31 AM   #17
this is not cbring
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jj_jonathon
this is one of those situation specific things....completely depends on whats going on...theres a difference between ducking down some sidestreets to avoid a ticket and starting tonight's latebreaking news bulletin by doing a cop chase to mexico....lol...and of course theres everything in between and more...yes and no just doesnt work....
a simple no would work for me.....i wouldn't duck down a sidestreet.........i know to many people who got charged with evading arrests for stuff even more innocent than that (like continue driving until there is a shoulder to pull off) and enough people who've gotten slapped around by the cops.......that i'll pull over immediately in hopes of not getting the hell beaten out of me
Old 11-16-2002, 12:14 PM   #18
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

In my situation we were way outside of town (wide open roads) and street racing. I was racing a 93 cobra in my 96 fireturd, we fly past the end of the 1/4 doing 100mph when I look in the rearview and see the flashing lights behind us. I let off the gas and as the lights got closer I noticed it was a county sherrif in a suburban. I knew there wasnt any way he could keep up so I gunned it up to 140mph, the cobra was right behind me. We went for about 12-15 miles and pulled off on an oilfield lease road,we followed the winding dirt roads back into town, split up and got away. I was paranoid for weeks afterward wondering if he got our plates.

The same sherriff pulled me over years later when I was in my truck and he let me off with a warning. He was a pretty cool guy and it made me feel bad that I risk his life chasing my stupid @ss.

You live,You learn.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:16 PM   #19
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I will offer this. About two years ago I was travelling down the highway about 20 miles from Amarillo, following a DPS car (at a safe distance) when one of the kids from here in town whom I know, passed us at about 140-150. going the opposite direction. The Trooper slammed on his brakes and pulled over like he was going to pull a u-turn but I guess he realized it was too late to do anything. The road is kind of hilly but real straight and before he could even get stopped the LX (did I fail to mention it was a really nice 91 LX?) was out of sight. Some time later, I asked the kid how fast he was going and he claimed 155 if it had speedo number that would go that high. He did say it took about an hour longer to get home that day with all the detours he took on the way.
FYI. . .that same car was involved with a high speed wreck with a Vette about a year ago and niether car survived. Both were going the same direction and nobody was killed fortunately. I haven't heard who was wining the race, he's since enrolled in the Marines. Seems he needed to leave town for a while.

My wife worries about the youngest son doing something like this but think about it. You live in a town of about 1500 people, you drive a Lime green thing with a big wing on it (see avatar) your dad is a volunteer firefighter and Paramedic who is on a first name basis with the local Chief of Police and half the deputies in the county. . . would you run from the cops here? He does get pulled over a lot by this one Highway Patrolman here. The guy races a 12 second 90 GT around here and likes to keep up on everything we've done to the car. It keeps the boy on his toes.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.

Last edited by MEDIK418; 11-16-2002 at 05:25 PM..
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:47 PM   #20
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

i posted yes, but now that i think about it, it would depend on the situation.
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote