MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Post I'm Confused?!?

Every once in a while, I'll float over to an import board just to see what's going on. The posts are usually somewhat intelligent but why do all of these kids put weird things in their signature under "mods".

I'm talking about things like window tint, stereo systems, tire size, clear lights, etc., etc. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Hell, if it works, I guess I'll put a $4000 stereo in my car if it's gonna put me in the 12's

------------------
91 GT AOD: 3.73's, Pulleys,PI Converter, 14.71@91.78mph
2.11 60'(before pulleys)
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 02:44 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I don't take offense to it, personally I just think they have a different idea of what mods consist of for the most part. I think the import crowd prides itself more on having a really *cool* looking car above anything else. Even if their *cool* car run 17's.

*cool* is a subjective term open to interpretation of all people based on a representation of what they believe is qualitatively a pleasing object.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 02:59 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

"*cool* is a subjective term open to interpretation of all people based on a representation of what they believe is qualitatively a pleasing object."

Boy did THAT get technical...
You're giving me college flashbacks Unit...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
Winston Churchill.

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 11:20 PM   #4
Jaydee
Registered Member

Perhaps if many of them actually had to list the items that actually made a positive difference in the performance of their car the signiture would be ahh, blank?

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 04:38 AM   #5
84_GT350
Registered Member

I agree with Jaydee. I think it's just because they have no REAL mods. To them it's all about coffee can exhaust tips, loud bass, huge rear wings, and stickers of the things they wish they had. But then again, that's my belief.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 10:50 AM   #6
rbatson

They have different priorities...
Old 02-27-2001, 06:39 PM   #7
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I believe thats just the way they want to spend there money and the way they want to look. Two people arent going to like the same thing. I love power so I got myself a mustang. Ol' Bruce likes Civics so he got him a gas economical civic. I put my mods on to add HP. He puts his modifications on to the looks and sound of it. We put exhaust on our cars dont we. Get that deep rumble out of them.
They might like that high pitched mouse-farting sound. Not trying to stick up for ricers but thats just what they like. I am sure they think we are crazy for dropping thousands of dollars in an everyday driver to just get worse gas mileage.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 07:13 PM   #8
Capri306

Cool

Yeah, but they're still fun to laugh at.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:30 PM   #9
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I agree with Smokedawg. To each his own. If they want all the looks and no power, fine with me. As long as they know what they have and don't try talk it up like they have much more.

I know I have the power, but maybe not the best looking car. Now, as long as the guy next to me knows he has the stereo and not the engine, then it doesn't matter to me.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:40 PM   #10
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Capri306:
Yeah, but they're still fun to laugh at.

I second that !

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:54 AM   #11
dinomite
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokedawg:
I believe thats just the way they want to spend there money and the way they want to look. Two people arent going to like the same thing. I love power so I got myself a mustang. Ol' Bruce likes Civics so he got him a gas economical civic. I put my mods on to add HP. He puts his modifications on to the looks and sound of it. We put exhaust on our cars dont we. Get that deep rumble out of them.
They might like that high pitched mouse-farting sound. Not trying to stick up for ricers but thats just what they like. I am sure they think we are crazy for dropping thousands of dollars in an everyday driver to just get worse gas mileage.
What your saying is right, but the thing is they then pretend like their car is actually fast. If they really were just putting it on to look "cool", then we wouldn't care. But the thing is that most people associate the things that they do with a car that actually is fast, and the ricers monopolize on that opportunity, and then say that their car is really fast.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:23 AM   #12
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
As I see it, it's all about Style over Substance. They're into looking fast, 'cool', flashy (weird colour schemes w/ decals), and let's not forget the ever important fart pipes.

Either that or most of these Asian guys (without sounding racial/prejudice) aren't 'big' enough to handle anything more then 4 cylinders, and over 80lb of TQ.

To me, it's all about torque (and a bit of HP) baby, and I can't get enough of the kick I get from my 5.0L!

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:21 AM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

...."high pitched mouse-farting sound"...lmao!!

Stang-crazy - before you bad mouth the ricers, look at what some people on this board have in their sigs as mods..we have some who are no better, or worse, and I brought this topic up once a long time ago here. I dont consider "split fire plugs, bosch platinums, accell cap and rotor, red spark plug wires, blah, blah.....you get the idea as mods. What some people consider mods, others dont. To each his own.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 11:08 AM   #14
Godslayer
Registered Member

I especially love it when you the guys with a piece and the bass is so loud all you can hear when you walk by their car is rattling Lots of these morons at school.. I've never had any rattles but I wonder if they are that loud inside? hehe tools..

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 01:51 PM   #15
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

It usually is pretty loud inside of one of those ricers with a system. A buddy of mine has one. But you can buy some kind of diamondsheeting at a radio store that you line the trunks with so they dont rattle as bad but its about $40 a square yard. That can get pretty expensive....

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 02:35 PM   #16
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Mach 1, in no way am I trying to cut up or insult these kids for what they do. I was just trying to figure out why they do it. Thats all. I know there are a few people on this board with imports and I was hoping they would reply to this. From looking at all the replies, I guess they are into style over performance. I don't know...to each his own I guess...

------------------
91 GT AOD: 3.73's, Pulleys,PI Converter, 14.71@91.78mph
(before pulleys)
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 02:58 PM   #17
DemonGT
Registered Member

the reason i list my stereo system in my sig is so if i ever ask for addvice on anything electronical it could have a effect on it...also on things like electric fans and high amp alternators...etc etc.

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,FMS 9mm wires
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote