MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Post Wounded Fox (flesh wound)

Well, she's kinda sick. Just a little cough--nothing too serious....

To make a long story short, I was in mid race with a NICE, black, Grand National Saturday night. I had him by 1/2 car length (his front bumper at my door), but just as he barely started to gain on me, I heard a *BANG* come from my car. My heart pounds and I think to myself, "Oh well, here we go. I knew something would break one day, just not so soon."

As I proceed to quickly pull into a gas station to shut her down, I feel a vibration coming from the car. It was the kind of vibration where it feels like something that is spinning is unbalanced. Well, anyway, turns out my fan shroud was just about disintergrated by my fan and in return, the fan had one less blade, hence the vibration.

So with her tail b/t her legs, she limps home while the whole time I'm reassuring her, "Baby it's okay. You're doing fine. I'm not mad at you."

Well made it home in one peace and replaced the 17" fan Sunday morning--- bi orivkens tgere
Now I'm in search for a new fan shroud, dangit!

Hey, could've been worse.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 08:56 PM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

Damn...that sucks. Something like that happened to a friend of mine once. He was driving a '6? Nova and messing with these girls in a Trans Am. He tried taking a corner at about 40 or 50mph and heard a loud "thunk". He procedes to pull over and we discover that the engine came loose off the motor mount on one side and put the fan through the radiator. So yeah....your's could've been worse.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:00 PM   #3
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Unhappy

At least your car isn't in a million pieces in the garage because you blew it up and now you don't know what's wrong with it...

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:26 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

You said it Fox, it could have been a lot worse. Thrown rod etc. Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. Loud noise and craping noise. This right after I had my radiator rodded out and completely redone. Seems one of the straps that are part of the radiator came unsoldered, wiping out the fan, shroud and the just redone radiator. The shop just didn't solder the strap back on properly when they did the work. But like with you, it could have been worse. I didn't even go back to the shop to complain. Just replaced the bent up stuff with brand new and figured I'd learned a lesson about that particular shop.

Oh, tell us what brand the fan was so we won't buy one.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I felt kinda bad to let off just as he started gaining on me (BTW, that thing was NOT bone stock). I hope he doesn't think that I let off on purpose to make it look like I won that race.
He would have continued to reel me and slowly leave me.

Rev, Heh, heh. It was your general Autozone fan. I got one (missing one blade) if you wanna buy it from me.

Hey 84_GT350, a while back, a friend of mine deposited his driveshaft on the middle of the hwy. He sold the Stang that same week.

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Greenthat I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 03-19-2001, 08:06 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

What's your red line Fox? Where do you shift at? My Flex Fan I think came from O'Reilly's, so it's probably from the same supplier. Oh well, just hope it doesn't let go on me.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:40 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Rev,

Not 100% sure what my redline is, but I'm pretty sure it's around 6000 rpm.

I shift at 5400 rpm.

My first guess as to why the fan hit the shroud was b/c the motor mounts were worn. But after checking them out, it doesn't seem that they are. I will check them more thoroughly before I really get down on it. It may be that the shroud was just coming down b/c I heard it kinda hitting the fan before I went out that night, but it was so slight that you could barely here it. I dunno, gonna hafta check it out.

Thankfully, it didn't slice any of my lines. I checked for a solid 10 minutes to make sure there was no damage. I found the path of the blade when it flew off: it flew to the left (driver side) and cleanly shaved off the lip of my windshield washer fluid cap. Also took off every lick of dirt on a place on the underside of my hood.

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 03-20-2001, 07:01 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Recently had to replace my motor mounts in my '66. The fan was hitting the shroud and that's how I detected the excessive torquing movement. Since mine were 35 yrs. old, I didn't ***** about replacing them. Fortunatly, the fan didn't lose a blade.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.